Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Those Wildings again!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 12 Oct 2004 13:45

I don't know what to do now, I am going around in circles. My great grandmother's father Frederick Wilding, stated on his marriage cert his father is Thomas Wilding Blacksmith, I have searched for Frederick's birth cert thought I found the right one born 1842 father Thomas, sent away for the cert but it cannot be him this Thomas is a bookeeper. Now I am stuck cannot find any Frederick Wilding's born between 1840's-1860's who could fit the bill. Not just that but Frederick & his wife Louisa seem to totally disappear after they married in 1882 in Chester, I cannot find them on any census, also cannot find deaths nothing. I really need some inspiration anyone out there any ideas where I could go from here??? Any suggestions much appreciated. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 14:25

Thomas might have changed his job. I have male relatives with different job titles on their marriage, children's marriage and death certs. nell

Pat

Pat Report 12 Oct 2004 14:31

Nell, Thanks for your reply, its always nice you are around, you often see things from different perspectives. I did wonder that myself but thought a big jump from bookeeper on birth cert to Blacksmith on marriage cert? I am checking these Wildings out but I am not totally convinced they are mine at all. I don't feel they are (sounds silly I know). I was so disappointed when the birth cert came yesterday that I put it back in the envelope totally fed up with this side of the family. Thanks again Nell Pat x

Helen

Helen Report 12 Oct 2004 14:57

Not sure if it's any help but there's a Thomas Wilden aged 44 on the 1881 Census who's a blacksmith. He's in Suffolk. I checked all the Thomas's born before 1845, just the one blacksmith and no bookeepers. Perhaps someone could check on 1871 and find this Thomas to see if he could be the right one?

Pat

Pat Report 12 Oct 2004 15:06

Helen, Thats terrific, I am on Ancestry at the moment checking 1871 census, hopefully I will come up with something. Thanks a lot Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 12 Oct 2004 15:35

Cannot find Thomas Widing on Ancestry. I checked that Thomas Wilden on the 1881 but it cannot be him this birth cert is 1842 for Frederick which would make this Thomas too young. These Wildings are proving to be a right pain. Thanks anyway Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 12 Oct 2004 20:48

Lyla, I hadnt seen that, where did you find it?, to be honest that age is closer than the Frederick i was looking at who was born 1842 I was looking for Frederick around Lancashire as that is where he got married in 1882. Frederick was down as a Carter, its his father Thomas that was down on the marriage cert as a Blacksmith. I thought maybe the reason I cannot find Frederick and Louisa after their marriage in 1882 is they may have gone to the U.S. and maybe Thomas was American after all, and thats why I cannot find a Thomas Wilding on a census as a Blacksmith or any with a son called Frederick? Thanks Lyla, I probably won't give up I was thinking of putting them away yet again for a few days and going back to my other lot. Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 02:18

Ah the Poison meat pie, now maybe Frederick and Thomas were invited for lunch and forgot to bring the lettuce!!! LOL> Pat x

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2004 04:54

Pat, What are the addresses and ages on the marriage cert? Also, what about their daughter, your g grandmother? Where and when was she born? Crista

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 12:26

Christa, My maternal Great Grandmother married in September 1902 West Bromwich registery office on her marriage cert her father's name is Frederick Whilding (deceased) Labourer. As I cannot find any Isabella or Frederick Whildings anywhere I went down the road to looking at the other spelling (Wilding) and I found: Isabella Wilding born October 1882 Chester her mother Louisa Hardman her father Frederick Wilding occupation Carter their marriage was in Hyde, Lancashire May 1882 Frederick's father is down as Thomas Wilding occupation Blacksmith. I haven't been able to find the Whildings/Wildings on any census and I am stuck again. Is that what you asked Crista? Pat x

John

John Report 13 Oct 2004 19:35

Hi Pat. Have you tried the Trade Directories like Slaters or Pigots, as they are the equivalent to our yellow pages today. Basically if they had an occupation they were listed by trade and also private address. If they were apprentices then they will not be listed as it is only the owners. Also try the 1851 census to try and get a fix. I am having a similar problem that I cannot find the marriage of my 2 times great grandfather, yet I have all the other info. Have only spent 6 years looking and found everybody else (currently 10,000 people between me and my partner) except my direct line! Hope this helps.

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 19:57

Hi John, Thanks for your suggestions, any chance you can tell me where I can get to see these directories? by the way I don't live in England anymore so do I have to ask for a look up? That is a good idea the 1851 census, I may ask for the 1861 too on the records office board. All suggestions are welcome, so many thanks once again, Good luck on your people too. Pat x

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2004 20:47

Pat, What about the ages on Frederick and Louisa's marriage cert? What was her father's name? Crista

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 21:01

Hi Crista, No ages for louisa & Frederick just states FULL AGE on marriage cert. Louisa Hardman born in Chester May 1861 Father George Hardman mother Ann nee Calland, Sorry Crista, thats what you asked, Pat x

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2004 21:19

Pat, When you say born in Chester are you referring to the registration district or the city? I can see Louisa in 1881 but she was born in Newton. Crista

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 21:31

That's right Crista Registration district Ashton under Lyme Sub District: Newton & Godley in the County of Chester as stated on her birth cert Pat x

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2004 21:51

Pat, It helps to have the exact town when searching. I don't have access to Ancestry. Can someone look for Louisas born in Newton in 1891 and 1901 to see if they can find them. Pat, in what town was Isabella born? You said Chester but what sub district? 1881: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability George HARDMAN Head M Male 68 Bradford, York, England Chelsea Out Pensioner Ann HARDMAN Wife M Female 59 Astley, Lancashire, England Louisa HARDMAN Daur U Female 19 Newton, Cheshire, England Cotton Weaver Mary HARDMAN Daur U Female 17 Newton, Cheshire, England Cotton Weaver Dwelling 38 Spring Gardens Census Place Newton, Cheshire, England

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 22:06

Crista I have Ancestry and still cannot find what happened to louisa after she married Frederick, no sign of any of them living as a family in 1891. There is an Isabel Wilding on 1901 but she is in Tooting Graveney, London living with Lucy Von Lenner as a servant, a couple of years in age difference, and I think someone was messing where these two ladies were born as neither place exists. I also have Louisa from the 1881 census living in Newton a year before she married. Thanks for that Crista Pat x

Crista

Crista Report 31 Oct 2004 10:00

Pat, Could this be Louisa in 1901? Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Frederick Wilding 14 Patricroft, Lancashire, England Son Hyde Cheshire John Wilding 8 Hyde, Cheshire, England Son Hyde Cheshire Louisa Wilding 39 Hyde, Cheshire, England Head Hyde Cheshire William G Wilding 16 Southsea, Hampshire, England Son Hyde Cheshire In 1891 they are at 14 Wade St, Church in Lancashire and the husband is Fred 27 from Ripon Yorks. He is a general labourer. No Isabella though and the son's birth places are reversed. Frederick was born in Portsmouth and William in Patricroft. Crista

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2004 10:17

Hi Crista, Busy again I see. LOL I couldn't believe seeing this Whilding/Wilding post again. Ancestry has just updated the 1871 and I found Louisa's family in 1871, which was nice. Where did you get that 1901 info? incredible. I notice Frederick (her husband isnt there?). Many thanks for your great afforts Crista I would just love to know how you do it? I would say this Louisa is too close not to be the right one, age wise and she married in Hyde, and a son called Frederick too much a coincidence to be anyone else. That is what I was trying to find out was she still alive in 1901. Wonder where the family was in 1891? Many Many thanks Crista, Much appreciated. Pat x