Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know anything about Lilly Langtree

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairysgodmother

Fairysgodmother Report 4 Nov 2004 17:20

I am very vaguely aware of Lilliy Langtree (I am 38 so she was not of my era) does anyone know anything of her, was Lilly Langtree her professional name or her real name? I have been told she is a distant relative but in my tree I cannot find her only someone was a similar name. elaine:))

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Nov 2004 17:23

My 3x gt Aunt Henrietta Hodson discovered her and trained her ;o) contact me and i can give you some pointers

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 17:24

I'm not criticising your spelling, but her name is spelt Lily (with one L) Langtry. I've only pointed this out because you will get far more hits on a search engine with the correct spelling. This was her real name, not stage name. In fact, if you put the name in google, there are lots of good sites. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it. Mandy :)

Judith

Judith Report 4 Nov 2004 17:33

"13th October 1853 To the very Reverend William Corbet Le Breton and his wife Emilie a daughter Emilie Charlotte at the rectory St Saviours Jersey." Her nickname was Lillie and she married Edward Langtry. She was also referred to as 'The Jersey Lily'. Look at this wibsite: www.lillielangtry.*com (remove the *)

Carole

Carole Report 4 Nov 2004 17:50

My wedding reception was held at Kingston Hill Place, which was the house Edward VII bought her. Unfortunately, all the grounds have now been built on, but it was beautiful back in '83. Carole

Judith

Judith Report 4 Nov 2004 17:54

Hey, I'd forgotten about Kingston Hill Place. When I trained to teach, back in 1968 at Gipsy Hill College, Kingston Hill Place was the male students' hall of residence. Sure Lillie would have loved that! Judith

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Nov 2004 17:57

when I was at school in Chessington the top year (aged about 7ish) used to be taken every year to see a play at Gipsy Hill by the students. I was terrified all teh way through primary about the thought of "the trip to Gipsy Hill" as I imagined it to be full of caravans and people drinking - so much so that I refused to go on the trip.

Carole

Carole Report 4 Nov 2004 17:58

That's the one. My dad worked at Gypsy Hill College at the time. It is now part of Kingston University & they've sold off a lot of the land.

Fairysgodmother

Fairysgodmother Report 4 Nov 2004 18:10

Thank you so much for everyone who has replied, regarding correct name spellings and websites you are all very kind and have given me lots to go in. Zoe thank you for your kind offer of giving me some pointers, I will contact you as soon as I have all my information together. elaine:))

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Nov 2004 19:13

Hi Don't know much about Lily Langtry other than in Bournemouth we have the "Langtry Manor Hotel" which used to be her home. www.*langtrymanor.*co.*uk Sam x

Avril

Avril Report 11 Jan 2005 22:25

yes my grandfather made shoes for her

Nanny Pat

Nanny Pat Report 11 Jan 2005 22:59

There is someone else on this website that is connected to Lily Langtree. I was helping him to follow up a lead at one stage but I have not heard how he got on. Perhaps he will see this thread to let us know his results.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jan 2005 23:10

And it is spelt "Langtry". I am sure you will find info if you google. nell

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jan 2005 23:50

There is a large house on the banks of the Thames in Maidenhead called Langtry House where someone very famous lives now. I always understood that Lily Langtry lived there at some stage. Contact me direct for more details.

Gary

Gary Report 11 Jan 2005 23:55

I am that person Pat refers to. Quite a while back, I asked for assistance in tracing an owner of a property around 1880, rather than the occupier - the property having since been demolished. I have been trying to discover whether Edward, Prince of Wales, arranged the purchase of 2 Cadogan Place for Lillie Langtry, which would then almost certainly have meant my great-great-grandfather had worked for the Langtry's (there being other evidence potentially linking him and his future wife with the Langtry's). Despite Pat's efforts and those of others for which I am very grateful, information from the Land Registry, various letters to Companys and e-mails to authors, I have made no progress. I have read several biographies and her autobiography, two of which I still have, so could look something up if required. I hope to re-submit a question to Anthony on Tuesday - it didn't get answered when I last tried.

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Jan 2005 11:26

Gary if you have Lillie's autobiography I would be very grateful for details of anything she mentions regarding Henrietta Hodson (married name Henrietta Labouchere) and Henry Du Pre Labouchere. I'm in the middle of a very knotty problem of proving whether all acting type people I've found on the web who claim to be related to Henrietta genuinely are. So far I have Charles/Kate Fenton, JS and Sylvia Blythe, Charles and Nellie Macdona, Margaret MacDona to start off the list. If the book has a name reference index I'd be very grateful for any help. Would love it if you could contact me Cheers Zoe

Gary

Gary Report 12 Jan 2005 20:12

Zoe I still have the autobiography and, although it has no index, I have found what you're after. There is too much for me to type (one finger at a time) so I will contact you direct from now to see exactly what you want to know. For others interested in the autobiography, as a history of the life of Lillie, it has to be taken with a big pinch of salt. She rarely mentions her husband, refers to the Prince of Wales with the utmost "properness" - no hint that they were lovers - and I don't think she even mentions having a child. It's a professional story rather than a personal one.

Catherine

Catherine Report 11 Nov 2009 21:10

I see this is a really old thread but I too am looking for a connectionof Lily Langtry and would be glad of help. I'm tracing a woman I believe was her neice, born Lily Belle le Breton Thompson, born in Fulham London, in 1905. She married my grandmother's cousin Gavin Burns Henderson in 1934 and I believe lived and died in Scarborough.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 11 Nov 2009 22:41

It would be better to start your own thread though.

1911 census - household transcription
Person: THOMPSON, Lily Belle
Address: 8 West Ken Mansion Fulham
THOMPSON, George William Head Married M 56 1855 Mechanical Engineer In Charge Of Farm in Teen Yorkshire
THOMPSON, Ethel Wife Married
16 years F 38 1873 St Neliers Jersey Resident
THOMPSON, Francis George Son Single M 15 1896 School London Baywater
THOMPSON, Ethel Rita Daughter F 10 1901 School London Baywater
THOMPSON, Lily Belle Daughter F 6 1905 London Ken Kensington

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 11 Nov 2009 22:43

1901 census - household transcription
Person: THOMPSON, Ethel
Address: 24, Colville Square, Kensington
THOMPSON, George W Head Married M 47 1854 Engineer Mechanical
Stockton of Tees
Durham
THOMPSON, Ethel Wife Married F 28 1873
St Helier
Jersey
THOMPSON, Francis G L B Son M 5 1896
Paddington
London
THOMPSON, Ethel R L B Daughter F 0 (10 MOS) 1901
Kensington
London
DUKE, Louie Servant Single F 20 1881 General Servant (Domestic)
Putney
London