Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I please borrow somebody's eyes??????

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 5 Mar 2005 14:47

I have tried to find this family on the 1901 census for ages but I just cannot find them. I hope someone may have better luck than me. George Povey b.1861, Deptford. Maria Povey b.1857, Greenwich. Walter George Povey b.1885, Greenwich. Elizabeth Povey b.1887, Greenwich. Nelly Povey b.1889, Greenwich. I would be very grateful for any help, Sam.

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Mar 2005 15:03

I cant get ancestry to work at the minute. I'm even asking it to give me all 15 year olds born in Kent and its telling me there arent any I'll keep trying Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 15:07

They're either hideously mistranscribed or the Martians got them! I've searched under first names, ages, birthplace, just under the surname in case they'd been listed with initials and can't see a single one of them! Lou

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Mar 2005 15:09

figured out what I'm doing wrong - ancestry now asks for birth year on 1901 rather than age!!! bare with me - I'm getting old

The Bag

The Bag Report 5 Mar 2005 15:11

that makes three of us-although i missed of Nelly cos you can bet she's prob not a Nelly jess

Helen

Helen Report 5 Mar 2005 15:13

I'm trying too!

The Bag

The Bag Report 5 Mar 2005 15:14

is this them in 1891 Povey, Elizabeth 4 Deptford, Kent Daughter St Paul Deptford London Povey, Jesse 30 Walworth, Surrey Head St Paul Deptford London Povey, Maria 33 Middlesex Wife St Paul Deptford London Povey, Nelly 4/12 Deptford, Kent Daughter St Paul Deptford London Povey, Walter George 5 Deptford, Kent Son St Paul Deptford London jess

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Mar 2005 15:16

I'm getting the same - cant find a one of them Zoe

Karen

Karen Report 5 Mar 2005 15:17

Zoe and Lou, Thankyou for your replies, I think this might be one of them families who were beamed up to the mother-ship the night of the census. I have spent nearly all day hunched over the computer trying to find them and the only thing I've come up with is eye-strain and a headache! It's bedtime now anyway, Sam. * Jess, yes that's them in 1891.

Jan

Jan Report 5 Mar 2005 15:22

There’s this family but the ages are out and if it’s right then George and Jesse are the wrong way round! Jesse 40 George 16 Lizzie 14 Nellie 10 Maria 42 Jan

The Bag

The Bag Report 5 Mar 2005 15:22

BUT WERE ALL LOOKING FOR A HEAD CALLED GEORGE!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 15:23

George is down as Jesse in 1891 as well????? Sam says his name is George in her message??? Off to Tesco I think...might get some inspiration in the cheese aisle!

The Bag

The Bag Report 5 Mar 2005 15:27

Looks like George from Deptford is Jesse from Walworth! Hope you find something in tesco, Lou.Asda was a let down! .......and yes, i posted it jess

Jan

Jan Report 5 Mar 2005 15:32

OK so maybe Jesse age 40 might be who we're looking for, in which case Walter has become George.... Forgot to say they were found in St Nicholas, London. Jesse is down as 'carman at Board of Yorks'! And George has no occupation.

Helen

Helen Report 5 Mar 2005 15:32

In case anyone's wondering, this is the Ancestry transcription Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image George Povey 16 Deptford Son St Nicholas London Jane Povey 40 London, England Head St Nicholas London Kellie Povey 10 Deptford Daughter St Nicholas London Lizzie Povey 14 Deptford Daughter St Nicholas London Marice Povey 45 London, England Wife St Nicholas London Address looks like 10 Berthen Street, St Nicholas, Deptford

Karen

Karen Report 5 Mar 2005 15:46

I've just popped in again before going to bed. I really appreciate all your help. I got the 1891 details for George and co from a lady on here who did an 1891 look-up for me. It looks like I have been given the wrong information? She said that George was the head. Please don't tell me I've been researching the wrong family?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 15:56

Looks like it, hon, sorry, cos George isn't the head of that family in 1891..Jesse is! Haven't seen the actual image (the image MIGHT say George), not sure whether Jess or Jan looked at it Lou Jess Tesco was heaving..lots of teenage boys buying flowers for Mum!

Jan

Jan Report 5 Mar 2005 15:57

no sorry, I was using the decoder! Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 15:58

Ok...I'll take a look at the image now and see what it looks like!

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Mar 2005 16:04

I can't find the family Jan found in 1901. Ok, got it! Same one Helen found. Jane HEAD is actually Jesse and Marice WIFE is Maria. Same family as in 1891 but no George!