Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OLD IRISH NEWSPAPERS 1849 + 1700's 1800's 1900's-

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 4 Apr 2005 14:04

see below:

Dea

Dea Report 4 Apr 2005 14:05

Hi, It's of no use to me as I have no Irish relatives but while I was looking up something for someone else , I stumbled across a website called www(.)irelandoldnews(.)com/Mayo/1849/NOV.html. The pages I looked at were wonderful complete copies of the 'Ballina Chronicle' dating back to 1849. This included births, deaths, marriages - court proceedings, murders and LOTS more. I didn't explore what else was in there or if it covered any other newspapers but if you have an Irish connection you MUST go and have a look. It's fascinating - I will go back to read it just as a piece of 'social history' when I get the time. Dea. x

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 4 Apr 2005 14:09

wow, thanks Dea. I need all the Irish help I can get !

Dea

Dea Report 4 Apr 2005 14:15

Hi, - me again - couldn't resist having another 'quick look' - if you go to the home page - address as I gave but after the (.)com just add /index.html - The site covers the whole of Ireland, LOTS of different newspapers for all counties, and goes back at least to 1750'sh !!!!! Wish I had someone in Ireland. Hope it helps someone. Dea. x

Kym

Kym Report 4 Apr 2005 16:52

Hi Dea Just want to say thanks for that site. My father is Irish and I am trying to find some info for him, so will definately give this a whirl. Thanks Kim

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Apr 2005 21:38

Dea Thanks for this site addy, Really interesting reading and not just bmd's but murders and trials. Thanks Sue

Louise

Louise Report 4 Apr 2005 21:55

thanks dea vey interesting site

Ann

Ann Report 5 Apr 2005 23:15

That's great Dea..thanks a lot for the tip......My Bfamily originated there(Ireland).........Dunno which part! but may find something....I live in hope :) Ann x

Always

Always Report 6 Apr 2005 00:02

Thanks for the info Dea, I popped on this site last night and was there for hours, didn't actually get around to looking up things, too busy just reading some of the crimes etc. it was a different world back then. It's a brilliant site. Thanks again Anna xx

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 6 Apr 2005 00:19

Hi Dea, Thanks for the link. Great to find another Irish resource. Kathy

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 08:57

cheers Dea - a very very useful site. :-)))

Joy

Joy Report 6 Apr 2005 13:15

Thanks for adding this. Silly me - I got all excited, had a look, tried to save it in favourites and found I already had it!!! doh! :-) Joy

Dea

Dea Report 6 Apr 2005 13:18

Never mind Joy - It IS a brilliant site though!! - I am desperate to find an Irish connection so I can make use of it! All that 'social history' ! - I just keep going back in for another little read ! I will try to find you another site that you haven't already got. Dea. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 20:24

Thanks Dea!! I have just spent the last 2hrs browsing the old papers, completely forgetting to come back and say thanks!! Any Irish information is most welcome in this house!! Cheers Dea! Karen

Joy

Joy Report 6 Apr 2005 20:49

Dea - thanks. :-) For me the social history is what makes family history research interesting, it brings it to life, using my imagination to 'see' them! :-) Joy

Jane

Jane Report 8 Apr 2005 23:04

HI THANKS FOR THIS WEB SITE MY FATHER IN-LAW WAS IN KILDARE IRELAND SO WE WILL HAVE A LOOK.

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Apr 2005 23:57

Please keep anymore tips like this to yourself I lost a whole evening completly lost in a world of stories had a great time sandie thanks

Dea

Dea Report 9 Apr 2005 08:48

Sandie, I thought you were telling me off at first - Glad you enjoyed the read. - Fascinating isn't it? - I keep going back myself. How I wish I had an Irish relative! Dea. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Apr 2005 09:15

Oh Dea!!!! what a star you are - I didnt find the info I was after on the site BUT - and this is wonderful - it gave me a lead and I think I now have the area my gt gt's came from - and I have been in touch with the present day paper of the area to check their archives. MWAH a million times for that site She

Dea

Dea Report 9 Apr 2005 09:24

Sheila, I am so pleased I may have been of help to you. Being still fairly new to this, lots of people have helped me and, whenever I try to help someone else, by the time I have found anything out, others have already solved things. It's a nice feeling to think I may have been of use this time. Please let me know if you get any further on. Dea x