Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Music of the times - what did your ancestors sing

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 17 Apr 2005 05:30

I've just stumbled across an extensive site which has all sorts of folk songs - music & lyrics, and associated historical links etc. The link below will take you to one about 'Gallant Poachers' who were transported, but you can use the main part of the URL to get to the index. Let me know what you think! http://www(.)contemplator(.)com/england/vland.html Sue (in NZ)

Jenny

Jenny Report 17 Apr 2005 06:15

Thanks Susan - very interesting site. Surprising how many I knew - comes from learning the piano in my childhood using a very old song book.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 17 Apr 2005 06:33

what a great site! I wish I knew the names of the songs that my grandma used to sing. Maybe I should try to write down all the words I can remember. Anyone know this one..... I once met two lovers in a garden, a little girl & boy with golden hair, at first I thought of asking them their pardon, on second thought I'd watch the youthful pair. ?????????????

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 17 Apr 2005 06:38

Or what about this one....... A group of young soldiers one night in a camp, where talking of sweathearts they had, they all looked so happy, except for one lad, and he looked downhearted & sad.

♥ Cherie ♥

♥ Cherie ♥ Report 17 Apr 2005 09:00

Hi Sue, Thanks - interesting site! I have posted a separate entry to see whether anyone has a relative called John Simms or Sinn as he was mentioned in a song about a true event called 'The Poor Murdered Woman'. I would love to find a song about one of my relatives but no luck yet! Regards Cherie

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Apr 2005 11:01

Karen the song goes like this Verse. One day I saw two lovers in a garden A little boy, and girl with golden hair At first I thought of asking them their pardon On second thoughts I watched the youthful pair The boy all loving gave the maid a kiss and tenderly he whispered this. Chorus. I'll be your sweetheart if you will be mine All my life I'll be your valentine bluebells I've gathered keep them and be true When I'm a man my plan will be to marry you. This is a sign of my age before television. Friday nights were family nights and it was a sing song round the piano/pianola and stories. Pat

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 19 Apr 2005 09:39

That's the song Patricia!! I've never met anyone else who knew it. Where did the song come from? Mt Grandma was from Yorkshire (Leeds) with Irish parents. I wonder if there is a recording of it somewhere.

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Apr 2005 10:43

Reg Pubes, Reg Pubes Lend me your great Nog, Rollock me fussett and grindle me nodes. For I want to go-o to Gangerpoke Bog, with- Len Possett, Tim Screevy, the reverend Phipps, Peg-leg Loombucket, Solly Levy, Ginger Epstein, Able Seaman Truefitt, Scotch Lil, Messrs. Cattermole, Mousehabit, Neapthigh and Trusspot, solicitors and Commissioners for Oaths, Father Thunderghast, Fat Alice, Con Mahony, Yeti Rosencrantz, Foo Tong Robinson and Uncle Ted Willis an' all- and Uncle Ted Willis and all. (Trad: arr Rumpo)

Jack

Jack Report 19 Apr 2005 12:06

'I'll be your sweetheart' is a song I've known from being very small (born late 50s) and always assumed it was an old music hall song. My mother was part of a concert party at church who used to do shows to entertain the locals (wasn't life much simpler then?) and they used to sing all those old favourites, so I was brought up with them. I typed it into a search engine and apparently it appeared in a 1944/1945 film called 'I'll be your sweethaert' with Margaret Lockwood and Vic Oliver. You can get it on video and also on various CDs recorded by other artists. Jack (can't get the damned song out of my head now and will go round singing it all day, much to the annoyance of everyone else!)

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 19 Apr 2005 12:14

Thanks for that....... I'll check if the local video shop has a copy

Jack

Jack Report 19 Apr 2005 12:30

Just had another search and it was written in 1899 by Harry Dacre. It was associated with Lil Hawthorne who was a music Hall singer and has one more verse : The bluebells were accepted by the maiden, Who said, 'I'll keep them safely all my life. But, suppose that you should meet some other lady, Then I should never be your loving wife.' The boy, all blushing, took another kiss, And tenderly he murmured this: Jack (who in the process of searching has now seen another load of old songs and is now singing them all ad nauseam....)

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2005 14:59

Does anybody know a song called@The Miner's Dream of Home'? I saw the old homestead and places I loved, I saw England's valley and hills, I listened with joy,as I did when a boy, To the sound of the old village bells. The log was burning brightly' Twas a night that would banish all sin. And the bells were ringing the old year out and the new year in. That's all I know of it,it was on a very old 78 that broke. Once,at a New Year party,a knowall pianist I didn't like anyway,played the tune and was amazed that two people could sing along to it.One was me and the other was over ninety.I would love to know all the words for the next time.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 19 Apr 2005 15:34

ohh Jack, I didn't know there was another verse! These songs just stick in your head don't they ! LOL

moe

moe Report 19 Apr 2005 18:47

On the subject of old songs, when i was small we sang the one about the great big ship sailed through the (allio)? on the last day of September,I remember my mother told me that my grand father worked on this ship on the clyde,as a boilermaker, and was supposed to sail on it the time it sunk, was she pulling my leg? She's passed now so i cannot find out. does anyone remember the name of the ship and its history, Thanks Moe!

Sue

Sue Report 19 Apr 2005 19:11

Didn't realise what a trip down Memory Lane I'd started here, LOL!! Glad you're all enjoying yourselves. Sue (in NZ) :-)

Jack

Jack Report 19 Apr 2005 19:45

Sharron, I didn't know that was 'The Miner's Dream of Home', although I knew it well, especially the chorus. My mother used to sing it on New Year's Eve as she was doing a clean up - everything had to be spick & span to see in the New Year! A lot of my old songs I learned that way as she sang anything and everything once she had a duster, brush, cloth or hoover in her hand. Sometimes it was hymns, sometimes popular songs, invariably made up when she didn't know the words and often only the choruses, repeated over and over. The worrying thing is I've started to do the same, except my passion for housework is to say the least minimal compared to hers! Jack

Brenda

Brenda Report 19 Apr 2005 22:33

We have The Miners Dream of Home on an old wax cylinder but could never understand the words cos of the crackles,we can now have a karioki!!!!!!!!

Jack

Jack Report 19 Apr 2005 22:39

Turn it up a bit, Brenda, and we'll all sing along. Everyone ready? Here we go..... Jack (already planning what we can do as an encore!)

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2005 22:56

Well another one we had was Florrie Ford.One side was Is Anybody Looking For A Widow and the other was Mary Took Her Calves to the Dairy Show.That wasn't broken but it was given to a man who could give it a better home than I could. Another I remember was Jack Warner (evening all)and it was called Bunger Up of Rat'oles.My family had sophisticated tastes!

Brenda

Brenda Report 19 Apr 2005 23:00

Have just visited the webb site and its great,lots of folk songs I had long forgotten, give it a try everyone,it even has the words to sing along.Brenda