Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Conspiracy Theory!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 21:47

See below....

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 21:48

OK, so Thomas Cooke, Coachman with son Thomas born 1823 in Loughborough have no records whatsoever and my (and a little bit by Jess and others like Mike in Leicester) research, has uncovered a wider conspiracy. It seems obvious to me that the founder of the travel company was my ancestor and I am the direct descendant. Therefore a massive cover up has occurred, in the respect that all records of this man and son have been completely erased by successive business generations. So to redress the balance and in recompense for the loss of my heritage, if any of you or any one you know is to partake in one of the (my) aforesaid company’s trips, please send ten percent of the fee to...Bob at......................

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 Jun 2005 21:59

S'cuse me, what is my cut?. One of the B****y Cooks I found for you MUST be the travel one! I'll take 10 days in the Maldives-Meeru Fen Fushi- gratis and we'll call it quits. OK? X

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 22:04

That'll do for for me, a blonde on each arm and an Island!! Bob

Victor

Victor Report 3 Jun 2005 22:08

Bob Come on what are you looking for. Victor

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 Jun 2005 22:11

some form of association with Thomas Cook the travel agent instead of his 'ordinary' Thomas Cook Me thinks! jess

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 22:18

Victor, I'll post my serious quest if you fancy a pop at it, but as I have said, some good people have had a look at the conundrum. I'll likely be hiring a researcher from my 'Holiday Company' share dividend. Bob

Victor

Victor Report 3 Jun 2005 22:22

Bob Go for it. Victor

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 22:36

Victor, you are a brave fellow, here goes:- Marriage Thomas COOKE Wife: Eleanor STOPPARD Marriage Date: 3 Feb 1846 Recorded in: Ashover, Derbyshire, England Husband's Father: Thomas COOKE Wife's Father: Aaron STOPPARD I now have many of the family certificates going forward. Lots of info for Derbyshire seems accessible on the web, but Leicester is a closed book. I have the confirmed baptism & Death cert for 74 yo Eleanor The 1846 marriage cert gives the groom Thomas as a butcher, his father as a Coachman. Given that in all forward census data groom Thomas gives his d.o.b & place as 1823 Loughborough one would think that a “Thomas who begat Thomas” Thomas at least in the IGI within expected generation dates therefore giving me a confirmed Loughborough Birth date & place, possibly a mother and siblings. There is lots more, all pasteable if needed. Bob

Victor

Victor Report 3 Jun 2005 22:50

Bob In short you are looking for a connection between two Thomas's. Yes Very flowery writing but not very clear. Victor

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 22:57

Victor, not flowery, there is a definite connection. Thomas begat Thomas as said. I have all of the family going forward and most certs. Bob.,

Victor

Victor Report 3 Jun 2005 23:02

Bob Did Thomas Jnr have a brother Joseph??? Victor

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 23:16

Victor, No Joseph I'm afraid. Census 1871 (Jess's find) Aaron Cooke 24 Matlock, - omnibus driver Arthur Cooke 12 Leicestershire, - scholar Davd Cooke 21 Matlock, - stnemason Elenor Cooke 51 Lea Wife St Margaret Leicestershire Robert Cooke 9 - Thomas Cooke 48 Loughborough, - omnibus proprieter Thomas Cooke 24 Matlock, - omnibus driver Bob

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 Jun 2005 23:18

Don't involve me... sorry, jess in heavy disguise tonight!

The Bag

The Bag Report 3 Jun 2005 23:20

1861- you must have this Aaron Cooke abt 1846 Matlock, Derbyshire, England Son Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire Arthur Cooke abt 1858 Leicester, Leicestershire, England Son Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire Betsy Cooke abt 1854 Caldcote, Rutland, England Daughter Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire David Cooke abt 1849 Matlock, Derbyshire, England Son Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire Eleanor Cooke abt 1820 Lea, Derbyshire, England Wife Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire Thomas Cooke abt 1824 Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Head Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire Thomas Cooke abt 1846 Matlock, Derbyshire, England Son Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 23:31

Been on the beer meself!! did have that though xx get on down bounce etc!

Paula

Paula Report 3 Jun 2005 23:37

Went on a tour from Welford rd cemetary on monday and saw his grave, bought a booklet about the cemetary. This is what it says about him: The most well know person buried in Welford cemetary is Thomas Cook, the pioneer of travel. Born in Melbourne, Derbyshire in 1808 Cook left school at 14 and went to work on the Melbourne Estate gardens. After moving to market harborough he worked as a wood turner until 1828 when he became a baptist missonery in Rutland. A member of the South Midland temperance league he founded the Childrens temperance magazine in 1840. His first tour was in June 1841 when he persuaded the Midland County railway to put on a special train at half fate to take a party of people from Leicester to a Temperance meeting in Loughborough. This historic event was the first advertised excursion train in england if not the world. Four years later he arranged a tour from Leicester to Liverpool and over the next few years the excursion programme expanded so much that he had to move his head office to london. Back home in Leicester he built the temperance hall and hotel in granby st. The hall is now demolished although the hotel still stands used by a camping shop and insurance office. The hall was the centre of the musical life in the town it being the biggest in the area. Many famous musical names of the 19th century appeared there usually at the invitation of Henry Nicholson or joseph Marshall. Thomas cook died a blind man in 1892 at his home on London road now used by the red cross, the business devolving to his son Jhn (42). In 1894 a new office for the firm was built in gallowtree gate. It is still there opposite the clock tower although the company has moved to larger premises in Belgrave Gate Paula

English Bob

English Bob Report 3 Jun 2005 23:46

Thats Jess's holiday wiped out. Shamefully I must admit that I did know that I was not the absolute heir to the Thomas Cook fortune. Hence my new, but albeit late career as a rap artist. Bob also heavily disguised as a gangsta. Snoop!

The Bag

The Bag Report 4 Jun 2005 09:19

I have a book - ''How it all began'' - Up the High st. I guess one in a series. Thomas cook the travel pionereer is featured and tells of how the company started and has evolved, from the start in 1841 when he arranged the first rail excursion throught to 1928, when it ceased to be the 'family run business' and was sold on. As he isn't yours ( I wonder whose he is...- any takers?) I wont bore you with the detail, but it is interesting. One of those books you get in the WHS sale for about 25p, but a mine of info..if ever anyone needs it! Jess

English Bob

English Bob Report 4 Jun 2005 09:47

Good morning, I hope, Jess, that you have unpacked your snorkel! I may have to take you to the 'Lido' deep end for dip. Initially I thought that there may have been a chance of a link. Especially as the Cookes developed their 'transport' business in that area. As I put flesh to the bones that everybody gave me it was soon dispelled. For example Aaron, the only one of the 1846 twins (& Thomas) I can track, died age 60 of heart failure and chronic bronchitis,in a poor law hospice, with occupation still as Cab Proprietor. Every one waded in rightly with 'you are having a laugh with the name' when I established that the 1823 Thomas's sister in law Betsy Stoppard married Robert 'Wildgoose', check (google) him out he was famous Matlock entreponeur, into Buses etc. This still does'nt cure my obsession or give me any way to find 'Thomas begat Thomas in Loughborough'. Could be on the beer early today! Bob... Snoop