Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New and improved on Genes Reunited

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 14 Jun 2005 10:04

Dear members, When you search for a name on the site you will notice a new layout for results. Based on feedback we received this should make searching and contacting someone easier, especially for newer members. Also we have been working behind the scenes to improve our family tree. We now have a version of our new tree builder in Beta test on the left hand nav. As we are still in beta testing, please bear with us as we iron out any hitches and put the finishing touches in. We are really pleased with it, but we’d be grateful if you could take a look and let us know any feedback through the ‘Report a problem’ section in the new builder. Hope you like it! The Genes Team

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 14 Jun 2005 10:16

i love the new tree layout. its so much easier to read and the new search page is brilliant thankyou love susie

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2005 10:22

I agree with Susie, it is much better. Gloria

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jun 2005 10:28

Great layout and very easy to use. But WHOOPS on new names search it doesn't tell you if you have already contacted the member. Apart from that, excellent Jane Apologies and thanks to Ann for pointing out that there is a column which say ''Prior Contact''. Too hasty again.

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 14 Jun 2005 10:45

Like the new layout, much easier.Thanks Heather

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 14 Jun 2005 10:49

a lot better lay out thanks Jeanette

The Bag

The Bag Report 14 Jun 2005 11:11

Like the name search part, much better with the contributers name being obvious- can see an overview of who has contributed what without having to open boxes- much better Jess

Sheleen

Sheleen Report 14 Jun 2005 11:41

From a person who usually hates change - especially when I have gotten used to doing something a certain way...have to say that this is very much an improvement. Much much better.

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Jun 2005 13:21

Sorry - am I being dense? My tree layout seems to be the same as it ever was - am I missing something, or do I need to 'refresh' it or something to get to the new layout? Also, new name search - yes is great if you go into 'name search' and put in the details, but it is still the old layout if you go into it from 'Your names' and you can't see if you've contacted them before? Oh well, I suppose any improvements better than none? confused, Trudy

Ann

Ann Report 14 Jun 2005 13:24

Oh Trudy I am so glad you said that, I thought it was me being daft! I also thought my tree looked the same! THEN I realised there's a new Tree builder(under Import/Export Tree).....left hand side of page . It looks quite good. Ann

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Jun 2005 13:27

Thank god for that Ann, now I know I'm not stupid!!! Guess we'll just have to hope that Genes are monitoring this thread and give us an answer at some point!?! Trudy

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Jun 2005 13:30

Now I really do feel daft - have found it - sorry!!!!!!!!!!

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 14 Jun 2005 14:06

I am impressed! The new tree is so much easier to work with and I like having the person's details below, makes it much more convenient to edit them. Have just taken another look at the details box and notice that there still isn't any space to put a burial :-( Carole

Carol

Carol Report 14 Jun 2005 14:20

On the new search names facility, you can see if you have contacted people before. There is a column titled prior contact and if you have had prior contact there will be a tick here.

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 14 Jun 2005 14:49

I really like all changes to the name searches - haven't yet tried the family tree. :-) Liz

Maurice

Maurice Report 14 Jun 2005 15:32

Well done , it is miles better,keep up the good work. Maurice

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 14 Jun 2005 16:04

Nice one, love the tree thing, shame you didn't remove the automatic tick to view my tree! Helen

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Jun 2005 17:04

I think the new tree layout is great. A big improvement. I am still disappointed with the name search though. What I would like to see is a smart search. So that you just click on search and it searches for matches on genes reunited to your whole tree. I have lots of names in my tree and it is far too time consuming to have to trawl through them and search individually. Hope this will be considered in the future, as it would make the whole Genes Reunited experience even more better.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 14 Jun 2005 17:27

I have seen the Gen Circles website ages ago. The trouble is not many people from the UK have added their trees and with the success of Genes reunited I am sure then could add some kind of smart search option. Ancestry has a similar sort of thing. I just don't think the search option on here is very good. But apart from that Genes Reunited is excellent.

Sheila

Sheila Report 14 Jun 2005 17:44

The tree is certainly an improvement. But has anyone else had a problem with adding a child to someone who has not got a partner entered? We have lots of bastards in the family that I would like to record, but it doesn't seem possible unless I am being stupid - again! Sheila