Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ever Seen this before?????

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2005 22:34

See below

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2005 22:35

From the 1851 census living Westminster Joseph Bibb HEAD 62 Attorney at Law b. Surrey, Battersea Sarah A Bibb WIFE 29 birthplace unreadable Joseph J Bibb NATL SON 7 Scholar b. Middlesex St Annes Soho There's also something written between the younger Joseph's surname and the relationship that I can't make out either. Natural son as the relationship to the head of the house? Any idea why the younger Joseph would be described as this on a census? Never seen a relationship described like that before and it has me intrigued! Thanks Lou

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Aug 2005 22:40

Maybe the head of the household was just bragging, seeing the difference in age of him and his wife, lol Seriously though, I have no idea why. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2005 22:42

Hmm...the rather large age gap hadn't escaped my notice either!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 19 Aug 2005 22:49

Perhaps the boy was a bit of a brat, and Sarah filled in the Census form.... Olde Crone

Kate

Kate Report 19 Aug 2005 22:52

It suggests to me that he might have been 'illegitimate'? Perhaps born before the marriage to Sarah? Kate.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Aug 2005 22:56

That would make sense Kate. Didn't want people thinking he was just a stepson. Cat - do you know the wife's maiden name? Perhaps you could try to find the son's birth reference (if he was registered). Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2005 22:59

At the moment I don't know anything about them BUT that would actually make sense if this indecipherable word after the BIBB in younger Joseph's name was actually his surname. I'm not even sure whether these are actually 'mine' but I'm determined to investigate them!

Heather

Heather Report 19 Aug 2005 23:02

I thought it meant illegitimate. Heather

Kate

Kate Report 19 Aug 2005 23:03

Yes, because the children's surnames are usually given as 'do' rather than in full, aren't they? But if he actually had a different surname it would have to be written in. Is there any way you can scan the image in and send it to some of us to look at or post it up on a website? Kate.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2005 23:06

I have it scanned in already. If anyone would like to take a look and see what they think, let me know!

The Ego

The Ego Report 19 Aug 2005 23:49

Giz a butchers then ! At first glance at your info,I thought he was called that because of his age-my great grandgfather fathered his last child,at the age of 62,and his wife was 37.it is quite unusual and perhaps explains the extra effort made by the enumerator.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2005 00:00

Hi peeps Getting very stressed now cos Email's is playing up tonight and wont let me attach anything to my messages. Son the pooter whizz is out (typical!) so will send it over the weekend if you'd all be good enough to have a look and see what your thoughts are! Lou

David

David Report 20 Aug 2005 06:53

What's the reference and folio number?

June

June Report 20 Aug 2005 07:18

Do they appear on any Cenus after 1861? June xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2005 08:06

Natural son is a euphemism for illegitimate. I was quite surprised to find my widowed gt gt grandfather in Gloucestershire with his grown-up son and two daughters and a baby, described as 'love child' and born in Cirencester Union! nell

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 20 Aug 2005 09:16

The term relationship on census returns refers to the head of the household NOT the mother unless she is the head. Also the head was responsible for completing the form and handing it over to the enumerator - difficult if he couldn't write. I would say that the child was the father's but perhaps not the mother's, however he may have been born before a marriage of the stated parents or to a previous marriage. It is being made clear that the child is the father's son. good hunting Dave

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2005 09:23

David in Notting Hill They're at HO107 1485 pg 105, first ones on the page! I did wonder whether he was born to Joseph & Sarah Ann before their marriage and registered in her surname but it was being made clear that he is Joseph's child on the census form. I can't find the family in 61 but its psosible that Joseph Snr was deceased by then and Sarah could possibly have remarried given that she wouldn't have been 40 by that point! It was suggested to be last night that the younger Joseph could be a grandson but I'd put money on it saying Natural Son as the relationship. There's definitely a world between Bibb and Natural Son which is possibly his surname. Best I can decipher it as is Sifilear. I can't find a marriage for Joseph and Sarah or a birth for Joseph under the surname Bibb at the moment Lou

Kate

Kate Report 20 Aug 2005 10:00

Lou - not got anywhere with Joseph Jr's 'surname' or whatever yet, but Sarah's birthplace is definitely Norfolk, Long Stratton. I'll keep looking at Joseph Jr. to see if I get any ideas! Kate.

The Ego

The Ego Report 20 Aug 2005 10:27

Ive enhanced the image in various ways using sharpen and soften after magnifying,then reducing........... It must be a surname relating to the boys natural mother who is probably foreign? One of the following: Sifreal Safrael (incidental dot) Sifaeal Sofaeal Safaeal definitely only 7 letters.......off to ancestry for a lookl