Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heres a toughie!! Brace yourself

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 09:52

see below................

Trudy

Trudy Report 17 Sep 2005 09:54

Come on Alter - after all the help people have given me the last two days, I really ought to try and give some back!!

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 09:59

James Dunn born Worcester/Gloucestershire/Kensington born probably 1810-1813 but abt 1821 in one census.! marries Mary E. (maiden name as yet unknown)born c 1823 between 1837 >1849 -------------------------------------------------------------------- She was born in the West Indes and I have contacted an archives section in Barbados-no reply yet. Have looked for marriages on various sites- not satisfied with any of them. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Info so far compiled from censi 1851,61,71,81 where to now-is there anything that I havent thought of ?

Kate

Kate Report 17 Sep 2005 10:01

If all else fails, when a full name index to the 1841 and 1851 censuses becomes available, you should be able to find them (or at least him) on those censuses and see what's what. Kate.

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 10:11

Got them on 1851-with their 2 little sprogs aged 2 an 11 months in Kensington. James Dunn 30 (way out-should be 38) Worcester Mary Dunn 28 West indes B/J (?) John 2 born kensington james 11 months brompton 1 Cromwell Place kensington. I dont know what it is but I'm sure theres a good story behind this couple.!!

Trudy

Trudy Report 17 Sep 2005 10:17

Sorry Alter - seems you've tried all the things I would - will have a think, but I'm stumped as well at the mo. sorry Trudy

Janet

Janet Report 17 Sep 2005 10:22

Have you thought that Mary may have something to do with the Abolition of Slavery Act 1833? What was James occupation? Maybe he worked for a family who employed slaves and he met her in that way working for the same family? Just a thought, but may have no bearing. Bristol not that far from Gloucester and Bristol was home to the Slave Trade. Janet

Kate

Kate Report 17 Sep 2005 10:27

Wait a minute - didn't we establish the other day that his full name was James Lewis Dunn? Have you searched through the GRO marriage indexes (including the overseas section) for a marriage in that name? There can't be too many of them, can there? Kate.

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 10:31

Now thats the sort of perspective-yes Wilberforce and all that. have thought makbe that he worked with sugar. his occupation in this country was gardener etc.but lived close to kensington gardens with the family most of his life,the big park is not far away. if he was born away from london,and she was born in Barbados.....how on earth did they end up in London.They both had menial occupations. My thoughts initially was that they worked for a wealthy family over there and he left with a few bob,or her even,and the house given to them ? They are in cromwell place in 1851 They are in Holland place 1861,1871,1881 even after he dies in 1875 Once she dies no-one has holland Place.

Kate

Kate Report 17 Sep 2005 10:31

This could be him, given his vagueness about where and when he was born, or else it is a doppelganger to beware of!: JAMES LEWIS DUNN Male --------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 14 JUL 1813 Christening: 25 JUL 1813 Saint Paul, Deptford, London, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: ROBT. DUNN Family Mother: MARGT. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: P006301 1801 - 1843 0254583-0254588 Film 0821206 Film Sheet: 00

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 10:34

i tried the lewis angle and got nowhere-The name appears in 1861 as his middle name once only-wasnt used 1851 or 1871-not used in his death name in 1875-though it might be on cert. I'm wondering if this name was adopted as a thanks or acknowledgement to someone,or if it was a mothers maiden name adopted after her death?

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 10:38

Kate -that date fits perfectly with his age in later censi-i would be a fool to ignore it. Question: why worcester in 1851 gloucestershire in 1861 kensington in 1871 Is it possible he was born in the country and christened in london ?????

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 11:01

Thanks all for your contributions-will muse over the christening and the slavery angle methinks !

Janet

Janet Report 17 Sep 2005 11:07

Just remembered also that of course Gloucester being a port would have been involved with Slave Trade as well. Also if worked for a big family in sugar like Tate and Lyle then that could be the way he got to London because didn't Tate and Lyle start in Bristol/Gloucester area? He could also have worked as a gardener for a big family like Tate and Lyle or similar and the same thing would apply. He would go with the family to the London home to tend the garden there. I had grooms in one of my Northants family working for a big family who went on a regular basis with the family to the London Family Seat and eventually married in London because he presumably met with someone in his place of work. They usually met 'partners' in their place of work. Even 'lowly members' of society working in moneyed families may well have needed his employer's permission to marry, so could be a Marriage Licence somewhere? There is an Index of Marriage Licences in London which may be worth checking. Janet

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 11:51

Thanks janet for your insight.......Ive got british origins-I'll take a look there.

Merry

Merry Report 17 Sep 2005 12:06

Birth cert of a child? For mum's name....... Best bet, James aged 11 months in 1851 census. Brompton is in Kensington District: Births Jun 1850 Dunn James Kensington 3 315 Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 12:22

yep that seems to be what is in order merry......! just trawled british origins........... James Dunn 28 Waiter born OOC Mary Dunn 23 (liar !) born OOC 1841 Gloucestershire.No kids-no relationship stated-could be a sister ! Was only one entry of 2 for his age -the other married a Sarah.

Merry

Merry Report 17 Sep 2005 12:27

You mentioned Lewis is not used as his middle name on his death entry, but it is!: Deaths Jun 1875 Dunn James Lewis _[5_] Kensington 1a 9[1_] The age is recorded as 65 and the page ref 1a 91 on 1837online. Suppose 65 is near enough!! Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 17 Sep 2005 12:34

Silly me- Ive viewed that one aswell ........durrh senior moment. never seen so many variations on his details-wonder if he was a bit number blind....everyone else seems so well behaved in the records.

Merry

Merry Report 17 Sep 2005 12:43

lol Alter! Makes it seem more likely that he should have his middle name on his marriage entry, but I can't find one Gggrrrrr! Maybe married abroad? I haven't looked on those.... Merry