Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newington London Where was this in 1875 please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 22:55

I am trying to find 2 births in Newington was this changed to another name as I cannot find them only someone that could be them in Hackney could this be right have googled Newington but no luck thanks

Fiona

Fiona Report 27 Sep 2005 22:58

In 1871 I think it is Stoke Newington, London.

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:01

thanks for that I just noticed on their marriage cert is says Newington Green Road as his address so I wonder if thats where the Newington came from, will have another go thanks

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 27 Sep 2005 23:01

if you look on this site it might help http://www(.)fhsc(.)org(.)uk/genuki/places/ Remove brackets Jeanette

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 27 Sep 2005 23:03

Newington Green Road is on the borders of Islington and Hackney. What Church is it? Jean x.

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:03

thanks again I did find a couple that looked right in Hackney will have another look at them

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:04

now I am in a quandary Jean as there are also some with the same birth years in Islington too, oh dear such a common name

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2005 23:05

There's also a Newington south of the Thames which would have been under Surrey in 1875. nell

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:07

oh Helen did you have to tell me that?? I think I will leave it for tonight , as it will cost a fortune if I get it wrong , will be nice and fresh tomorrow thanks for all info much appreciated

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2005 23:07

Valerie Perhaps if you gave name details we could help. Have you got them on the 1881 census - do you have father's names from census or marriage certs? nell

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:08

Jean its the Parish Church of St John The Baptist Hoxton Middlesex

Kate

Kate Report 27 Sep 2005 23:09

No, Newington is not the same as Stoke Newington. Stoke Newington is north of the river, up near Hackney, but Newington is south of the river, just south of Southwark! But yes, it did change; according to FreeBMD's district info: Newington Created 1st July 1837. Abolished 1st January 1870 (incorporated into St. Saviour Southwark district). In Surrey. Sub-districts : St. Mary; Trinity; Walworth. GRO volumes : IV (1837-51); 1d (1852-69). Newington St. Mary. Registers now in Southwark district. So you are looking for St. Saviour Southwark as the district. Sorry - spent so long waiting for FreeBMD that loads of messages have appeared while I was getting this one together! Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 27 Sep 2005 23:11

Newington Green Road would never have been in Newington in the first place, hence the confusion! Looks like Hackney or Islington on the A to Z. Kate.

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:13

Helen their names are Mary Ann Knight B C 1878 Newington and Rebecca Knight B C 1875 Newington I have them on the 1881 census but Mary Ann is missing from the 1891 census so I think she must have died

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:14

thanks for that Kate I know what you mean about waiting for sites to do their thing very frustrating sometimes

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 27 Sep 2005 23:18

Valerie, Sorry to confuse things further but Hoxton is in Shoreditch which comes under Hackney. Jean x.

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:20

Jean I am now banging my head on the Table, this is going to be a pain thanks for that I think ?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2005 23:20

On 1891 census Rebecca is born STOKE Newington: Knight, Thomas abt 1846 Westminch, London, England Head Shoreditch London Knight, Elizabeth abt 1836 Aldermanbury, London, England Wife Shoreditch London Knight, Elizabeth abt 1870 Shoreditch, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London Knight, John abt 1873 Islington, London, England Son Shoreditch London View Record Knight, Rebecca abt 1875 Stoke Newington, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London Knight, Celia abt 1881 Shoreditch, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London RG12/243 Folio: 61 Page: 24 Registration district: Shoreditch Sub registration district: Shoreditch, South nell

Val wish I'd never started Report 27 Sep 2005 23:26

thanks a lot for that Helen I didnt have that on my census now I shall have another look for the births

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2005 23:27

A possible: Knight, Rebecca Ann Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1874 District: Hackney County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 1b Page: 467 Hackney includes Stoke Newington. If she was born towards the end of 1874 she would appear as 6 on 1881 census, though she would be in her 7th year. nell