Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why can't I find him?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:08

Can anyone suggest why I cannot find someone on Ancestry 1901 census, when I can find him on 1901 direct. I want to view the image but he is not coming up on Ancestry!! Chrissie

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:14

Chrissie he's probobally been mistranscribed by Ancestry, put the details up and maybe we can help to find him! Lib:))

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 19 Oct 2005 14:14

A) He's not there. B) He's mis-transcribed.

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Oct 2005 14:14

Chrissie Is he just badly indexed? I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to locate my grandparents on the 1901 on Ancestry because, for example, Billyard, quite clear on the original image, was indexed as Bellgard or something equally helpful. Have you tried just searching for first name and place of birth? Good luck Sheila

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 19 Oct 2005 14:15

Chrissie He may well be mistranscribed in Ancestry's 'Index'. If you post his details I am sure the 'bloodhounds' on here will find him :))) Chris

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Oct 2005 14:15

Chrissie they work from different indexes which sometimes throw up transcriotion anomalies what results did you get in 1901 and we'll track himdown Z

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2005 14:16

have you tried lots of variations on name, as I have had some strange versions of a few eg Caudwell was under Cakewell

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:18

I'm giggling to myself here:)) You wont like it..........His name is:- Harry Smith LOL. He's 42 on 1901 - Born Nottingham - living Nottingham in the parish of Nottm - Barman I think I may have to bite the bullet and pay up LOL:)) Thanks for all your suggestions:)) Chrissie x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 19 Oct 2005 14:20

How about this one? Hary Smith abt 1859 Nottinghamshire, England Brother-in-law Nottingham Nottinghamshire

Colin

Colin Report 19 Oct 2005 14:21

Hello Chrissie..............I found my relative on Ancestry and solved a very old problem.....my relative was mistranscribed on the 1901 census site but OK on Ancestry

The Bag

The Bag Report 19 Oct 2005 14:23

Tracy - that one is a bar man he is sharing a house with, and presume b in Law to John Het Hoult abt 1865 Nottinghamshire, England Head Nottingham Nottinghamshire Mary A Hoult abt 1864 Nottinghamshire, England Wife Nottingham

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:24

Hi Tracy No, I've seen that one thanks. I saw the image about a year ago and foolishly didn't copy it but he was living at the pub. I can't remember whether he was classed as a lodger or an employee. Yesterday I viewed 2 pages of Harry Smiths with no luck so I think that I am going to have to pay to look at 1901. Thank you though:)) Chrissie x

Sheila

Sheila Report 19 Oct 2005 14:24

Chrissie I've just searched Harry b c1859 Nottingham and turned up an upholsterer in Union Road Nottingham. Could this be him? Sheila

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:25

Oh thanks Jess - I've just seen your reply. I will go and have another look:))

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:27

Thanks Sheila and all. The thing is though that I don't know if this is my Harry, only that mine was a barman in 1904 when the second child was born, so I was plucking at straws (as usual). The age doesn't quite tally anyway with what I've found so far but what's new about that :))

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Oct 2005 14:28

I take it I'm asking the bl33ding obvious when I say have you checked under Henry??

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:30

According to his death certificate and his second marriage certificate he should have been between 31 and 36, so the more I think about it, it's probably not him anyway. Oh, drat these SMITHS LOL:))

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:31

No Zoe I haven't but everywhere I found him he has been Harry.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 19 Oct 2005 14:31

What about this one then? Henry Smith 34 London Westminster London Islington Barman Henry Smith abt 1867 Westminster, London, England Servant Islington London There's no head? (You're not alone in your quest for Smiths. Thankfully some of mine had odd names though lol)

Christine2

Christine2 Report 19 Oct 2005 14:41

I'll certainly keep a note of those thank you Tracy. I think that he probably got married (or at least had a child) though shortly after 1901 in Nottingham. I can't match him up with his wife in 1901, so I don't think that they were married before that but the second child was born in Jan 1904.