Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please can someone help with spelling?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Nov 2005 18:19

Another one from me about spelling! LEATT - any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of...

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2005 18:20

Is this on a census? Heather

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Nov 2005 18:22

Does the double-T (lower-case) come out as double-L, or U? Have you tried searching without putting in the whole (or any) of the surname - using wildcard characters? Perhaps, if you feel like sharing some specifics, some other puzzle-addicts could have a go? Christine

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Nov 2005 18:23

LEATT - can't find them on 1861 (but they are on 1851) as follows MARY ANN b 1847 St Martins MX. GEORGE b 1821 ' FRANCES b 1824 ' FRANCES E b 1850 ' CHARLES HY b 1845 ' Why do all my rellies have such awkward surnames!! Have tried all the combo's I can think of - any suggestions? Thanks

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Nov 2005 18:24

Srry, was a bit slow with the rest of message! (should have pasted it into word first!) Anyway, think this is all I have. thanks

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Nov 2005 18:33

Thanks - I'll give the double 'l' a go and th 'u' option!

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Nov 2005 18:33

For starters the young Frances died before 1861. Frances Elizabeth Leatt died 1856 1a 213 Martin in the Fields.

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 19:33

I think this lot are worth investigating: 1861: Angelina Scott abt 1858 Middlesex, England Daughter Westminster St Martin in the Fields Middlesex Caroline Scott abt 1853 Middlesex, England Daughter Westminster St Martin in the Fields Middlesex Frances Scott abt 1823 Middlesex, England Head Westminster St Martin in the Fields Middlesex George Scott abt 1861 Middlesex, England Son Westminster St Martin in the Fields Middlesex Mary A Scott abt 1847 Middlesex, England Daughter Westminster St Martin in the Fields Middlesex Frances is the right age and if you check FreeBMD there is a birth reg for Caroline Leatt and one for George Leatt, both in St Martin in the Fields district that fit for the children above. However, the decider (I think) is this on the IGI which would fit with the Angelina Scott aged 3 on the above census: ANGELINA FRANCES LEATT Event(s): Birth: 14 FEB 1857 Christening: 31 AUG 1872 Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England Parents: Father: GEORGE LEATT Mother: FRANCES Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 19:35

I meant to say, they are SCOTT on the original census page, but I would imagine it's a copying error by the enumerator! Can't be that many Angelina's can there?? Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Nov 2005 19:36

Well done you.........the combination of that lot ,the missing young Frances,and my death to confirm it,settles it,job done,Merry !! if there was ever going to be a mistranscription,it had to be the S/L thing,ie the copperplate S on a slope looks like an L. Also the c is the e-easily done. the o is the a-again easily done. Like Lewis was transcibed as Severio,very similar.

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 19:39

Alter, Who was it said, it's always easier when it's someone elses tree??!!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:24

By 1871 Frances has remarried: Marriages Dec 1866 Cockrane William J Lambeth 1d 503 >>>>Knowles John B Lambeth 1d 503 >>>>Leatt Frances Lambeth 1d 503 PARKLOW Sarah A Lambeth 1d 503 and she is Mrs Knowles. She still has Caroline and Angelina living at home!: 1871: Angelena Knowles abt 1857 Bedford; Bury, Middlesex, England Daughter St Mary Le Strand London Caroline Knowles abt 1853 Drury Lane, Middlesex, England Daughter St Mary Le Strand London Frances Knowles abt 1826 Shoe Lane City Wife St Mary Le Strand London George Knowles abt 1861 Bedford; Bury Son St Mary Le Strand London John Knowles abt 1821 Strand, Middlesex, England Head St Mary Le Strand London Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:26

1881 everyone has left home! Frances Knowles abt 1823 St Andrews Holm, Middlesex, England Wife 11 Russell Court, St Martin In The Fields, London, England John Knowles abt 1821 St Martins, Middlesex, England Head 11 Russell Court, St Martin In The Fields, London, England Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:29

because Angelina has married: Marriages Dec 1879 GLINDON Arthur Strand 1b 983 Leatt Anglina Strand 1b 983 1881: Angelina Caroline Glindon abt 1860 Holborn, Middlesex, England Lodger Wife 10 Vere Street, St Clement Danes, London, England Arthur Glindon abt 1860 Chelsea, Middlesex, England Lodger (Head) 10 Vere Street, St Clement Danes, London, England Mary Ann Caroline Glindon abt 1880 St Clements, Middlesex, England Daughter 10 Vere Street, St Clement Danes, London, England George Leatt abt 1861 Holborn, Middlesex, England Visitor 10 Vere Street, St Clement Danes, London, England Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 Nov 2005 20:30

When youre hot, youre hot !!!

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:32

I wonder if Angelina's sister, Caroline, had died, as in that 1881 census Angelina seems to have assumed her sister's firstname into her own names.......(and that of her daughter) Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:32

Ooooh Alter!! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:53

1891 Glendon, Angelina abt 1860 Bedfordbury, London, England Wife St Pancras London Glendon, Arthur abt 1860 Chelsea, London, England Head St Pancras London Glendon, Florence abt 1887 St Martins, London, England Daughter St Pancras London Glendon, Francies abt 1889 St Martins, London, England Daughter St Pancras London Glendon, Mary A abt 1881 St Martins, London, England Daughter St Pancras London Glendon, Nellie abt 1891 St Pancras, London, England Daughter St Pancras London Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Nov 2005 20:59

Oh, funny - back to the dodgy transcripts again! 1901: Angeline Lindon abt 1859 St Martins, London, England Wife St Martin in the Fields London Arthur G Lindon abt 1860 St Giles, London, England Head St Martin in the Fields London Ellen Lindon abt 1891 Islington, London, England Daughter St Martin in the Fields London Florence Lindon abt 1886 St Martins, London, England Daughter St Martin in the Fields London and finally: Deaths Dec 1902 Glindon Angelina 43 Islington 1b 154 Merry

Merry

Merry Report 8 Nov 2005 07:08

Nudge for Allie Merry