Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Its pages of 'Ann Unknown' time again!aka Hotmatch

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2005 17:04

Yes, guys and girls, its hotmatch day and I have trawled through 5 more pages of Ann Unknowns interspersed with people who yes do have a name I have but theres were born some 500 miles away. Oh please, GR get this streamlined.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 8 Nov 2005 17:10

It may be hot match day for you, but it isn't for me :-( Has GR abandoned the far more useful Name Summary notification? I used to get it every fortnight and it's much easier to navigate than the onsite Name Summary as it ignores all names with no new entries.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2005 17:11

No Brenda, not one rotten match in 5 pages.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Nov 2005 17:12

At the moment I do not have my tree on here but I got sent a hotmatch message for my own name. I was born in Surrey and this other person somewhere in the north of England. I am pretty certain that in my account details that I have requested no messages for hotmatches. Maureen Update Just checked my account details and I am right in that I have 'NO' ticked for notification of hotmatches.

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 8 Nov 2005 18:14

Oh I am getting so frustrated with these hot matches. In theory, it is a really good idea. And I can even cope with the ones who have a totally different place of birth - after all, we know how definitions of place of birth can alter on the censuses, sometimes the name of a village, sometimes the nearest town, so I can see that matching the place of birth exactly would rule out a lot of what might be useful matches. But please, oh please, GR, could you get past the letter C? I do so want to see if there are any matches for the E's and H's - it's not so very far away. And when I have discarded a match, I don't want it to pop up again next time, grinning evilly at me. Oh and yes, please could hot matches learn to count. I am particularly interested in people who have more than one name that matches with mine - obviously a much greater chance of a connection if more than one name matches. So why does hot matches tell me someone has 3 matches, and then show me a whole page of them (I knew about them anyway), or worse still, say only 1 match, and then proceed to present me with 4! I give in. I am going to amble off and look for a plate of thistles. Tina (shuffles away, shoulders slumped)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Nov 2005 19:30

They only seem to send me Hotmatches to my William and Elizabeth Smith (or was it that I gave up after deleting about 40 Smith hot matches 'cos they didn't come from Scotland) UPDATE I take it all back, I've just looked at my hotmatches and I think I have a proper one. What do you reckon the likelihood of someone having not only Elizabeth Smith, John Cochrane, Caroline Lamont and two William Lamont's but all with correct years?

Sue

Sue Report 8 Nov 2005 20:14

I've had one hot match which got me back to the 1600s for the first time, if it's correct. But the kind lady who let me see her tree hasn't replied to tell me where she found her info. If it's parish records, YAY!, But IGI....! Sue (in NZ)

George

George Report 8 Nov 2005 20:39

I have had one success with hot matches so far, made contact with descendants of my great grans sister. George

Jean

Jean Report 8 Nov 2005 21:21

I haven't had any hot matches yet. But dozens of some names which are correct but mine all come from London and I get sent those from Wales!!

Netti

Netti Report 8 Nov 2005 21:28

another 4 pages of hot matches.....going to delete my gt gt grandma who had the uninspiring name Jane Jones - she makes up 2 pages herself each time! And grandma on other side had surname Miller - thats another page and a half.... still, mustn't grumble - found 2 where name and dates match (no place given) so who knows? netti ps what is the point of the 'discard this match' click?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 8 Nov 2005 23:04

Pollyanna here. My hot matches have arrived. Okay, they don't actually contain anyone that I want to contact and haven't contacted already, but they are starting to match my Skillings. It is disconcerting that they rearrange the list each time I save it, while one contact originally showed as two, then merged. But hey, eventually I'll have a list of my contacts, just sorted in a different order. Why must they ALL be called David, though?

Fiona

Fiona Report 9 Nov 2005 01:23

I got 5 very hot matches today..............yes 5. Only thing was they were they are already my contacts!!!! What is the point in giving me hot matches that they already know I'm in touch with??????

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 9 Nov 2005 02:14

And I await with bated breath..... Unknown :(((( Any guesses as to how many 'Hot Matches' we all get when that hits the matches??? Chris

Stardust

Stardust Report 9 Nov 2005 06:25

My 'Hotmatches' rarely match but I keep getting a match on my Read ancestors and I know this is definintely so. I have emailed the lady a couple of times but without any success and I would so like to hear from her to clear up one or two things. I'd be quite happy not to have her pass on her information should she so wish but I would like to compare notes so to speak so PLEASE PLEASE Janet if you see this PLEASE PLEASE contact me I'm getting really desperate to hear from you, and if I have anything of use to you you are more than welcome. Grace

Heather

Heather Report 9 Nov 2005 10:37

CHRIS - gulp, hadnt thought of that one!

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 9 Nov 2005 11:42

Have already discarded quite a lot of '?? ??' matches - but the really frustrating one is Wendy who shares 11 of my ancestors!! Have emailed her twice without reply - she is my hottest match and so far, no contact!!

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 9 Nov 2005 13:19

Whenever I try to discard a match (which no doubt will be 99% of all my so called hotmatches) it takes me back to the home page, but the match is still there. I've resorted to putting them in my ignore list and I'm at the point now where I won;t bother to look at the hotmatches again. I'll search the surname lists myself. Carole

Kate

Kate Report 9 Nov 2005 13:26

I've sent an email to GR asking if they are working on sorting the hot matches system out so it works properly, and I will let you know when I get the reply. Kate. (sick of all those William and Thomas Browns born in Scotland - mine were born in London).

Melissa

Melissa Report 9 Nov 2005 13:29

Carole and other with same prob. put a tick in the far left box ( i do whole page or it takes for ever), then scroll down and click save. And their gone. p.s. had 26, thanks Jade. Mel.

Brit

Brit Report 9 Nov 2005 17:09

Melissa I tried that but they still don't 'go away'! I sorted through pages of Hot Matches and tried to contact a number of possibles but had only a couple of replies. It only takes a minute to say 'sorry, no match', why don't people bother? Since it said they were all new matches I would have to assume they are still members. Very frustrating!