Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please for BEFORE 1861 census.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 16:34

see below:

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 16:34

I have on Ref. RG9/2906 on the 1861 Thomas Greenhalgh - son in law c 1822 + children Martha c 1843, Susannah c 1845 + Sarah A c 1847. + Thomas c 1853. Mother in law (Head) is Catherine Turner c 1788. All born Pendleton, Lancashire. I assume therefore that as Thomas Snr. is a widdower, that he was married to ? Turner. I have all the Greenhalgh's on subsequent census's but cannot find them before. I cannot find Mother-in-law before or after. I can only find 2 marriages of Thomas to a Turner but can't follow either of them through. - 1 is to a Mary Turner in 1842 and the other to a Betsy Turner in 1845. Can't find any deaths of either under Greenhalgh. He has a new wife in 1871 and I have traced her but would appreciate some help in tracing backwards to his first wife please. Thanks, Dea x

Louise

Louise Report 16 Nov 2005 16:47

Oh dear I had a look too but the problem seems to be the dreaded missing pages. The 1851 census for pentleton and many neighbouring hamlets was damaged by water and isn't available. I lost some of my Pendlebury GREENHALGHs in the sam hole Louise

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 16:53

Thanks Louise, As you can see, I am still working on finding that link - I PROMISE to be in touch as soon as I find it. Thanks for looking for this one. Dea

Ted

Ted Report 16 Nov 2005 19:08

Dea, the way I see it is this, could be wrong. CATHERINE TURNER must have married a TURNER, how do you know his first name as she is a widow 73 in 1861. So THOMAS GREENHALGH must have married one of CATHERINES daughters and THOMAS son in law was a widower in 1861. Am I right so far? TED

Ted

Ted Report 16 Nov 2005 19:17

Dea THOMAS GREENHALGH 1851 HO 107/2215 age 27 born Pendleton, coal miner living in BURY.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 19:23

Ted, You are confusing me now. - I do't know Catherines husband's first name as she was a widdow in 1861. Yes, I believe she must have a daughter who was married to Thomas Greenhalgh. The Thomas you have in 1861 is not the right one - my one was born Pendleton (not Bury) and was a Joiner (not a Coal miner). Thanks for the help though. Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 16 Nov 2005 19:25

Just because the mother-in-law is called Turner doesn't mean that was her daughters name when she married Thomas. Mother or daughter could have been married more than once! You need a child's birth cert!! Only trouble is, I can't see any that fit on FreeBMD. So would mean a search of the GRO indexes. It is Clitheroe District, isn't it? Merry

Joan

Joan Report 16 Nov 2005 19:26

Dea, is Pendleton the one near Pendle Hill, near Sabden, near Clitheroe ? Or somewhere else. Not sure where I am looking now. Joan (with a rubber on her pencil)

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 19:29

Merry + Joan, Pendleton is Salford, Manchester, Lancashire. Thanks for looking, Dea.x

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 19:34

Ted, It COULD be him but I think he got married in either 1842 0r 1845 and he SHOULD be a Joiner, not a Coal miner. Dea x

Ted

Ted Report 16 Nov 2005 19:39

Dea, hi again. No, that THOMAS GREENHALGH was born in PENDLETON not BURY. he was lodging there age 27 which would have made his birth year 1824. TED. not a joiner though, down as a coal miner.

Ted

Ted Report 16 Nov 2005 19:47

Dea. marriage THOMAS GREENHALGH to LUCY TURNER 1842 BOLTON VOL 21 PAGE 37. is that any good to you. First child MARTHA born 1843.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 19:49

Thanks Ted, But, he should be a joiner and he SHOULD have 3 daughters - Martha 8, Susannah 6, and Sarah A 4. Can't be him???????????? Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 19:50

TED - YOU LOVELY MAN !!! Where did you find that marriage???????????? and how do you know 1st child was Martha??????? Dea x

Ted

Ted Report 16 Nov 2005 20:40

Dea. youre making me blush now. Found it a site, cant remember now, it was half an hour ago and you dont expect my brain to keep up with time do you. Martha, you gave the name on your first post. TED.XX

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 20:46

TED< TED< TED !!! I know I gave you Martha's name BUT you have confirmed it as their first child. !!! - HOW GREAT IS THAT ??? Seriously, Thank you for the info - I have found the wedding now on 1837 BUT If you can remember where you confirmed Martha's birth, please let me know - If not, - hey ho!! - I'll find it again another way, one day! Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 16 Nov 2005 20:50

I don't wish to appear negative, but re Martha, I think Ted was just reminding you when the first child was born as if to re-establish that the marriage would be good for date :O(( But I expect it is the right one!! Maybe you could trawl for Lucy's death to confirm? Merry

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2005 20:53

Thank you Merry - Great minds think alike - I've had a trawl for the death but haven't found it yet. BUT I WILL !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again, Dea x

Ted

Ted Report 17 Nov 2005 10:35

Dea, MARTHA GREENHALGH born BOLTON 1843 book 21 page 111. Worth a try seeing as mom and dad were married BOLTON year earlier. What do you think.