Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This made me laugh.....1861

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 13:55

See below in a mo.......

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 14:00

The census enumerator called on this family with their new-born son, aged one day.......''What's his name??'' said the enumerator........''Ummmmm..We haven't given him a name yet''.......... So the enumerator had to write something, didn't he? Census Knotwell abt 1861 Callington, Cornwall, England Son Callington Cornwall I looked at the birth reg. Someone must have put their foot down, as this must be him: KNOTWELL Charles Batten Liskeard 5c 65 Still funny though....Imagine going through life being called Census LOL Merry

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 17 Nov 2005 14:03

lo Census - wonder if he got it as a nickname later on? lol

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Nov 2005 14:05

it always amuses me when you come across an entry for a lodger within someones household where he's listed as 'name not known'... You may not know much about your lodger , but surely you know his name!

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Nov 2005 14:09

can i adopt this one View Record Baby (Unnamed) abt 1881 Bristol Bedminster Unknown 34 Montgomery St, Bedminster, Somerset, England seems no-one knew his name or where he came from

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 14:29

That's awful Jess - yes, you must take him straight away....who the *** does he belong to?? Note the person three up on the page; a man who seems to be called Mary (!) has occupation ''Catgut maker''......Surely only a CAT can make Catgut??????????????????? Merry

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 17 Nov 2005 15:09

Well my favourite is this one, from the 1871: Name: A Man with A Big Nose Age: 40 Relation: On Tramp Gender: Male Where born: Stockport, Lancashire, England Source information: RG10/4250 Folio: 47 Page: 5

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 15:14

Oh, brilliant Richard - that one was new to me! If only they had a ''Physical Description'' column on the census - what fun we would have with that! Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Nov 2005 15:17

family of three living where? A railway signal box in deal! View Record Alia Prize abt 1857 Deal, Kent, England Daughter Middle Deal Rd S.E. Rail Signal Box, Deal, Kent, England View Record Edwin Prize abt 1824 Rotherhithe, Surrey, England Head Middle Deal Rd S.E. Rail Signal Box, Deal, Kent, England View Record Emily Prize abt 1818 Islington, Middlesex, England Wife Middle Deal Rd S.E. Rail Signal Box, Deal, Kent, England

The Bag

The Bag Report 17 Nov 2005 15:19

I have a vision...in and out via the slit! 3 generations too View Record Ann Mackerness abt 1810 Whaddon Wife Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England View Record Charles Mackerness abt 1868 Nash Grandson Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England View Record Eddie Mackerness abt 1875 Nash Grandson Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England View Record George Mackerness abt 1861 Whaddon Son Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England View Record James Mackerness abt 1813 Whaddon Head Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England View Record James Mackerness abt 1858 Whaddon Son Village Post Box, Nash, Buckinghamshire, England

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 17 Nov 2005 15:40

FAIR PLAY THEY ARE AMUSING ARNT THEY EXCEPT THAT POOR LITTLE MITE BLESS HIM ANGIE XX

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2005 16:12

Is this better than a signal box? Cornelius GOWEN Head U Male 59 Cantley, Norfolk, England Drover Dwelling A Shed Limpenhoe, Norfolk, England RG11 Piece / Folio 1961 / 59 Page 26 nell

Andrea

Andrea Report 17 Nov 2005 16:39

I feel sorry for these: Shepherd FISH aged 39 Darwen,Lancs RG11/4207 f28 p49 Fish HOLDEN Over Darwen,Lancs RG11/4208 f64 p41 but worst of all: Fish FISH aged 46 Over Darwen Lancs RG11/4208 f110 p23 There's something fishy going on in Darwen

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 17:32

I expect Fish Holden is one of Olde Crone Holden's relatives.......... Merry

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2005 17:35

Checking for Fish, I found this in 1901 William Fish Curry abt 1899 Bedlington, Northumberland and for a moment, I thought this was a person! Fish Shop Brighton Sussex nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2005 17:36

and to go out with Mr Fish Curry we have: Gillis, Chips abt 1890 Sunderland, Durham, England Daughter Bishop Wearmouth Durham

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2005 17:37

Who says modern celebrities have invented giving your children silly names: Apple Moon abt 1854 Cheltn, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Cheltenham Gloucestershire Apple Bottomley abt 1844 Austonley, Yorkshire, England Brother Saddleworth Yorkshire nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2005 17:42

Here's a domesticated man: DAVIS, John Teapot 1842 June Deaths Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan nell

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Nov 2005 19:26

Yes Merry, you are quite right....the b***y Fishes ARE my rellies! You have probably heard me squawking about this before, but this family contains: Fish Fish Holden Fish Fish Holden Holden Holden And Duckworth Holden Holden Duckworth Holden Fish Duckworth and so on and on.... In 1870s, James Holden and his cousin Fish Fish were prosecuted at Preston Quarter Sessions for stealing FISH! Olde Crone

Merry

Merry Report 17 Nov 2005 20:27

THAT'S THE BIT I REMEMBER!!!! Fish Fish being prosecuted...... These days he would be being given psychiatric help because his parents had been cruel to him, giving him such a daft name! Merry