Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

spare eyes please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Bag

The Bag Report 24 Nov 2005 09:04

transcribed as ...

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 09:08

Jess, I've opened up Ancestry + my eyes are at the ready!! Dea x

The Bag

The Bag Report 24 Nov 2005 09:10

sorry computer fell over, hang on- had to restart .....Grrr had the RG no just now too George Bennett abt 1830 Devonshire St Hipne Grones, Middlesex, England Head Southwark St George the Martyr Surrey the address 91 Gt Stafford St- OK! occ Labourer? Birthplace? leicestershire?

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 09:17

Jess, Which census are we looking on? Dea

The Bag

The Bag Report 24 Nov 2005 09:19

sorry am due on my computer course at 9.30! 1861 I think

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 24 Nov 2005 09:25

the age looks like 21 making 1840 the road looks what you have said and Occ not sure on birth place Jeanette

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 09:32

If you go back and forth a few pages it is DEFINITELY Gt. Suffolk Street (much clearer at no. 93! I am still workimg on the rest. Dea x

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Nov 2005 09:42

Hi Jess, Hope you weren't late for your compouter course. I agree that the age looks more like 21 (1840), especially with wife Charlotte being 20 (makes more sense) The Occ...could be a quickly written ..Labourer The place of birth: ......... Well, for starters I think it starts with Middx (Middlesex) But then ... forgive me Jess ... the next word COULD be Devonshire ?? sorry ! Although the first letter could be mistaken for an L .. my first instinct was Livershire ! ... but decided NO ! ...maybe Devonshire. Could it be St/Sh Pool ? . Forgive me babe, but why can't he have been born in Devonshire St Hipne Groves ....as it describes on the details ???? I'll go and have a look under Devonshire and see if any other possibles jump out !....but for now, I really do think he was born in Devonshire, St Hipne Groves. There is a South Pool under Devon. Could it say Sh Pool ponds ? Elaine ;-)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 24 Nov 2005 09:42

Can't read 1861, but in 1871 he was born in Sevendials, Middlesex (where ever that is!). He's also born c1839.

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 10:14

Sorry Jess, I've tried and I've tried and I still can't read it - Giving up now but will try to have another look later. The first word is certainly Middx. Dea x

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 24 Nov 2005 10:49

I have PM'd April about this thread Jeanette

Judith

Judith Report 24 Nov 2005 11:10

Middlesex is the County, I think Devonshire is the name of the street - could the last part be Lissom Grove (which is Marylebone area)? Mddx, Devonshire St Lissom Grove

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 11:25

He was down as born Marylebone on the 1851 Dea

Heather

Heather Report 24 Nov 2005 11:33

Wow, thats a difficult one. Not sure about the Devonshire though, the first letter is much more elaborate than his other 'D''s, isnt it. Yes, says Labourer And it does seem to say Lissom Grove (using the old style double s) But why so much detail?

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Nov 2005 11:59

I'll be busy for the next hour ..shaving dad's hair !!! ..but I'll check out the London/Middlesex 1861 disc's later and see if there are any roads which may match up in Marylebone and other area's. Elaine ;-) Lisson Buildings Lisson St Lisson Grove ***** POSSIBILITY ? Lisson Cottages all under Marylebone. Nothing showing under St Lissons.......

Judith

Judith Report 24 Nov 2005 12:44

The street index on my 1841 London census CDs has Devonshire St Lisson Grove Marylebone HO107/677/4 30-38 and HO107/677/5 5-13 HO107/677/6 40-65

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Nov 2005 13:00

Judith !! I was rushing .. ! sorry. You did what I should have done and searched for the correct st ! Elaine ;-(

Judith

Judith Report 24 Nov 2005 13:14

I can only find one Bennett family in Catherine Street Joanna? Bennett 15 No William Bennett 20 Bricklayer Y William Bennett 2 Y They were with a couple whose names I can't puzzle out but def. not Bennett John F______ 25 Painter N L____ Do 25 N

Dea

Dea Report 24 Nov 2005 13:35

I don't know why I am still searching for this one - IT HAS ME BEAT !! Can't resist though - will keep looking till someone comes up with the answer. Sorry Jess, Dea x

Donna

Donna Report 24 Nov 2005 16:07

Hi Jess I had a quick look and if you go to page 22 at the bottom the occupation is dock labourer and the labourer word looks very similar to the occupation on your George...sorry couldnt look for longer but in a rush. Donna