Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peoples Christmas names on GR, and Can Men write X

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 11:02

Please can people not put an inverted comma at the beginning of their name!!?!! Everytime I click on a message or review a contact with someone who has a '' or ' at the start of their name, I either cannot access their message, or I get an error message (Says ''Error on Page'') , or everything freezes!! It's taken me ages to realise what is the common factor amongst these contacts, but just cottoned it's the '' thing! Happy Hunting - Merry x (see several messages in for Christmas card Q!!)

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 11:28

..and I meant to say, Is this happening to anyone else? Merry

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 9 Dec 2005 11:31

Do you mean messages in email or on the boards? I can access the board ones fine, and I don't think I have any emails from a ' at the moment.

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 11:34

On the boards is fine, it's when they send me a PM that it all falls apart!! Am changing thread title! Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Dec 2005 11:54

I have no idea's about a christmas name- had a few then gone off them, Whatever i choose its going to have '' '' so you cant get me! Tee hee! Jess

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 12:00

Oh Lol Jess,.....Of course, I could do the same back to you!! I agree, I've spent most of October/Nov trying to think of a good Christmas name.....May wait til Xmas eve????/ Spent sooooo much time thinking, I have missed the last overseas posting day, so am frantically writing them this morning! Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 9 Dec 2005 12:05

Merry.... Merry..... Merry... i couldnt live without you!! I wont really! jess x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Dec 2005 13:17

Now you mention it, I remember someone saying something similar, ages ago, on another thread. I think it also happens if you start the thread-header with inverted commas. Christine

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 14:10

LOL Jess, Christine.....I'm sure you are right! Everyone - Can men do Christmas Cards???????????? YES!!!!!!.......Hubby has just written FIVE Christmas cards all by himself!!! It goes like this....I write all the family and joint friends. I write all the ones for people who neither of us have met in person.....but, HE has to write the ones for people who he has met and I have not. Obviously, I provide the addresses, a pen, the cards, stamps, a childfree zone for him too write them etc. But....HE HAS DONE IT!!! Hooray....three cheers?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 16:44

Doh.....it's taken all day....he's just going to the post office....and turns out he only managed 3 out of 5, because he ''didn't see'' the other two. I am being tough and making him write them before he goes!! Am I being too harsh?? Merry

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 9 Dec 2005 16:51

Not too harsh at all Merry, I admire your tenacity and.... hang my head in shame when I admit that once again I succumbed to the little boy lost routine and......did it for him.....aggghhhh!

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Dec 2005 16:54

Merry Yes, men can write Christmas cards, but as you've discovered they need a lot of advice, support and encouragement to do so. I send cards to family and family friends, then I give my husband the leftovers for whoever else he'd like to send to. Of course I have to supply the stamps and show him where the address book is. (It's a large hardback book on the table with the telephone, pens & paper but he has a lot of trouble locating it, poor lamb!) nell

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 17:07

Thank you for your encouragement! Do yuo think an introduction to wrapping paper would be pushing things? Merry

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 9 Dec 2005 17:18

I can hold my head up high and look you in the eye on this one.......given the correct supervision the male is quite capable of wrapping and using the sello tape......although the appearance of the finished article can leave a little to be desired.....and the trauma of adding a label could well drive you to the advocat bottle. Mine can manage 1 an hour on a good day!!

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 17:28

LOL Little XP (you can call yourself ''Windows XP'' after Crimbo!!) Next disaster - feeding tea to children....notice son (6) is scratching all the time - Had a look..............he is COVERED, head to toe, in Nettle rash/hives...... Given Piriten (sp?) and told him he is having a cool bath in a mo......Boys don't like the bath, though........!! Merry

Fiona

Fiona Report 9 Dec 2005 17:46

I did try to get my hubby to write his side of the families Christmas cards but the thought of no one getting one got the better of me. I have bought twice as many cards as I need though and I figure if I start him in January he might just have them done for Christmas next year. Fiona. Living in hope!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 9 Dec 2005 17:58

Yes Merry Monty I have had this happen to me too. I found when I tried to open a thread with ' or ' on it my screen froze as well, some time I got error on page. It takes ages to get back to where you were in the first place. I didn't know until now when you mentioned the cause of it, looked back and found the ' or ' on the threads. Now I know what it was, I though there was something wrong with my computer!

Crafty

Crafty Report 9 Dec 2005 18:05

Hi all, Just had a great laugh with all your comments above!! Kept saying 'yes' thats my hubby to all of the above!!! What is it with these men at Christmas?.... The next question from my hubby will be 'what have we bought my parents for Christmas?'... excuse me?....WE?.....lol...I do all the present shopping!! Suppose I better give him credit for one thing... he will come to Tesco's and help with all the food (drink!!!!) buying!! Sue

valium

valium Report 9 Dec 2005 21:55

as i am hopless at spelling my husband use to write the cards for his freinds but even i can write happy christmas Val

Merry

Merry Report 9 Dec 2005 22:28

Oh LOL Joan......I thought it was only the inverted comma!! Would you like me to send you some PM's that you can't delete!!!! fancy me complaining when I have the same! Mind you, I'm sure I have deleted messages from others with different symbols? Maybe it depends what symbol it is?? How long is it until you are 16 then??!!! Merry