Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Argh (Welsh relatives!) UPDATE Dim problem, thanks

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 10:49

Cas has found some of these people, hiding as Evan instead of Evans in 1851. I;ve been able to use that info to find them in 1861, 71, 81 and then possible deaths. Cas also found a marriage for them, well done Cas!

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 10:53

I am fairly certain that this John and Mary Evans are my husband's great-great grandparents. But how do I find them before 1871? There are lots of John Evans around the right age who are coal miners in Glamorgan! I don't yet have Mary's maiden name. I know the answer is to get their child's birth cert, but I can't find anyone born in Taibach - or Tai-Bach in 1851. It must be called something!! 1871 10 Brick Row, Llwydarth Road, Llangynwyd Glamorgan John Evans abt 1840 Monk-Nash, Glamorgan, Wales Head Mary Evans abt 1841 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wife 1881 96 Garth Road Cwmdu, Glamorgan, John Evans abt 1839 Monknash, Glam, Head coal miner Mary Evans abt 1841 Taibach, Wife 1891 14 Garth Road, Cwmdu Glamorgan Evans, John abt 1840 Mountain Ash [sic], Glam, Head 51 pitman coal Evans, Margaret [sic] abt 1841 Taibach, Glam, Wife 50 1901 7 Garth Road Cwmdu John Evans head 61 pitman b Glamorgan Marcross [sic] Mary Evans wife 60 b Glamorgan [too faint to read] nell

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jan 2006 10:59

helen, a little while back you helped me with welsh rellies. i was looking for ann beynon, who infact wasnt beynon after all. she was ann evans but born ann perkins!!!! i now have the same with my morgans. they started off as evans!!! my....those evans liked to scatter about their illigitimate children. maybe your evans started with another surname? sorry, no help i know.....but just think of all the fun tracing all those welsh names!!!!! jane x

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 11:01

Jane It doesn't matter what blinky surname Welsh rellies have, there are just too many of them and they all have the same blinky first names! Plus the birthplaces get even more mangled in transcription than English ones. Although all of them stayed in the same county, its a real fiddle sorting them all out. nell

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jan 2006 11:05

nell, i've now sent off to glamorgan records to do surname and parish register searches. lazy i know but i could'nt face any more evans!!!! good luck and thanks for your help previously jane x

Kerry Ann

Kerry Ann Report 8 Jan 2006 11:22

hi helen i dont know if this is any use but i found this on 1901 john evans head age 61 pitman born glamorgan marcross mary evans wife age 50 born glamorgan dalboch john evans single age 25 born glamorgan maesteg coal miner hewer evan evans sorry both are sons single age 19 coal miner hewer born glamorgan maesteg daniel evans son single age 17 born glamorgan maesteg coal miner hewer hope it helps good luck i have prolems with my husbands lot a lot come from wales also and its a nightmare!! kerry suden

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Jan 2006 13:26

This was the best I could do on IGI: Batch No.: C057371 1850 - 1863, 1864 - 1875 MARY EVANS Christening: Mary 16 FEB 1855 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: DAVID EVANS Mother: MARY Christening: Mary 01 APR 1855 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: HENRY EVANS Mother: MARY Christening: Mary Jane 21 JAN 1858 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: EMMANUEL EVANS Mother: MARY Christening: Mary Ann 06 MAR 1860 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: JENKIN EVAN Mother: RACHEL Christening: Mary 24 SEP 1860 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: WILLIAM EVANS Mother: HANNAH Christening: Mary 30 MAY 1861 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: JOHN EVANS Mother: MARY WILLIAMS Christening: Mary 07 APR 1862 Taibach, Glamorgan Death: 25 FEB 1865 Christening: Mary 25 MAY 1867 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: REES EVANS Mother: MARY Christening: Mary Ann 03 SEP 1871 Taibach, Glamorgan Death: 14 FEB 1872 Christening: Mary Lizzie 07 MAR 1874 Taibach, Glamorgan Father: DAVID EVANS Mother: ELIZABETH I include them all because, occasionally people weren't baptised as babes. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 13:26

Kerry That's the right chap, I already have him & family in 1901, I want to find him before he married. Thanks anyway. Bev Thank you that's very helpful, I will check it out now. Christine, thanks, I'll investigate your finds too:-))) nell

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Jan 2006 14:35

Hi Nell Just been looking at some maps and Monknash and Marcross are neighbouring villiges near Llantwit Major and Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan which should be the registration district of Bridgend. Taibach is in the Neath, Glamorgan area and very close to Margam. Just a thought, do you know when the first child was born? as they could either be married or still single in 1861. And finding a referencr to the marrage may help locate Mary if they married later. There are 4 Mary's born in Taibach in 1841 on the 1861 census and 2 in 1838. Some of these girls are listed as born in Margam on the 1851 census.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 14:55

Lunar Why didn't I check the map? Because i know where Monknash and Taibach are and Marcross didn't ring a bell. What a twit!!! First child born 1861 but I think after the census as I can't find her. Born Taibach (which I couldn't get to come up when I did a search for some reason) and of course named Mary after her mother!!! The thought of checking a marriage between John Evans and Mary someone in Wales even if I do have a good idea of the reg district is making me feel ill. I think the answer will be to get the birth cert of their son Jenkin, as a) his name is less usual than their other children and b) is is a direct ancestor of husband. But of course his birth doesn't appear to be on Freebmd. Thanks for your help anyway. I will have another go at the 1861. Cheers nell

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 8 Jan 2006 15:04

Nell I think I might know the answer.... I think on 1861 look for Mary Evans aged 9 days....will be right back!

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 8 Jan 2006 15:08

Mary Evans abt 1861 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Granddaughter Margam Glamorgan View Record Alice Williams abt 1846 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan View Record Ann Williams abt 1849 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan View Record David Williams abt 1851 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan View Record Margaret Williams abt 1844 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan View Record Mary Williams abt 1841 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan View Record Thomas Williams abt 1814 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Head Margam Glamorgan View Record Thomas Williams abt 1838 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan View Record William Williams abt 1854 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan Have got a daughter Mary, right age, right birthplace, maybe they didn't get married until after the birth????? No proof though, sorry Also if you look on IGI using batch numbers there are 2 Evans births in Monknash to a Jenkin Evans..in the 1840's.....no John though

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 8 Jan 2006 15:25

EDWARD EVANS Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 26 FEB 1837 Monknash, Glamorgan, Wales Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: JENKIN EVANS Family Mother: MARY -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C024771 1812 - 1873 0104892 Film 0820578 Film Sheet: 00 WILLIAM EVAN Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 11 SEP 1842 Monknash, Glamorgan, Wales Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: JENKIN EVAN Family Mother: MARY -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C024771 1812 - 1873 0104892 Film 0820578 Film Sheet: 00

Wendy

Wendy Report 8 Jan 2006 15:49

Helen With the meniton of place names with a little mis -spelling could this be John then if indeed they did not actually marry he is single but can't make out the occupation. 1861 census Benjamin Evans abt 1845 Lantwit Juxta, Glamorgan, Wales Son Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan John Evans abt 1840 Lantwit Juxta, Glamorgan, Wales Son Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan Thomas Evans abt 1796 Lantwit Juxta, Glamorgan, Wales Head Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan Thomas Evans abt 1843 Lantwit Juxta, Glamorgan, Wales Son Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan William Evans abt 1838 Lantwit Juxta, Glamorgan, Wales Son Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan Mary Williams abt 1831 Llangathen, Carmarthenshire, Wales Servant Lantwit juxta Neath Glamorgan Wendy

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 8 Jan 2006 15:56

This one is down as being born in Llantwit. In those days they usually moved around to different coal pits. But his father is shown as a farmer of 30 acres. Resolven is in Neath and Taibach is now in Port Talbot. Probably would have been Margam then. 1851 Census Name: John Evans Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1840 Relation: Son Household: View other family members Gender: Male Where born: Lantwit, Glamorgan, Wales Civil Parish or Township: Resolven County/Island: Glamorgan Country: Wales Street address: View image Condition as to marriage: View image Occupation: View image Disability: View image Source information: HO107/2463 Registration district: Neath Sub-registration district: Neath ED, institution, or vessel: 5a Folio: 299 Page: 20 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 62 GSU Number: 104210

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 17:44

Ladies Thank you all so much. Sorry, my son demanded to go on the computer earlier, so I've only just seen your suggestions, which I am now going to investigate. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2006 13:04

This is a possible, right area as well.... 1851 HO107/2461 Folio: 74 Page: 57 Registration district: Bridgend Sub-registration district: Maesteg Edward Evan abt 1838 Monknash, Glamorgan, Wales Son Llangynwyd Cwmdu Glamorgan Jenkin Evan abt 1805 Wick, Glamorgan, Wales Head Llangynwyd Cwmdu Glamorgan **John Evan abt 1841 Monknash, Glamorgan, Wales Son Llangynwyd Cwmdu Glamorgan Mary Evan abt 1802 Lanow, Carmarthenshire, Wales Wife Llangynwyd Cwmdu Glamorgan William Evan abt 1842 Monknash, Glamorgan, Wales Son Llangynwyd Cwmdu Glamorgan ******************************************************** Do you have 1861 - cannot find john ******************************************************** This is a possible marriage on freebmd to suit the age, area, names Marriages Dec 1862 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Evans John Bridgend 11a 597 Williams Mary Bridgend 11a 597 ************************************************************** They lived in this area. Hope this helps Nell... Cas

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2006 13:15

1861 - looks like they were not married when Mary was born, the marriage details look very likely...you could order the cert quote both father's names...if you think this is likely. RG9/4080 Folio: 61 Page: 28 Registration district: Neath Sub-registration district: Margam ***Mary Evans abt 1861 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Granddaughter Margam Glamorgan Alice Williams abt 1846 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan Ann Williams abt 1849 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan David Williams abt 1851 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan Margaret Williams abt 1844 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan ***Mary Williams abt 1841 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Margam Glamorgan Thomas Williams abt 1814 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Head Margam Glamorgan Thomas Williams abt 1838 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan William Williams abt 1854 Taibach, Glamorgan, Wales Son Margam Glamorgan Sorry if you already have this... Cas

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2006 14:41

Cas Thank you! I'm just going to have a cup of tea and look at those finds carefully. Very grateful to you! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2006 14:41

If this is the right family..I have a possible marriages for John' parents and grandparents. Let me know if you want them cas