Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was this a hoax???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maud

Maud Report 18 Jan 2006 10:36

Still nothing about the BMD on Ancestry, do you think it was a hoax announcement by someone? Or, has it just been delayed

Michael

Michael Report 18 Jan 2006 10:38

I vote hoax, though I'd very much like to be proved wrong. I had a random email from Ancestry just yesterday which mentioned absoultely nothing about this fantastic new service - and make no mistake it would be a FANTASTIC service to offer! I live in hope.

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jan 2006 10:40

Apart from the recent press release, I have seen the GRO indexes mentioned as coming on to Ancestry be Easter (the same time as they are supposed to have the 1841 census).....but needless to say, I cannot remember where I read that (would be a couple of months back, if not more). I think the various offers being made for unit prices on 1837online do suggest there is something afoot......... I think we should all be checking blurbs in Family History Mags to see if there's any mention there.......... (but I don't have any recent ones here!!) Merry

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jan 2006 10:42

Could be a temporary sort of hoax by 1837 or Family Rellies??? I used up most of my units last night on others because I thought I would be using Ancestry today!! LOL .........Now.......shall I buy more on those other sites, or not??????????????? Merry (hope I don't get sued for libel!)

Nikki

Nikki Report 18 Jan 2006 10:44

This is a reply someone had posted on a similar thread...... After reading some of the replies I thought I would check that my account is all set for tomorrow so phoned Ancestry and yes I'm all ready to go and so I asked this very nice guy is it true that the full BMD index is going on line tomorrow and his answer was YES , he also said that there would be lots of new things coming on line, so its seems there is lots to look forward to.

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jan 2006 10:54

it was me that posted the original news and no its not a hoax - I'm happy to forward the email to a third party to prove it if necessary (it'd need to be someone I know an trust tho because it has press contact details on that can't be given out)

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2006 11:01

Too many indications that its not a hoax.

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2006 11:03

I had the email from 1837 regarding subs to their BMD info but have held off purchasing it to see what happens today. It will be interesting to see if or when Ancestry put their BMD index online if it will be available to use with the facility that the libraries use as this is how I normally access Ancestry. Karen

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jan 2006 11:05

Karten It's free (along with 1901 index) for the duration of current series of Who Do You Think You Are - not sure after that about library subscriptions Zoe

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2006 11:06

No one had any new emails from ancestry today?

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2006 11:09

Zoe Sorry, didn't really explain properly. I mean the supposed super dooper complete one that every one is waiting for. Karen

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Jan 2006 11:13

Karen, yes - the new one - thats what I mean. I think. I've read this press release about a hundred times and it's still not 100% clear - but it says: 'Ancestry will launch the complete Birth, Marriages and Death index from 1837 to the present day which will be available for free during the second series of Who Do You Think You Are. Ancestry is the only UK genealogy site to offer this particular service free of charge. It will act as an invaluable resource in particular for beginners wishing to find a starting point from which to build their family tree'

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jan 2006 11:14

It says 'will launch' so it cant be referring to what we already have on there, can it. Gawd, this is gonna cost a fortune if it does come out in full. I shall be trawling for any likely people!

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jan 2006 11:26

Oooh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe the press relese.....sorry if I gave that impression!! More that it would be just my luck if Ancestry had a computer glitch with it or something!! I DO WISH Ancestry would sort out the glitch they have with the 1983-2002 death indices. The Refine Search facility has not worked for over 9 months. They cannot forcast when it will be corrected. I wonder if more people will notice this problem once they have the 1837-1982 to search??? (Hope they don't give it the same glitch, or it will be completely unusable!) Roll on the next few hours/days!! Merry

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2006 11:34

I can't see the libraries being too impressed. The main one I use charges £1 per hour to use the BMD indexes so if its free on the computers not only will there be a scrabble for the computers but the library will loose money. Karen

Diane

Diane Report 18 Jan 2006 11:41

Hi all I have just read the comments made ,if true its great news. I am a subscriber of ancestor just standard price not sooper dooper, will i be able to search or do you have to have the sooper dooper package. Diane.

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jan 2006 11:44

Other replies have suggested you don't need the sooper dooper, but best to wait and see! Merry

Karen

Karen Report 18 Jan 2006 11:47

I read in one of the many mags yesterday an article about using ancestry and its still in the process. they are trying to lanuch the 1841 census too.

Merry

Merry Report 18 Jan 2006 11:48

Do you remember which mag, Karen?? Merry

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 18 Jan 2006 12:09

i got Email from them about historical Newspapers coming soon click on it and they will send me an email when its launched like they did for1851 Jeanette