Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find someone with no surname???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 16:31

With the help of some kind people on here, I found out my gg grandmother's name was Priscilla married to Michael McMahon. I've searched every entry on BMD and can't find any record of their marriage. I know she was born in Sheffield c1857. Anyone have any ideas where else I might look? Many thanks Jayne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2006 16:39

Jayne If you can't find the marriage record, you can perhaps find one of their children from a census and then order that child's cert as it will have the mother's maiden name on it. nell

Grant

Grant Report 28 Jan 2006 16:40

Her children's birth certificates should give her maiden name. Try looking for those on BMD.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2006 16:40

Alternatively, these are the Priscillas born 1857 Sheffield on the 1861 census: Priscilla Allen abt 1857 Sheffield, Yorks Daughter Sheffield Yorkshire Priscilla Lee abt 1857 British Subject Daughter Sheffield Yorkshire Priscilla Sanderson abt 1857 Sheffield, Yorkshire, Daughter Sheffield Yorkshire Priscilla Smith abt 1857 Sheffield, Yorkshire, Granddaughter Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Jan 2006 16:42

this was the family on the 1891 and 1901 census which we found the other day 1901 Maggriet Macmahon abt 1883 York, Derbyshire, England Daughter Rawmarsh Yorkshire Michal Macmahon abt 1848 Ireland Head Rawmarsh Yorkshire Pecola Macmahon abt 1858 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Wife Rawmarsh Yorkshire 1891 Mc Mahon, Magurite abt 1883 Denaby Main, Yorkshire, England Daughter Sheffield Yorkshire Mc Mahon, Michael abt 1845 Ireland Head Sheffield Yorkshire Mc Mahon, Pricilla abt 1856 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Wife Sheffield Yorkshire There only seems to be the one child and I couldn´t see a birth registration for her

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Jan 2006 16:45

theres also these Pricillas born 1857 in Sheffield Pricilla Howarth abt 1857 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Daughter Nether Hallam Yorkshire Pricilla Lee abt 1857 Sheffield Daughter Sheffield Yorkshire

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 16:46

Thanks all. The information you found for me Elaine is the one I've been using to try and trace her. I could find a birth entry for Margaret either so couldn't try and get a birth certificate. Think I might have to come back to this one at a later date - my brain is frazzled with it! Thank you all again. Jayne x

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 17:06

I've just done a check on BMD for those surnames and none match up with Michael. Wonder if they got married in Ireland? Are there lists where you can check Irish marriages? Jayne x

Grant

Grant Report 28 Jan 2006 17:18

Margaret McMahon Sept 1883 Barnsley 9c 187 Denaby Main seems to be a Colliery near Donaster. Is this a possible?

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2006 17:21

Denaby is in Doncaster reg district: Doncaster Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in West Riding, but also included parts of Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. Sub-districts : Barnbrough; Bawtry; Campsall; Doncaster; Tickhill GRO volumes : XXII (1837-51); 9c (1852-1930). Adwick le Street, Adwick upon Dearne, Armthorpe, Askerne, Austerfield, Auckley, Balby with Hexthorpe, Barnbrough, Barnby upon Don, Bawtry, Bentley with Arksey, Bilham, Blaxton, Bolton upon Dearne, Braithwell, Brodsworth, Burgh Wallis, Cadeby, Campsall, Cantley, Carr House and Elm Field, Clayton with Frickley, Conisbrough, Cusworth, **********************Denaby, ***************** Doncaster, Edlington, Fenwick, Hampole, Harlington, Hickleton, High Melton, Hooton Pagnell, Kirk Bramwith, Kirk Sandall, Langthwaite with Tilts, Long Sandall, Loversall, Marr, Mexborough, Moss, Norton, Owston, Pigburn, Rossington, Scawsby, Skellow, Sprotbrough, Stainton, Stancill with Wellingley and Wilseck, Stotfold, Sutton, Thorpe in Balne, Thurnscoe, Tickhill, Wadworth, Warmsworth, Wheatley. Registers now divided between Doncaster, Barnsley and East Retford districts.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2006 17:25

Think this could be Margaret's birth Sept 1882 Doncaster 9c 674 Doncaster covers Denaby!. Shirley

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jan 2006 17:52

There is this marriage of a Michael McMahon:- Sept. qtr. 1882, Liverpool, 8b, 352 If they came over from Ireland, they may have got married in Liverpool before moving across the country to where Margaret was born. You could always give the bride's first name as a checking point. Kath. x

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 17:55

Thank you. Shirley/Grant I'll have a look at those two and see if I get a match. Yes Grant Denaby Main used to be a colliery - I live 10 minutes away from there now how strange life is. Thank you all Jayne x

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 17:58

Hi Kath, I've checked all the marriages including Liverpool and didn't find a match on BMD with a Priscilla. I'll have another look though. Thanks Jayne x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2006 18:00

But the sept 1882 marriage doesnt show a priscilla as a bride. Shirley

Jayne

Jayne Report 28 Jan 2006 18:07

I've just gone back and checked in case I got it wrong but you're right it doesn't show her as the bride. Jayne x

lulabelle

lulabelle Report 29 Jan 2006 04:51

Hi Jayne, Found this on the 1881 census, so probably they got married before 1881. View Record Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Residence View Image View Record M. Mc Mahon abt 1849 Ireland Head 19 Edith St, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire, England View Record Priscilla Mc Mahon abt 1856 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Wife 19 Edith St, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire, England Hope it helps, Louise

Kath

Kath Report 29 Jan 2006 05:54

Hi Jayne APPLETON, Josephine Tryphiocs 1874 September Marriages Sheffield South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire CASSEDEY, Bridget 1874 September Marriages Sheffield South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire EGGLESTON, Ignatius 1874 September Marriages Sheffield South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire HIBBERT, Frederick Foster 1874 September Marriages Sheffield South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire MCMAHON, Michael 1874 September Marriages Sheffield South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire looking at 1881 census Josephine Tryphiocs Appleton married Frederick Foster Hibbert (easy to find as he's on the census using his full name) Ignatious is such and odd name he was easy to find he married Bridget Cassedey Which means all that's left is Michael McMahon as theres only 5 listed there must be a female missing which is highly likely to be Priscilla Name: McMahon, Michael Record Type: Marriages Quarter: September Year: 1874 District: Sheffield County: South Yorkshire West Riding of Yorkshire Volume: 9c Page: 661 you will need to order the cert to be sure but i am confident that i'm right ;) Regards Kath x

Rachel

Rachel Report 29 Jan 2006 07:32

Kath I've double checked that entry and it's a mistrancription, it should be Sheffield, 9c, 663 not 661. Most pages only have 2 couples on them and so whenever there seems to be a spare one, it's always best to double check by looking at the actual image. FreeBMD doesn't have all 4 people for the Pg no 663, it's missing a female who could well be Priscilla. The only options are to either wait for Free BMD to upload the entry or to order the certificate and see what it says.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 29 Jan 2006 08:23

This sort of thing is easier on FamilyRelatives if it's 1866-1920 Madden Priscilla Sheffield.9c 663 Marriage Jul-Sep 1874 Mcmahon Michael Sheffield.9c 663 Marriage Jul-Sep 1874 Can anybody find her in a census? I can't