Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are they or Arnt they? Twins

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 19:10

Hello all, After reading Yvonnes thread on here earlier, ive realised i could be looking for a twin for my great grandmother , as the time of day (1.30am) is on her birth cert which she said maybe cos its a multiple birth...................anyway........ive gone back on FreeBMD and there is another birth with same Surname - in the same Sept quarter 1859 -and same Vol and Page number....does that mean anything?? it reads Naomi Bevan Mythr Tydfil 11a 319 Ruth Bevan Mythr Tydfil 11a 319 is the same Vol and Page significant or not.?? (they are even next to each other when i viewed the original page on FreeBMD) So..................do i send for the cert or not????????? :-/ Cheers Jac xx (Ever Hopeful..!)

Jane

Jane Report 6 Feb 2006 19:12

Jackie, Yes! With a time on the cert, you're onto a sure thing .... Regs Jane

Dea

Dea Report 6 Feb 2006 19:13

Hi, I had a thread on here a week or so ago and found exactly the same thing - I believe these are twins like mine. Dea x

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 19:17

Waahhhoooo......! ooo i do hope so, it makes things a little more exciting..! Jac xx (another £7 spent) ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Feb 2006 19:19

If the babies were twins, they would be registered at the same time, so they would be on the same page. The volume number applies to a wide area which can cover more than one county. But the same vol & page number means they were registered at the same time, so I guess they could be twins, especially as there's a time on the birth cert of one of them. BUT sometimes one finds babies with the same surname registered at the same time who aren't twins. I have Williams twins, but there;s another Williams on the same registration page. I know they aren't triplets as I found the twins' baptisms on the IGI. nell

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Feb 2006 19:22

Bevan, Naomi 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Bevan, Ruth 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Davies, Ann Sarah 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Hughes, John 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Jones, John 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan Morgan, John 1859 September Births Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire Glamorgan Mid Glamorgan that is how it shows on ancestry so i would go with them being twins Dawn

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 19:25

Nell, Cheers for that. I think i will send for it just in case. If it does turn out to be someone elses babe, then i'll stick it on the unwanted certs on here. Actually, my gran had twins that didnt survive, so it could be that her mum Ruth was a twin after all, if it carries on in generations. (as long as it dosnt carry onto me.) :-/// Jac xx

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 19:30

Dawn, Thanks for doing that on Ancestry, for one minute then i thought you'd sent me all Bevans from the same quarter etc......!!!!!! i nearly passed out...hahaha Phew.....Twins are one thing, but all them..! Cheers Jac xx

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 19:52

Bit down now................searched the 1861census on 1837online and only one Naomi Bevan came up, different parents names, and no Ruth. Never mind, it was fun while it lasted. :-( Jac xx

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Feb 2006 20:03

Jackie would you like me to do a census lookup for you? Dawn

Merry

Merry Report 6 Feb 2006 20:10

Some registrars (incorrectly) put times for all births registered. Though I thought that was more the case in the first decade of civil reg. You might find two ladies who are related (maybe sister's-in-law, or even mum-in-law and dau-in-law), popping up to the reg office together to reg their babies. So it doesn't always depend on whether the surname is rare or commonplace. Hubby got caught out with this and ordered two certs (matching vol page etc) and they were first cousins!! However, there were no times on either cert, but he ordered them at the same time, so never got the chance to check. Have you looked for a death for the second baby? Merry (PS when you view all the names on a page on Ancestry or FreeBMD they come up in alphabetical order!!)

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 20:12

ooo Dawn, That would be great if you could. they not on the 1837online one, and thats the only one i have access to. (cant get back on ancestry cos ive forgot my password and they supposed to send me email to change it but havnt) Ruths parents were William Bevan and Sarah Bevan (nee Pritchard). Thing is, her age alters along the way, got her birth as 26 may 1859 which i take to be correct, then in 1875 when she should be 16, she fibs and says shes 18 (marriage cert) So i would be really grateful for anything you could find on her. i dont even know of any sibs. (thought i did for a mo..!) Thank you very much Jac xx

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 6 Feb 2006 20:12

Found this death but din't know where she was in 1861 Bevan, Ruth Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 6 Quarter: December Year: 1866 District: Swansea County: Glamorgan West Glamorgan Volume: 11a Page: 364

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 20:16

Thanks Merry, I see what you are saying, it makes sense. Im probably clutching at straws. Cheers Jac xx

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 20:19

Penny, Oh dear, never thought of looking for a death. i wonder if your right and one died and the other just opted between the 2 names, haha. Now ive got allsorts going through myhead. Wonder if i should go for that cert, id know by the parents names i suppose. Cheers Jac xx

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Feb 2006 20:20

Would william be about 59 in 1891?? Dawn

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 6 Feb 2006 20:21

£7 - the cost to cover hours of wondering, what ifs etc - cheap at half the price!!

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 6 Feb 2006 20:24

This could be Naomi/Ruth in 1881 - haven't found her yet prior to this 1881 Wales Census Record about Naomi Bevan Name: Naomi Bevan Age in 1881: 19 Estimated birth year: abt 1862 Relationship to head-of-household: Servant Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Female Where born: Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales Address: Brynheulog Villas Civil parish: Merthyr Tydfil County/Island: Glamorgan Condition as to marriage: Unknown Occupation: General Servant Education: View Image Employment status: View Image Source information: RG11/5313 Registration district: Merthyr Tydfil Sub-registration district: Lower Merthyr Tydfil ED, institution, or vessel: 29 Folio: 59 Page: 15

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 20:25

Dawn, I havnt found him on any census yet, well not with the right wife and Ruth etc. but he married in 1839 and it just says Full Age. Penny, Yes, i think i should go for it..! :-)

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Feb 2006 20:32

Karen, Thanks for that, I havnt got on the 1881 yet, Ruth was married by this time and lived in Stockton on Tees. unless it was Naomi taking Ruths name.........aaaaaaargh. cheers Jac xx