Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They must have had Children.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:05

Looking for children of: Isabella Diston born 1885 John Gray born ? married 1913 both of Gateshead, County Durham. Searched and searched - nothing - surelt they had kids, unless one of them died shortly after mariage, which I have looked for and cannotfind? Jennifer.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 25 Feb 2006 23:12

Jennifer There's no 'must' about it - people were infertile then, just as they are now and in those days there was absolutely no treatment. Olde Crone

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:13

yes, you are probably right, but just seems strange.

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 25 Feb 2006 23:16

where have you actually looked?

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:17

Family Search Org. Cencus

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 25 Feb 2006 23:20

they wont be on census if they didnt marry until 1913- which one did you look on

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:22

I tried to find them before they maried, found Isabella born 1885, she was a servant for another rellie, which I found shocking, but then again, maybe times were hard. I am goind to join ancestry in three weeks, may help me with a lot of questions.

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 25 Feb 2006 23:23

not with stuff after 1910, it wont help

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Feb 2006 23:25

The only place you will find births after 1913 is the GRO birth index. The images for this are free on ancestry at the moment, but it means checking every quarter of every year. You would need to look under GRAY but at least the mother's maiden name will be indexed too which will help. nell

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:27

But do you think it is worth paying for - been temptd for so long - now it is ancestry or continue saving for laser treatment - but if I cannot see what is the good of Ancestry!!!!!!!!!!! No win situation!!!!!!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 25 Feb 2006 23:27

Perhaps he went to fight in the war, have you looked for children born after 1918? Heather

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:29

I went on Family Search org, and looked twenty years ahead, and nothing.

Heather

Heather Report 25 Feb 2006 23:32

familysearch is more useful for events before 1880. You need Ancestry bmd or the 1837 site. Heather

Kate

Kate Report 25 Feb 2006 23:34

Jennifer, I have quite a few couples in my family tree who were together for decades but never seem to have had any children. Kate.

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:39

Thanks for all advice, will start a new search tomorrow with a gusto, and feel positive - thank you one and all. Jennifer.

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:52

Yea, I know, but just felt so sorry for her seperated from her family, I guess I am soft and sentimental, but I just feel each time a find a relative, they gave me my life, and my childrens lifes, just a soppy old git. That is me - Jennifer.

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 25 Feb 2006 23:59

Off to bed goodnight and God Bless Jennifer.-

Rachel

Rachel Report 26 Feb 2006 00:41

I would try familyrelatives and look for children with dad's surname and mum's maiden name. they have fully transcribed the index from 1866 to 1920. www.familyrelatives.org if you put LC2005 in the promo box on the buy credit page you should beable to get 10 free credits. leave the password blank.

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 26 Feb 2006 11:13

Thanks for that, will do.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Feb 2006 11:19

Just to tempt you into the Family Rellies site (as described above), I did a search on there for Gray births with mum's maiden name Diston, and there were three matches 1912-1920. I didn't view them, because you can do that for nothing with your free units!! Just to let you know it IS worth doing!!! Merry