Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I HATE my GR Tree.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:01

Please tell me I am being dim.......help required in a mo, below.....Merry x

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Feb 2006 11:05

no wonder you hate it , you have disappeared

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:10

I have had the same GR tree on here for two years......I have never made any changes to it since I uploaded by gedcom at that time. This morning I decided to sort out the living people I have on the tree. It was my intention to change their names to Living XYZ and leave them on there in case the surname meant something to someone...... 1) Did my two children......No problem 2) Moved on to my cousins children. Decided I should do the children, their parents, and the husband's parents, as I have no idea whether they are alive or not. OK with the children and my cousin...... But cannot change my cousin's husband to Living XYZ because I know nothing about him!! I have no idea where he was born and of course I have to guess. I would be happy to guess England and a year but I cannot bring myself to say which county and town he was born in when I have no idea. So, I decided to remove these people instead. Removed the cousins children. Can't seem to get the cousin or her hubby to go........It won't let me GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I am SO frustrated with it. (only a few more twigs to go after this one, as living people are only on my tree in a few cases.............) Merry (feeling 141¼)

Joy

Joy Report 28 Feb 2006 11:11

...... those men in white coats again, Merry? :-)

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:14

Oooooh, I hope so Joy!! Val! LOL Merry

Joy

Joy Report 28 Feb 2006 11:17

Edited: You could ask GR to sort it.........

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 28 Feb 2006 11:20

I had a similar problem on my tree a while back. There was a partner that wasn't supposed to be there. He had no parents or children to the person he was linked with but it kept telling me he couldn't be removed because of children or something. I left it at the time but I've since been able to remove the blighter. Must have been a glitch in the system at the time. Gypsy Joe

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:27

Oh, OK, Lets blame GR for my rising blood pressure! I'll construct a list of those living peeps so I can see how many are going to frustrate me! Merry (PS - hubby never listens to me when I mention people moaning about GR.....he says ''Hmmmmm'' with a blank look.....BUT Yesterday he took his tree off GR and uploaded a new one......WELL!! You have NEVER heard such Whinging in your life!!!! LOL......Nothing works.....why is Bristol in Avon?? .....why isn't there a country to put St Helena in?? Why, why , why??????? LOL!)

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 28 Feb 2006 11:32

I am getting cheesed off with it as well.I can't tidy it up and move people out or put them in the right place......Newish at it..I have somehow got a whole generation duplicated and can't delate them,, because they won't let me........

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 Feb 2006 11:38

if this sounds daft then dont listen but I remember someone on here a while back saying if you change their names you can delete them because then they dont belong to anyone , worth a try ????

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 28 Feb 2006 11:42

Tried that. doesn't work.......Still won't delete...

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:42

If I change their names, they are still joined to their rellies though, aren't they?? Merry

BrianW

BrianW Report 28 Feb 2006 11:43

It was me that put that tip up. If you have two names the same in your tree you can't delete either. So: if you have anonymised an aunt and a cousin both to Living Jones, you won't be able to delete either. The program is unable to distinguish which one to delete. Change one to Unwanted Jones and try again. Persons to delete must only have one link to another, though.

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:44

Oops. Hubby having a breakdown over his tree as we speak!! I keep saying,......''Yes, that's what I've been telling you all this time''!!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:44

Ooh, Ta Brian

Merry

Merry Report 28 Feb 2006 11:49

When it says I can't delete someone because they are joined to more than one person....what do I do?? The person I want to delete is joined to his wife (I want her to stay) and joined to his parents (I want them deleted too. They are joined to their son and to each other, but that's all) Merry (Hot and Bothered)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Feb 2006 11:50

I am so pleased I haven't added to my tree on here!

BrianW

BrianW Report 28 Feb 2006 11:51

Delete the parents then their son.

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 28 Feb 2006 12:05

What if the parents are attatcher to their parents, you can't delete that either..........I am going down the same path as Merry, with my husband. 'i told you ' .. ....He writes computer software.......

BrianW

BrianW Report 28 Feb 2006 12:12

If the parent have parents then you have to start at the top of that branch and work down.