Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opinion please about 1837 online

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 12:30

I am upset that I Ancestry is witholding access to freebmd How much does it cost to view the images please Thankyou

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2006 12:32

Not sure what you mean. You can see the images free on ancestry. 1837 charges so many units a search and you buy them in multiples of £5 I think. nell

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 12:32

When did ancestry start withholding BMDs? Do you mean they don't have the page number anymore on the free bmd bit?

Heather

Heather Report 11 Mar 2006 12:32

Hannah You can use the freebmd site, just enter freebmd into google and you'll find it. Heather

Tina-Marie

Tina-Marie Report 11 Mar 2006 12:40

Before I had an idea of what I was doing I paid for 1837 bmd. After realising Ancestry was cheaper, I thought I had wasted my money, but this is now not the case - I use 1837 for BMD research as it seems so much faster and more organized. Tina

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 12:43

I don't want to sound like a Catherine Tate character but 1837 are cheeky,robbing b******s Duping people into paying £50 for a years subscription and making them promise not to do more than 300 look ups a month and no 3rd part look ups,when they obviously knew ancestry were going to put all the GRO indexes on for free.

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 12:45

I cannot find any page numbers so you cannot find the spouse in a marriage.Ihave tried freebmd but sometimes they don't have the marriage and Ancestry does

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 12:47

Once it's given you the quarter,look up on the beta index for the page number,then try free bmd just put in the quarter,year vol and page -no names

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 12:49

I wonder if 1837online have more info than Ancestry.I seem to be undecided as some seem to approve and some disapprove.But can you understand how frustrating it is not to be able to find a spouse in a marriage??

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 12:52

I know when the marriage isn't on freebmd so there would be no use searching for it.And I know it Maybe on Ancestry.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 12:52

As far as I know the GRO indexes on 1837 and Ancestry are identical,but both occasionally seem to have a page missing,unless the search doesn't offer it for some reason. I don't think I've had the marriage problem of finding one and not the other,unless its pre 1837 THAT marriage might not be on Free bmd,but others on the page quite possibly are,so when you find it on Ancestry,look on Beta for the page number and enter just that into free bmd Tell me what you are looking for and I'll see if 'fresh-eyes' help

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 12:56

Andrea I will try that I never thought of doing that Thankyou all for your input

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 13:06

I am looking for a marriage of Henry Edward Smith about 1876 to Agnes.He later married a Susannah.I believe they were marriedin Sussex Reg district Uckfield or Hailsham Thankyou

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 13:13

Andrea I couldn't find it.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 13:15

I don't think Ancestry is your problem,I think it's the name Henry Smith!!!!! I think it'd be a lot less stressful to buy their child's birth cert for Agnes's maiden name!!!

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 13:21

Thankyou Andrea.Thereis apossible marriage 1876 Uckfield for Henry Edward Smith.I am going to go to1837 online.Thankyou everyone.Love Hannah

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 13:21

Good Luck !

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 13:24

Thankyou Andrea.Thereis apossible marriage 1876 Uckfield for Henry Edward Smith.I am going to go to1837 online.Thankyou everyone.Love Hannah

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 11 Mar 2006 13:25

I put in a couple of names as a trial run and got nothing OH dear!!

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Mar 2006 13:38

What year and quarter have you got for the Uckfield one?