Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAO SUSAN DAVIES- Help re your tree.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 12:18

Susan,as explained I'll print out on here all i can to help with regards your tree-put any queries on here,and others new to the game might be able to pick up a few pointers or methods. Please dont post on here unless you are Susan-thanks,not until she has evrything sorted and printed off anyway.

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 12:33

1) At first glance there are a lot of people on your tree that arestill living.The adults need to give their permission. 2)You need to judge how reliable your information is -if it has been gleaned from grandparents-some info might be hazy,confused or simply innacurate-CHECK EVERYTHING before you commit it to the tree. 3)Knowing something about how the family moved about ,say through work or marriage may enable you to fill in certain gaps about birthplaces-say for instance you have details of the first born child,and fourth,and they were born the same area,its very probable 2 and 3 were. 4)You have over 170 people in your tree but details are thin on the ground you are best starting with the present and working back STEADILY through each generation,concentrating on one bloodline at first,then you can branch out.Its all about quality rather than trying to accrue as many members to the tree as possible. 5)Thoroughness is everything especially with common surnames-occupations,small details can mean a lot. 6)Photos,and anything written on the back can help ,old certs,employment records,keep in a folder. 7)Websites that i use>>>>>>> Ancestry=bmd and CENSUS 1837= references for certs and helpful for narrowing down age range for those with unusual names familia= lists counties and their records offices-some librarians do look ups. Free bmd= exactly that-put in a wide range to see a summarised list of possibles to match with. When going further back check out any OPC sites (online parish clerks) do do with a specific county. Also try this site-it is a good link to others its called= free databases for genealogical learning KEEP THESE SITES AS BOOK MARKS ON A SPECIAL FAMILY HISTORY TAB

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 13:17

THE DAVIES LINE: You have come to an abrupt stop with John /Jack Davies born 1890. At least you know his date of birth-Seacombe mentioned as a birthplace is classed as the Wirral,but it was once classed as part of Cheshire- consequently church records for baptisms deaths and marriages are kept in Chester Archives in Duke Street Archives & Local Studies Service Cheshire Record Office Duke Street Chester Cheshire CH1 1RL Tel: 01244 602574 Fax: 01244 603812 Email: [email protected] Contact: You will need a registration card to view documents,and book a table-the resident archivist is very helpful.They have lots of microfilm and microfiche viewers-this facilty enabled me to record evry single baptism ,and see the entry-of all my seacombe Davies family-all 21 of them-but it is time consuming. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Another avenue is to acertain as to where he was living-Wallasey Library have all the electoral roll books from 1900 at least-he would have been a registered voter before the first world war. However you are best finding out his parents first by obtaining his birth cert from Southport GRO(General registry Office)-this can be done online. You will also need to use the 1837 site,obtain a few credits etc to get reference numbers..........on this occcasion I will find him for you. Now you look on 1837 site-john Davies-December Quarter -covers october november december births-your relative was born october. there are 2 possibles unfortunately,but if you quote the birthday they will sort which one is correct. references are>>>>OND 1890 8a 393 Chester OND 1890 8a 363 Chester the certificate will then give you the next generation line etc. ____________________________________________________ Now lets look for him on the cencus>>>>>>>>> there is one john davies aged one year old in seacombe in the 1891 census ,son of a bootmaker,he is the youngest of about 4 children-this is possibly him,but it is not for certain. THIS IS WHERE MISTAKES CAN BE MADE because he is the only one with seacombe,it is very tempting to claim him as yours,but only the certificate with confirm,with the parents names etc.(also occupations help a great deal) Davies being a common name can get you into trouble. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The more accurate the information from the most recent generations the better,otherwise you could end up going off and claiming a whole bloodline that isnt yours.

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 14:10

THE PARRY FAMILY: 47,The moors,ellesmere ,shropshire 1901 census William 39 Martha wife 40 Elizabeth ann 9 Thomas edward 6 alfred 2 as you can see bit different to your tree-now we have rough dates to go by for their births and hopefully Free bmd will get us some cert refs. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William parry married Martha HALL Sep Quarter 1890 6a 1257 Ellesmere Shropshire.MARRIAGE CERT***** ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ elizabeth ann parry= sep 1891 ellesmere 6a 677 BIRTH CERT thomas edward parry=sep 1894 ellesmere 6a 649 BIRTH CERT alfred parry=sep 1898 ellesmere 6a 692 BIRTH CERT parents- wiliam-choice of 4 -more details needed (from marriage cert) martha hall=sep 1860 ellesmere 6a 639 NB the births at the same time of year-is very common. ______________________________________________________

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 19:18

ttt

The Ego

The Ego Report 24 Mar 2006 20:34

ttt

Susan

Susan Report 25 Mar 2006 17:41

What an angel you are you are right about jumping all over the tree but when your mum is giving info I have to put it down as my nan did the same nows she has gone Im regretting not have put it all down I appreciate any help and you have give me some sound advice Any learners like me MY ADVICE DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP IF YOU ASK Thanks Alter Ego Best wishes Sue PS MY gran up there Ethel Davies is asking me to ask you to help me look into Emma Judson her mother Her mother died when my gran was very young and I know my gran wants me to put flowers on her mums grave tomorrow know it sounds daft but I went to Hanmer and thats how I fely except we dont know where her grave is any ideas where I ask thanks so much sue and her relations!!!

The Ego

The Ego Report 25 Mar 2006 18:06

sue -that part re Emma Judson is unclear-how is she called judson but her siblings are called butler?Also- the only emma judson I can find marrying at that time is in yorkshire.??

The Ego

The Ego Report 25 Mar 2006 18:19

EMMA JUDSON *** this lady in your tree was not born in Wales she was born Sep.Quarter 1882 Ellesmere 6a 710>>>>>BIRTH CERT will get you the info you need re parents. she doesnt show up later- can you clarify this name etc .

The Ego

The Ego Report 25 Mar 2006 18:51

THE BUTLER FAMILY dates dont tally with any census,and suspect word of mouth lacks accuracy- cant find the kids and the name is common. Problem of course is the english/welsh border etc.

Susan

Susan Report 25 Mar 2006 22:51

Im so sorry ok My gran ethel williams her mum and dad were emma judson and tom williams emma died I think about the age of 35 my gran ethel was only a tot she died as a result of a fire she had been ill put goose fat on her fell with the candle and she went up she died aprox 3 weeks later thats what ive been told so eliza was with george where as ann married whilst having the butler children so emma was a judson sorry so complicated thanks sue

The Ego

The Ego Report 26 Mar 2006 11:49

Queries- re WILLIAMS FAMILY Percy-was he Percy Eric Williams- we need middle names where possible-williams is a very common name-and his birth might be just outside the last census. FINALLY FOUND MARRIAGE Emma judson married Thomas williams Ellesmere 6a 710 dec.quarter 1905 MARRIAGE CERT **** this makes the childrens births wrong perhaps except ethel.

The Ego

The Ego Report 26 Mar 2006 12:14

YOUR GRANDFATHER GEORGE DAVIES Birth Cert details =George H. Davies june Quarter 1920 Bhead 8a 1165

The Ego

The Ego Report 26 Mar 2006 12:18

Susan-before I go any further can you tidy up your tree with the changes-ie Wallasey isntin scotland,additional marriage dates info-its worth putting in the cert references in the details section for future use if needed. Also go through the women ensuring only maiden/birth surnames are inserted in the box-it starts to look like siblings are marrying each other !! ref Jack davies 1921 as an example. Also the emma judson thing is not clear on your tree-that ann you talk about isnt on the tree.

The Ego

The Ego Report 26 Mar 2006 14:02

NOTE : when doing any ancestry searches,bmd's and census come under 4 possible counties-CHESHIRE,FLINTSHIRE,SHROPSHIRE,and DENBIGHSHIRE

Susan

Susan Report 27 Mar 2006 11:25

thanks will do got a few probs this end at min will do asap thanks sue

Susan

Susan Report 27 Mar 2006 16:32

bump

Susan

Susan Report 28 Mar 2006 21:22

Im sat at computer but my eyes are shutting its not even 9.30

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Mar 2006 21:34

thats having kids no doubt-do you want me to guide you through anything in the next hour?

William

William Report 28 Mar 2006 22:31

This is the bottom line on Emma Judson.She is listed as Butler incorrectly in the 1891 Census,at the home of George Butler and Elisa Nee Judson.She is listed as 8 years old.George and Eliza did not marry until 1884,therefore Eliza had Emma before she was married.In the 1901 Census Emma is listed as a Servant,with her correct name and year of birth.Susan I thought I had gone through all this with you before. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham