Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrr!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 13:36

Would Scottish ancestors please STAY in Scotland!!! I have just spent ages faffing about with Scotland's people.....When I couldn't find the rellies as they got older, in 1891 and 1901, I spent an age looking for their deaths, to no avail. Now I've just found these Aberdeenshire people living in flippin' Poplar in 1891 and 1901!! Grrrrrr!!!! So now their death certs will not have all that useful Scottish stuff on them......and they even crossed the boarder to get married in 1864 (Newcastle-u-T).....so no lovely Scottish marriage record either.............Ggggr! Merry (PS.... TIP.....never have rellies who are involved with BOATS.....I have loads and they don't keep still)

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 31 Mar 2006 13:43

Sorry, on behalf of all Scots, we get about.....

Horatia

Horatia Report 31 Mar 2006 13:46

Hi Merry, I come from Poplar! Sorry that your Scottish rellies decided to become Eastenders! (Tee-Hee) ;-) Cheers, Horatia

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 31 Mar 2006 13:48

You are lucky you have got somewhere. My relly married in Stepney 1834 and aint been seen since - seemed to avoid all the censuses by being on a BOAT somewhere and family rumoured that he could have come from Scotland but where ??? Scot people show so many possibles and I dunno which is which cos I dont know his proper age - marriage cert shows FULL - all part of the Fun, Fun, fun ................ cant even find his death which would show something .... err .... possibly.

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 13:57

Maybe yours are still alive from 1834, Joe??? I think it was probably warmer in Poplar than Aberdeen? Merry

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 31 Mar 2006 14:00

ABERDEEN !! you trying to tell me something ? My lot aint got the stamina to live that long - though porridge may do the trick !

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Mar 2006 14:06

Well my lot were born in England but claim Scottish births,Berwick on Tweed,definately still English for the time in question,and one of them a master mariner. He never appears on a census from youth till he retires,i often wonder how he had a family or how he found the rest of them with a migration of 300+ miles,and three counties within 3 census nights. The other line also moved,but much later,Norfolk to the big smoke and Lancashire,depending which train they caught. And they all appear to be teachers or railway staff. Glen

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Mar 2006 14:34

Merry most of my rellies on my fathers side were scottish and it's been great finding them on scotlands people, but then in 1902 most of them upped and left and went to Ireland (some to Canada) if your's went to Ireland then I wish you the best of luck finding them. Georgina.

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 14:40

LOL Georgina! Ireland????.....that IS worse than this lot then!!! Merry

Kate

Kate Report 31 Mar 2006 14:48

Perhaps they were trying to save you the cost of Scotland's People credits. Kate.

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 14:56

Well if they were, Kate, it didn't work, as I spent all my units looking at things that turned out not to be the right people and now I'm never going to have those lovely bits and pieces that show up in Scottish records that everyone is always going on about! I never would have thought to look for an English marriage, but for detail on the Scottish birth cert!! Merry

Louise

Louise Report 31 Mar 2006 15:01

Can I but in please? My grandfather's brother died in Scotland (or so I've been told) c1945. What extra information do you get on the death certificates there? Also his son married there so would there be additional information on the marriage certificate to what you get in England? Louise

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 15:02

I should let someone else answer, but from what I remember (!!) marriage cert shows BOTH parents inc mum's maiden name and so does someone's death cert (that's if the informant KNOWS all that info!!!) Merry

Louise

Louise Report 31 Mar 2006 15:07

Thanks Merry. I haven't got round to looking for his death yet and wondered if I might shed some light on a brickwall on that branch. Cheers, Louise

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2006 15:15

Oh Merry! I know that ggggrrrrrrr feeling so well. You find that my a miracle the parish you want is on the IGI and then you find your blinky relatives died, got born or married before or after the dates on the IGI. You find a free census on the web and realise its the one before your family moved into the village. Yes, the records office have bastardy bonds...except for the parish where your illegitimate gt grannie was born. Or you have a blinky relative with a v. common name and there are so many Robert Brownings (not the poet) that could be yours you can't choose! GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrr! nell

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Mar 2006 15:33

Louise on the early scottish death certs it gives the name & age of the deceased, cause of death, address, wifes/husbands name and both parents names if known. I havn't had one past 1930 so hopefully they are all the same no matter what year they died. Georgina.

Joy

Joy Report 31 Mar 2006 15:44

Ah, that's better, back in the L of Y!!! :-) How are you now?

Merry

Merry Report 31 Mar 2006 15:47

Hello Joy, Still coughing! Have just been reading the ''soon to self-destruct???'' General Board. Merry

Louise

Louise Report 31 Mar 2006 15:48

Thanks Georgina for that information. Shame a few other relatives couldn't have passed over in Scotland as it would be a big help! Louise

Louise

Louise Report 31 Mar 2006 15:58

Joy Being nosey I know but what is L of Y - I have tried to figure it out but can't (probably something really simple/obvious) Louise :-))