Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone else noticed

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 20:19

There are very few femailes in the 19th century called Victoria. You would think there would be some with the queen being Victoria at the time, i havn't seen any. Gill

Merry

Merry Report 1 Apr 2006 20:23

I agree........a few start appearing after the golden jubilee (1887) and another flurry after the 1897 jubilee..........but not that many considering...... Merry

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 20:27

Merry, It's very strange, i expected to find alot, but all i'v got are Elizabeths, Marys, Anns witha couple of Jemimas and Lavinia and a Ruth. Gill Forgot Sarah and a Phillis lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Apr 2006 21:10

Perhaps they thought it would be disrespectful, or maybe they didn't like the old bag! I'm not sure any of my or husband's relatives were named after royalty, except his grandmother's siblings, she had a brother called Victor and a sister with Victoria as a middle name. But they were both born after Queen V. died. nell

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 21:42

Hellen , I always liked the name Victoria, my first child was always going tobe Victoria, but ended up Stuart and second was really going to be Victoria but was Stephen in the end, the third i hedged my bets and said Victoria or Simon and guess what, yes it was Simon, lol Gave up after that Gill

Sharon

Sharon Report 1 Apr 2006 21:52

Got one Victoria in the late 1800's Suddenly in the late 1800's I suddenly got a good few Germanish names that seem to come from nowhere..... and they don't seem to have a link to mum, dad is driving me mad trying to trace him.

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 22:02

Hi Sharon ,it's very odd how each family has a pool of names that go through the generations, until the early 20th century when there seems to be a break with the tradition. I quite like the idea of carrying on the names, my youngest son has just had his baby named Joseph after my father, i was thrilled Gill

Helen

Helen Report 1 Apr 2006 22:25

I've mentioned this on the boards before. I was told it was a 'foreign' name, Gemanic, and was therefore disliked. But there were loads of Alberts and Berties?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 1 Apr 2006 22:38

All the Carolines, Amelias, Fredericks etc are named after her aunts, uncles & earlier members of her family, but you are right. Very few Victorias. Certainly none in my family. But my Edmund Albert Skillings was born in 1840, so his mother was clearly being ultra fashionable.

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 22:40

Helen, you'v told me something i didn't know, i know she had a German father but for some reason i always thought Victoria was English.( the name i mean). Gill

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 1 Apr 2006 22:46

Phoeenix and Helen is Albert English or German. I know Albert was German (her husband) but again Albert seems such an English name. Gill

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 1 Apr 2006 23:28

I've got one poor lass connected to my tree who was christened Victoria Diamond Jubilee Jobling. Guess what year she was born! Not content with that, she married a man named Albert! I did consider calling my own children Victoria and Albert - but then I went and married a man with the surname Hall. Tina

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 2 Apr 2006 09:34

I think GR should offer a prize to the first member to find a Tracey, Kevin or Wayne on a Victorian census.

Zoe

Zoe Report 2 Apr 2006 09:42

1851 census Samuel Wayne Cooper abt 1840 Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England Son Chesterfield Derbyshire Wayne O Dale abt 1844 Willenhall, Staffordshire, England Daughter Willenhall Staffordshire Wayne Schlott abt 1841 Walworth Daughter Lambeth Surrey John Wayne Weatherspoon abt 1849 Liverpool Grandson Toxteth John Wayne Wood abt 1827 West Yorkshire, Lepton Son Lepton Yorkshire 1861 census Kevin C Allen abt 1828 Westminster, St Mary le Strand Wife Paddington Middlesex Kevin Bosings abt 1843 Stepney, Middlesex, England Servant Poplar Middlesex Kevin Cross abt 1793 Marylebone Lodger St Luke Middlesex Kevin Ekers abt 1815 Hampshire, England Wife Holborn St Andrew Middlesex Kevin H Gray abt 1824 Stanstead, Essex, England Wife Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire Kevin Hobbs abt 1788 Rudge, Wiltshire, England Wife Froxfield Wiltshire Kevin Percy abt 1834 Wootton, Northamptonshire, England Laundry Maid Northampton St Andrew Northamptonshire far too many Tracey/Tracy to put up in all the census **just notcied - most of the Kevin's appear to be women***

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2006 09:43

Although Victoria wasn't common, Queenie was later on and I always imagined that was a sort of tribute? Paul, I have a Tracey born in 1780 Oxfordshire who was still alive in 1851. What do I win:? ))

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 2 Apr 2006 09:46

Zoe and David, we all win the prize for being the saddest people on this thread!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2006 09:48

lol Paul

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 2 Apr 2006 09:52

I have got a Victoria Jubilee !!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Apr 2006 12:55

Sandra, I've got a Jubilee Albert to go with your Victoria Jubilee .

Sandra B

Sandra B Report 2 Apr 2006 14:36

Sharon, thanks, there can't be many of them.........Mine was Victoria Jubilee Rose Jeary,born 1888.