Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 - can YOU find them? NO, because the area is

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 22 Apr 2006 15:15

Nooo, nor can I! Merry

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:15

1851 HO107/1536 89 p.1 100 Hoxton Old Town, Shoreditch Middlesex Priscilla Robins abt 1804 St Luke, Middlesex, Head married 49 brokeress John Robins abt 1829 St Luke, Son unm. 22 paperstainer Jane Robins abt 1830 St Luke, , Daur 21 unm. flower maker Caroline Robins abt 1833 St Luke, Daur 18 unm. flower maker [seems to be Emily in later censuses] Reuben Robins abt 1839 St Luke, Son 12 scholar Harriet Robins abt 1843 St Luke, Daur 8 Priscilla's husband was James Robins who I have never found on any census. Priscilla is a widow on 1871 census.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:16

Cos I can't!

Fiona

Fiona Report 22 Apr 2006 15:17

Found 3 of my friends families from her tree I'm doing for her. But where are mine???? Fi.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:22

Merry - haha! Fi- It's maddening! These Robins people are very elusive, and I was hoping the 1841 would provide some clues. Can't find the blinky McCarthy/Carter chap or his future wife Elizabeth Goodwin either. I am beginning to think that the info they gave on the censuses about their birthplaces was um, well, not quite true!!!

Merry

Merry Report 22 Apr 2006 15:27

I remember Priscilla had an unusual occ, didn't she?? What was it? Have you got any of the children's birth certs? Where they really born in St Luke's parish? (Esp Reuben and the girl after 1841) Trying to establish how likely it is that they are living in St Luke's parish! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 22 Apr 2006 15:28

oops, just saw the occ on your post! Merry

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Apr 2006 15:50

1841 Name: Jane Robens Age: 10 Estimated birth year: abt 1831 Gender: Female Where born: Middlesex, England Civil parish: St Leonard Shoreditch Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division) County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Source information: HO107/705/4 Registration district: Shoreditch Sub-registration district: Haggerston West ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Folio: 4 Page: 1 Line number: 18 GSU Number: 438816 Nearest I can find and she does not appear to be with other people of the same surname Maureen

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:51

Merry Apart from census info, the info I have from birth certs is NOT stuff I've seen,but was done by my husband's mother's cousins. I think its accurate though: Harriet (also spelt Harriot) was born at 30 Old Street and her father named as James Robins, broker and mother Priscilla Robins, formerly Marsden. Wish I had more info!

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:59

Glitter baby Thanks - I'd found Jane. Not sure she's the right one, but she is with people called Marsden, which was her mother Priscilla's maiden name, so its hopeful. Thank you for looking anyway:)) Just can't find the other blighters!

Edith

Edith Report 22 Apr 2006 17:07

hi. know this may be silly but, have you looked under the name bobins as one of my families are peverley and have been transcribed as beverley on several occasions. edith

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 17:15

Edith Thanks, that's not a silly suggestion. I've tried Bobins, Robins, Robbins, Robens... I've tried first names only. I'm DESPERATE. This is my husband's family - the Welsh side have been - despite distinct lack of variety in first and surnames - quite easy to find. Ditto the Jewish lot. But his mother's father's side - can't find the Robins, and also he has gt gt grandparents who are a mystery. James Carter started off as Dennis McCarthy, but I can't find a likely James or Dennis carter/McCarthy in 1841, though he says he was born in Holborn. James/Dennis' wife was Elizabeth Alice Goodwin, father's name John, she was born c. 1830, had a brother Charles b. abt 1826. Elizabeth and Charles supposedly born Long Acre, London but cannot find them or John in 1841. I think they must be living next door to the Robinses in a big hole in the ground!!!!!!!!!!! nell

Allie

Allie Report 22 Apr 2006 19:32

I can't find mine either:-(( I was hoping this would bring the brick wall tumbling...no such luck lol. Wilf x

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 22 Apr 2006 20:21

Hi Helen, 1841 is not complete yet, some of my Essex rellies are not on there and I have the 1841 discs so I know they are there. Maybe someone should start a thread of known area's on CD that are not yet available. Amanda

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 21:41

Amanda Thanks, I went back and checked on ancestry and found 668 Middlesex Parish: St Luke Townships: West Finsbury Golden-Lane Old Street Whitecross-Street are missing - precisely the area I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curses!

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 Apr 2006 21:54

Nell, I've got St Giles open, which is where Long acre may be if not it should be in St Martins in the Fields. I know the area really well ( born and bred) and willing to spend a little time going through .... which for some reason I am this evening looking at all the u/k ( four pages for St Giles) The search isn't up to much but if you can be as precise as you can as to what you think should be there I'll go through page by page( over the next few days). Have you got a street name? It's not a bother it's the area I live and I'm finding it facinating to see all these people that lived here before me.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 22:11

Sharon This is all I know about Elizabeth Goodwin: 1848 19th June she marries Dennis McCarthy at Trinity Church, Holborn. She says she is 18 [birth year of 1830 or 1829]. Address at time of marriage 12 Saffron Street, Saffron Hill. Father is John Goodwin, a waiter {job in customs] 1851 3 Peter Street, Clerkenwell (between Saffron Hill and Turnmill Street] Elizabeth McCarthy 23 b Long Acre 1861 in 5 Wellington Place, Southwark Elizabeth McCarthy wife 31 b Clerkenwell 1871 - Mile End Old Town - 5 St. Vincent Street Elizabeth Carter 40 Holborn 1881 Yattan Street, Poplar Elizabeth Carter Wife 51 Long Acre, Charles GOODWIN Boarder W 55 Long Acre, French Polisher 1891 46 Poole Street, RG12/249 162 p 15 Shoreditch, Hoxton Elizabeth Carter b 1830, Clerkenwell 1901 RG13/146 79 p.59 23 Bridgewater Street, St Pancras ward 6 Elizabeth Carter wife 72 b. Long Acre It looks like she was a bit unsure of where she was born, so don't sweat over it, but if you do stumble across any Goodwins I'd love to hear from you. Husband also has family in St Martins/Covent Garden area, but they aren't hiding and I have them on all censuses, thanks!

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 Apr 2006 22:28

Alfred Goodwin abt 1839 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record Eliza Goodwin abt 1829 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record George Goodwin abt 1835 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record Hannah Goodwin abt 1801 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record Hannah Goodwin abt 1827 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record John Goodwin abt 1831 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record Samuel Goodwin abt 1833 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex View Record Thos Goodwin abt 1801 Middlesex, England St Luke Middlesex Don't know if this is correct?? John at the age of 15 may already havegone off to seek his fortune?

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 22:54

Sharon If only! Sadly, its John who is the dad and should therefore be born c. 1800 or so, Charles the brother would be born c. 1826. Thanks anyway. nell

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 Apr 2006 23:04

I'll keep looking..... I'm jealous! Saffron Hill was Fagins ( Oliver Twist) hide out! and also mentioned in A Chirstmas Carol!