Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PAUL GRUBB-Just when you think you've got it sorte

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 14:25

See below:.. Could someone just look at my 1871 & 1881 Benhams (refs given below) & tell me if you think it's the same family. Another thing that's bizarre is that I have their marriage down as 1884............ Am really starting to think I'm barking up the wrong tree!!!!!........Thanks Sarah :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 14:25

my great grandfather was Lionel Sillett Benham (sure of that at least) He's on 1901 (RG13/2160) with brothers Oswald Marcus & Walter Edwin (that's ok too) Can't find him in 1891 but his brothers are aged 10 & 13 living with parents William H Benham and Caroline R. (born London)and an older sister Louisa C. aged 26 (RG12/1329) -never heard of her. In 1891 the father, William H lists as being born in *Bawdsey* Suffolk. He's a caretaker aged 54 In I881 Oswald & Walter (plus other sibs Lionel,Frank, Maria, Isabella) are living with W.H. Benham & Care. (which I guess is for Caroline -born Shoreditch) and William is now born in Islington Middlesex. (RG11/1710) He works for the GPO aged 44 In 1871 William H (born Islington)& Caroline (born Shoreditch) have totally different children. He's a postman aged 34 (RG10/1634) In 1861 William H is a 'letter carrier' aged 24 born in Islington living with his 2 sisters. (RG9/252) I'm suckered by the Suffolk thing.....and the 1871 thing (does this mean 2 wives called Caroline born in London???) Not sure what I'm expecting from this post but it's been good to set it out... Thanks for your patience! Sarah :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Apr 2006 14:32

1891 Name: Lionel S Bertram Age: 19 Estimated birth year: abt 1872 Relation: Boarder Gender: Male Where Born: Leystone, Essex, England Civil parish: Bideford Ecclesiastical parish: Bideford Town: Bideford County/Island: Devon Country: England Source information: RG12/1786 Registration district: Bideford Sub registration district: Bideford ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Folio: 114 Page: 3 GSU Number: 6096896 Just wondering if this is Lionel on 1891 as right place of birth and the location. Maureen Update image is Benham

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 14:37

OOh Glitter babe, THank you thank you thank you! That's him, he married in Bideford later, and he was a hairdresser! How did you do that? I tried searches with L* Benham but didn't think to do it with Lionel B* (if that's what you did,) :-)))))) sarah

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Apr 2006 14:41

Just Lionel and place of birth and that one was the only one that jumped off the page. Maureen

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 14:43

Thanks Maureen, I didn't know you could do that - you learn something new every day!! :-))) Sarah

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 15:03

anyone got any ideas for William & caroline??? Sarah:-)

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 27 Apr 2006 15:28

I'm thinking Louisa C age 26 in 1891 is the same girl as Caroline L age 6 in 1871. Perhaps he had a larf in 1871 by swapping all the names round. That would explain why it's hard to find the older kids in 1881. There's a possible Louisa with an uncle in 1881

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2006 22:18

Thanks Robin, Yes that's a possible - I've spent all afternoon on ancestry looking for & printing all my possible Benhams. Now I'm even thinking that all 1871 children died before 1881 ! I can't see how it could be a coincidence that the parents details are the same. My 'Suffolk thing' was that William gave his dad's place of birth instead of his own! This is going to take some serious sorting!! Sarah:-) ......with a frazzled brow

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 20:03

Nudge for update

Merry

Merry Report 28 Apr 2006 20:40

Nothing to do with your Benhams, but the reason the word ''Could'' is missing in your original post is that it was preceded by a few dots. GR, in it's infinite wisdom, cannot tell the difference between a normal sentence and the dreaded d o t c o m or d o t c o u k that might appear in a web address. So, GR removes all dots followed by ''c'' Great, isn't it?? Just so you know it's not you who is crazy! Merry

Paul

Paul Report 28 Apr 2006 20:45

Hi Sarah Have you ruled these guys out of 1881 ? Care. Benham abt 1838 Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Wife West Ham Essex Frank Benham abt 1874 Leytonstone, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex Isabel Benham abt 1876 Leytonstone, Essex, England Daughter West Ham Essex Lionel Benham abt 1872 Leytonstone, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex Maria Benham abt 1874 Leytonstone, Essex, England Daughter West Ham Essex Oswald Benham Plaistow, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex W.H. Benham abt 1837 Islington, Middlesex, England Head West Ham Essex Walter Benham abt 1878 West Ham, Essex, England Son West Ham Essex Sorry just reread the thread and see these are the ones ! Doh Cheers...Paul

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 20:45

Thanks Merry, I'll remember to put a space after my d o t s next time. I would never have worked that one out - thought the gremlins had got in. They've already eaten Maid Marion you know ! Sarah :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 20:53

Thanks Paul, No, they are the one's I've got for 1881 but the children are all born after 1871 & the same named parents (same year & place of birth, living same area -Leytonstone) have a whole different batch of children in 1871. W-I-E-R-D - I can't work it out unless it's a mega coincidence or all those kids died & they started again.... whichever - it's strange! Sarah :-)

Paul

Paul Report 28 Apr 2006 21:18

1841 - Shepperton St, Islington ------------------------------------------------ Betsey Benham abt 1835 Middlesex, St Mary Islington East Middlesex Elizabeth Benham abt 1801 <out of county> St Mary Islington East Middlesex George Benham abt 1840 Middlesex, St Mary Islington East Middlesex Mary Benham abt 1832 Middlesex, St Mary Islington East Middlesex William Benham abt 1837 Middlesex, St Mary Islington East Middlesex 1851 - 5 Norfolk Place ------------------------------------------------ William Benham abt 1796 Rerdeltham, Suffolk,Head Islington Middlesex Elizabeth Benham abt 1801 Kelsale, Suffolk,Wife Islington Middlesex Ellen Benham abt 1847 Islington, Middlesex,Daughter Islington Middlesex George Benham abt 1840 Islington, Middlesex,Son Islington Middlesex Mary Benham abt 1832 Clerkenwell, Middlesex,Daughter Islington Middlesex William Benham abt 1837 Islington, Middlesex,Son Islington Middlesex 1861 - 13 Landsdown Place ------------------------------------------------ Ellen L A Benham abt 1847 Hornsey, Middlesex,Sister Bethnal Green Middlesex Mary M Benham abt 1833 Finsbury, Middlesex,Sister Bethnal Green Middlesex William H Benham abt 1837 Islington, Middlesex,Head Bethnal Green Middlesex 1871 - Hallow Lane ?? ------------------------------------------------ William H Benham abt 1837 Islington, Middlesex,Head Leyton Essex Caroline Benham abt 1840 Shoreditch, Middlesex,Wife Leyton Essex Alice M Benham abt 1867 Bethnal Green, Middlesex,Daughter Leyton Essex Caroline L Benham abt 1865 Islington, Middlesex,Daughter Leyton Essex Ellen A Benham abt 1864 St Luke, Middlesex,Daughter Leyton Essex George Ernest Benham abt 1868 Bethnal Green, Middlesex,Son Leyton Essex Haley W Benham abt 1870 Bethnal Green, Middlesex,Son Leyton Essex 1881 - 77 Howards Rd ------------------------------------------------ W.H. Benham abt 1837 Islington, Middlesex,Head West Ham Essex Care. Benham abt 1838 Shoreditch, Middlesex,Wife West Ham Essex Frank Benham abt 1874 Leytonstone, Essex,Son West Ham Essex Isabel Benham abt 1876 Leytonstone, Essex,Daughter West Ham Essex Lionel Benham abt 1872 Leytonstone, Essex,Son West Ham Essex Maria Benham abt 1874 Leytonstone, Essex,Daughter West Ham Essex Oswald Benham Plaistow, Essex,Son West Ham Essex Walter Benham abt 1878 West Ham, Essex,Son West Ham Essex 1891 - 41 Plaistow Grove?? ------------------------------------------------ William H Benham abt 1837 Bawdsey, Suffolk,Head West Ham Essex Caroline R Benham abt 1842 London,Wife West Ham Essex Louisa C Benham abt 1865 Stoke Newington, London,Daughter West Ham Essex Oswald M Benham abt 1881 West Ham, Essex,Son West Ham Essex Walter E Benham abt 1878 West Ham, Essex,Son West Ham Essex 1898 - Death Record ------------------------------------------------ Caroline Rebecca Benham abt 1837 1898 Oct-Nov-Dec West Ham Essex, Greater London 1901 - Plaistow Grove ------------------------------------------------ William Benham abt 1837 Bawdsey, Suffolk,Head West Ham Essex Leonard Benham abt 1894 West Ham, Essex,Grandson West Ham Essex Louisa Benham abt 1869 Stoke Newington, London,Daughter West Ham Essex

Paul

Paul Report 28 Apr 2006 21:19

Hi Sarah See above (I ran out of space). If this is William back to 1841, then it looks like his parents were from Suffolk - although his father doesnt appear to be on the 1841 Census. There is another William Benham b.1835 from Suffolk that appears on the census - but I think you could rule him out - as he spendhis entire life in Suffolk. HTH ... Paul

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 21:30

Thanks Paul, those are the records I have (didn't have Caroline's death though - thanks for that) What is your gut feeling about the differences between 1871 & 1881 - do you think it's the same family? What could've happened to all 1871 children (Caroline 6, Alice 4, George 3 & Harry 1)?? Robin suggested that Caroline L aged 6 in 1871 may be the Louisa C aged 26 in 1891 - but that kind of suggests that it IS the same family because Walter & Marcus are with them in 1891. I've even started looking for the children's deaths... :-(( Sarah by the way - whats HTH??

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 21:58

nudge for Paul Are you still with us? Sarah ;-)

Paul

Paul Report 28 Apr 2006 22:48

Hi Sarah Sorry - went off for a bite to eat :) To start with I would personally (for the time being) disregard the 1881 entry - I do think it is them, but the image is so unclear and the transcription so bad - it could sent you off in all directions. I would compare 1871 to 1891. I have to agree that Caroline L and Louisa C are probably the same person. As to what happend to the other children well in by 1891 they are either married - or sadly dead. Other than ordering some certs - I would look for the girls in 1891 and look for some corresponding marriages. Once you have this info, I would compare this to the 1881 image to see if you can make any sense of it. HTH (Hope This Helps) ... Paul

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 22:59

Thanks Paul, Just though I'd have a quick look again before I went to bed (we're an hour ahead here). & found you back with a full tummy & lots of thoughts ! I'll get onto trawling for deaths again tomorrow then ( :-(( in 1881 the children should have been 17, 16, 14, 13 & 11 - poor little mites! but I think I may have Ellen as a servant (aged 17) in 1881 so maybe she made it & Caroline/Louisa is on 1891 so that's just (!) the 3 little ones.. it's a sad old hobby sometimes isn't it? Thanks for all your help Sarah :-)