Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange/Unusual Names that you have found?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ang

Ang Report 28 Apr 2006 18:29

back in a mo..

Ang

Ang Report 28 Apr 2006 18:32

Thought this might be an interesting topic to cover! Today I found a young man by the name of 'Lucky Day' The census form does look like Lucky. I think that is quite nice actually. Also found 'Lice Oakes' I am sure that should be Alice. Anybody else got anything interesting?

Julia

Julia Report 28 Apr 2006 18:35

I have a Tryphena in my family. I have never heard of that name before. Julia

Merry

Merry Report 28 Apr 2006 18:38

Some names just conjure up a picture, don't they? My favourite from my own tree is ''Pathenah Barefoot''. In my mind she looks like a Native North American of the ''cowboys and indians'' type, with hair in two long dark braids, a band round her head with a feather at the back and clothes made from beige suede with fringing......... I have to keep reminding myself she was the wife of an Oxfordshire farm labourer in the late 18th century, and, I'm sure, looked nothing like my imaginary image! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 28 Apr 2006 18:40

We have a Doca/ Docey, spelling varies. Possibly short for Theodosia. Heather

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 28 Apr 2006 18:44

I have one that I just discovered today: Penelope Millesess Suffham just seems like a very posh name (none of mine were though - that's what makes it stand out) but I only have a marriage for her in 1792, can't find a birth//baptism.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Apr 2006 18:48

Julia I've come across a few Tryphenas in old records. I think Thomas Hardy had one in his family. I have a very distant ancestor called Sylvester Emms, who had a daughter called Parthenia. My Norfolk grandfather was called Jeuel Jabez Gray - his mother chose Biblical names for nearly all her children (she had 10). And I have a gtgtgrandfather called Emmets Matthews. I recently found out that Emmets was his grandmother's maiden name. nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Apr 2006 19:10

Not in my tree but ones I've found when helping with a one name study:- Posthumous Armuless / Harmules Both men Gwyn

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 28 Apr 2006 19:13

I have been looking for someone else and have come across a Dayhappy on the 1841. She never reached the 1851.

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Apr 2006 19:48

Someone was looking for a cornish girl called Loveday Knott the other day. I have a Parson Baker My M Grandad was Seymour (I think that's lovely) my P Gran was called Queenie and she married Richard King yes.... Queenie King (but she was always called Peggy for some reason (can't think why?????!!!) & I have a few generations of Barnabus & my favourite yet - well the surname anyway - is Susanna Tickle born about 1745 in Devon Sarah :-))

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 28 Apr 2006 19:55

One of my great aunt's was a barmaid. She married a pub landlord. Her name was Rose Trollope and her mother's name Julia Lusty. Now Rosie Lusty Trollope the bar maid.... Even my daughter who is not usually interested in family history was impressed. I also have twins Noah and Pharoah not many biblical names rhyme. They were coalminers.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Apr 2006 19:57

I have. Valentine Sanderson and Happy. Karen.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Apr 2006 20:05

My hubby has a Harmonious (male) in his tree. It was mistranscribed in the census as Hormones! Margaret

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2006 20:08

In my tree........Ferbinia..........not a mistran...........a given name. On the board earlier today.......two named Happy. Reg

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 28 Apr 2006 20:13

Elcie Tongue is a slightly unusual name, but can anybody make out the names of the brother and sister living next door to her in 1901! How could they sleep at night? Look them up on the same page as Elcie ... Name: Elcie Tongue Age: 3 Estimated birth year: abt 1898 Relation: Granddaughter Where born: Hurst, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Hurst Ecclesiastical parish: Ashton under Lyme St James County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Source information: RG13/3800 Registration district: Ashton-under-Lyne Sub-registration district: Mossley ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Folio: 36 Page: 6 Household schedule number: 38

Netti

Netti Report 28 Apr 2006 20:13

the sister of one of my gtgtgt grandfather's was baptised.........Henrietta Healthy Jane (wonder if she was?) netti

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2006 20:27

Paul. The best chuckle I've had today..........thanks for bringing it to our notice......... Reg

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 28 Apr 2006 20:38

What about, Rabbi Rudolphus Manafish Joshua Boswell. What a mouthfull it must have been at his baptism! Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Apr 2006 20:45

I have nothing too weird, but swear gggggrandmother Bathsheba Middleditch must have been a Hobbit with a name like that. (Apologies to anyone who hasnt read the books) Bev x

Helen

Helen Report 28 Apr 2006 21:14

I'm saying no more than RG11 4663 15 29 House No 21 father and son And I also know that the grandfather had the same unfortunate name.