Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can Anyone Spare A Min?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 21:38

hi all im in the process of trying to find out about my Welsh granddad and his family. Does anyone know if the surname Anderson is Scottish? Apparently my g grandmother (Rebecca Anderson) was from Scotland, but i don't know how i can confirm this. Also on the 1901 wales census i have found two Bertie Bevans (Rebecca's husband) which have apprx birth yrs as 1894 and 1895. i have no clue to figure out just which one is my rellie! Just one more thing, i know that Rebecca and Bertie had at least three children, Bertie Bevan 1914 (my granddad) and Bob (possibly Robert?) and Margaret. I am trying to find out any info on any of these siblings but am drawing a blank on searching the ancestry bmd page by page. Does anyone have anyway of searching the family history site? i heard that you can be more specific with your searches. thanks for your time

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 21:41

These are all the births recorded from 1911 Q3 through to 1920. This is from Family Relatives: No Surname Forename1 Forename2 Forename3 Mothers maiden name District Page No Event Quarter Year 1 Bevan Bertie Anderson Swansea.11a 2481 Birth 2 1914 2 Bevan Della M Anderson Cardiff.11a 778 Birth 1 1917 3 Bevan Lilian Anderson Pontypridd.11a 1320 Birth 2 1914 4 Bevan Olwen Anderson Pontypridd.11a 958 Birth 4 1917 5 Bevan William J Anderson Swansea.11a 2323 Birth 4 1912 Merry

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 21:42

Cor, a lot of info there! Erm, firstly Bertie Bevan - is that in Wales? Do you have his marriage certificate? If you had that you could see what his fathers name and occupation was and hopefully that would sort out which one is yours by looking on the census after they were born . Just seen Merrys info, only one Bertie which may indicate the right area to be looking in?

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 21:43

Looking at the dates, those births must come from more than one couple! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 21:44

Or one father with a fast bike Merry.

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 21:45

LOL Heather! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 21:46

So Liz, do you have Bertie and Rebeccas marriage cert?

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 21:48

Thanks Merry, is the family history records complete? If so then the siblings i am looking for must have been born outside those yrs? (the first you listed was my gdad) Or have different mothers maybe? that would be strange as my gdads bro looked alot like him! As for trying to pinpoint Bertie snr, i can't look any further on the census because you can't get 1911! so i am still stuck at that point.

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 21:51

If you don't have the marriage cert then have you got your granddad's birth cert (1914?)....I can't find a marriage for Bertie senior to Rebecca and wondered if Bertie had another more official name (like Albert or Bertram etc).....would also confirm whether Rebecca had any other names too. Merry

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 21:52

no, i couldnt find the index no for the marriage, ill have a look for the yrs i searched. im sure they would have been married shortly before my gdads birth because i believe he was the oldest.

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 21:53

yes i have my gdads birth and marriage cert and both state his father as being a Bertie Bevan

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 21:55

I thought this guy would be too young, but I guess, young but not impossible to be the father - you do need to find that marriage to see if dad is David. Assuming that is, that son Bertie married and stayed in Swansea with Rebecca AND Merrys info would suggest he did. View Record Bertie Bevan abt 1895 Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Son Swansea Glamorgan View Record Cleveland Bevan abt 1893 Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Son Swansea Glamorgan View Record Dd Bevan abt 1854 Gower, Glamorgan, Wales Head Swansea Glamorgan View Record Dw J Bevan abt 1889 Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Son Swansea Glamorgan View Record Eliz Bevan abt 1864 Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Wife Swansea Glamorgan View Record Sidney J Bevan abt 1892 Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales Son Swansea Glamorgan View Record Martin Lassen abt 1854 Denmark Boarder Swansea Glamorgan View Record Frank Mouse abt 1851 Germany Boarder Swansea Glamorgan View Record John Tempson abt 1874 Barrow in Furness Boarder Swansea Glamorgan

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 21:59

and the birth cert names Rebecca Anderson with no other names? Merry

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 22:03

yep the birth cert states father Bertie Bevan and mother Rebecca Anderson btw thanks for the help so far!! i really want to get further on this side of the family as it means alot to my mum.

Heather

Heather Report 4 May 2006 22:05

I cant find a marriage on familyrellies. On the birth cert it doesnt say Rebecca Bevan formerly Anderson?

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 22:08

ive just had a look and yes it does say bevan formerly anderson, sorry for any confusion!

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 22:11

Do you know when Bob (Robert) and Margaret died?? And do you know Margaret's married surname (if she married?) Merry

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 22:16

unfortunately i don't know alot about either of them. Bob i know was a sailor in the Marines, i have photos from abt 1944 to my gdad. He does look quite youthful in these so maybe he was young when he joined. i dont know anything on Margaret, apart from the fact that i have a photo of Bertie snr to her from 1939. But this prob dont help much!

Merry

Merry Report 4 May 2006 22:23

No! I was hoping you were going to say.....''Bob died in 2000 and Margaret was Mrs Sidebottom and died in Swansea in the 1980's''......then I would have looked up their death regs, which would have given their dobs!! Maybe they were born later (after 1920) and the large gap between might be because Bertie was away fighting in WW1?? None of which accounts for the missing marriage?? What did Bertie do for a living? Could he have gone to Scotland to marry (perhaps Rebecca's family wanted to give him the onceover?? LOL) Merry

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 4 May 2006 22:28

LOL sorry to disapoint you Merry!!! Well on my gdads birth cert Bertie snr was a rag and bone collector and on the marriage cert he was a artificial flower maker! he could have gone up to scotland, how do i get info on this? btw the pic i have of Bertie snr is of him in uniform so it would fit he did fight in the war!