Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANCESTRY PROBLEM? IT'S SORTED NOW!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2006 15:53

Is anyone else having problems with Ancestry's births, marriages and deaths? I'm getting 'your search has returned no matches' for every search I try to do. Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2006 15:59

The system has been altered.......the only way to locate info is to scroll down below the search box, click on the year, then the quarter, and finally, the initial. Such a rigmarole...........the results are all the images for the letter,for the quarter, and you have to try to find the correct name, on a hit and miss basis............very similar to viewing the images on freebmd............... Reg

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 May 2006 15:59

I get the same on the, Search the complete images, but the, partial FreeBMD indexes, 1837-1983, is working Roy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2006 16:02

Thanks Reg and Roy. Why do they have to make changes that are NOT improvements? Kath. x

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 May 2006 16:02

Kathleen, Reggie, I do wish they would stop messing with the system, they seem to change something every week, then we have to spend hours trying to figure things out. Roy

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 May 2006 16:06

Oh blast and botheration!! Maybe that's why I can't find my Mary Ann. Just spent I don't know how long going round in circles. Grrrrrrr! Whose stupid idea was it to start doing my Family Tree? I will know when to record their death, cos I'll be the cause of it at this rate!!!!!! Sorry. Rant over. I'm perfectly calm and rational really......I think!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2006 16:09

I have just e-mailed Ancestry expressing my objections to the change..........perhaps if enough people would do the same, they would take some notice. Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2006 16:15

Andrea, It was your Mary Ann that I was trying to find, Sorry - seems Ancestry don't want her to be found. Reg, I've just tried to contact Ancestry, but I don't think my message went through. Kept coming up with a box to start a new account. Not sure what I was supposed to do. Kath. x

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 May 2006 16:20

Kathleen. Thanks anyway. Will start again tomorrow when I've got more patience. I'm all out of it for today!! Thanks again.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2006 16:23

The 'start new account' section only comes up if you haven't entered your Ancestry user number in the appropriate box........ Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2006 16:26

But I did Reg. Kath. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 May 2006 16:31

ooo you've put me off going there today -since Heather's tip about the ftm websearch thing I've been using that & it's idiot-proof (well, Sarah-proof anyway, much the same! lol!) Sarah :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2006 16:36

My son has just had a look at Ancestry for me, and he reckons they haven't changed anything, but that it's just a technical fault with the search box and he's pretty sure they will be working on putting it right. He reckons that if they had changed the way we had to search then the search box would have been removed. I really hope he's right. Kath. x

Linda

Linda Report 6 May 2006 16:44

I have sent a question asking why, await their response. Linda

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 6 May 2006 17:06

I am about to e-mail them too - this system is so long-winded and not good at all. It will put me off using it. Kate

Michael

Michael Report 6 May 2006 17:12

Sometimes I've tried a search which I know should yield results, got none, done it again immediately and got the results I wanted second time round.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 May 2006 17:18

I have just e.mailed them ............ Maybe, if we all e.mail them and suggest they have a problem that needs rectifying asap, back to how it was a few days ago ! ..... they may well respond ... if only with an explanation ! Elaine ;-)

K.C.

K.C. Report 6 May 2006 17:32

Yes where has beta gone anyone know KC

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 6 May 2006 17:43

I have e-mailed ancestry today and told them the new system is putting me off using the site. I have told them it is dreadful and please would they return to the old system. Perhaps if enough of us e-mail and complain they will take note. Here's hoping. Lainey

MaryPoppins

MaryPoppins Report 6 May 2006 17:47

Well How Rude !!! Have spent almost the whole of today trying to find a marriage the new long way and then it went. I have emailed them, but there was a thread a while ago speculating that beta would not be included in an ordinary membership for very long. Mags :(