Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM own web page. PETER MORGALLA HELP please!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 13:50

Took Heather's advice & tried to make a web thing to put my tree on from FTM (she said it was easy & I trusted her!!) Flippin' thing let me make a 'home page' through genealogy(.)com.... after a bit of a rigmarole with usernames & passwords being sent to me. Then I went back to FTM & asked to upload a tree - it asked me to 'privatise' which I duly did, now it's asking me another load of stuff about passwords etc - what a palaver... I'm going to give up soon & concede defeat.... you are obviously MUCH cleverer at this than me - could you explain how you did it - in idiot-proof terms please (I only discovered that there were 'cookies' you can't eat last week!!!)............ Sarah :-§

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 14:13

oops! urgent call from OH, got to go out.... will check this later.. Sarah :-)

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 29 May 2006 14:19

I will have to watch this as well, I have had trouble with changing my password to my own , and have to keeping using there own gobbly gook one;; Heather;;;;;;;;; You have been doing this one longer than me;; Babs

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 14:48

back now... sarah :-)

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2006 15:34

Sorry kids, it went all straight forward for me. Have you actually registered your FTM with ancestry? Click on help and then down to register FTM. There is also an option on that list for technical help. I just clicked next a lot for mine! I seem to remember I had a problem with it exporting at first because my firewall that I had then but I switched it off and then learnt how to allow FTM to be uploaded with the firwall on. I just went to Internet Options, clicked on create family home page, saw it immediately started storing all the info then it comes up with the pages you click on, asking if you want to add photos and all that stuff and the privatise living persons - then the last page you click to create your front page - you just choose the type of layout and text and background and add a few lines about it being your family and you welcome anyone with connections to contact you and so on. I put just my name and my not cold mail email address because that is the best for filtering all the spam you may get if you have an addy on the net. When I add more info, I just click on Internet Options, update my family page and off it all goes again, except you dont click all the pages just do next and the final one ignore (cos you dont want to go through all the setting up of the first page again) As I said, no problem doing it. I dont know if Val can help I seem to remember she had a bit of a palava doing hers first time?

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2006 15:42

Maybe Peter could help, he seems a whiz at this, perhaps change your heading to Peter Morgalla instead of Heather?

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 15:44

Thanks Heather, I did register with ancestry but sent the 'puter to the doctor's since then to clean up my C drive, shouldn't make any difference though?? I got to the home page bit & wrote a bit of text & gave it a title 'n all that but it didn't ask me for my gedcom tree. So I went back to ftm & asked it (in internet options) to upload my tree & that's where I started getting put off because all the password/username cr*p started bugging me - I'd just done all that to create the homepage... Think I'll wait & try again tomorrow - a bit more determinedly!! Sarah :-) UPDATE: Ok will try that now

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 29 May 2006 16:43

Heather I am ashamed to say I had not registered it thought it did it automatically silly me .But I emailed them and they came right back and told me how to do it .

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 May 2006 17:01

Thanks Heather....! Interestingly I haven't tried uploading an FTM web page yet, so I dont know what the pitfalls might be. I might give it a try and see what happens.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 29 May 2006 18:27

Hi, I haven't yet done a web page but hope to when all my information is on FTM. I have had advice from Heather before and what I would really like is to be able to look at her pages on the web so I can get some idea of what it will be like. Any chance Heather? Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2006 18:46

Jennifer, Ive sent you the url. Rutland, ditto! Not the most pro example, but gives an idea. Its very handy when you want rellies to look at it to check it out and stuff - they dont need a family tree program to look at it. And Ive had a couple of contacts who picked it up through a google search of particular names on there. Remember to use your 'not cold' mail if you put a contact email addy on the front page - that will filter the spam you get if you leave an email address on the internet.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 May 2006 20:23

Ok got there in the end, and I can sympathise with Sarah First of all tried 'Create a Family Home Page' option but it appears that because I had previously registered with Genealogy.com it was necessary to log in first, otherwise the process failed. Forgot passwords, obviously, but the recover option sent me an email with the details. So having logged in then proceeded to register using the Create option again. This time it worked ok and I was sent to the page which allows you to set the details you want to appear on your home page. Here is the url, if anyone is interested. http://familytreemaker.genealogy*com/users/m/o/r/Peter-Richard-Morgalla/

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 21:52

Thanks Peter, I just looked at your page & it's great... I think I created a homepage but I've no idea how to get a tree onto it... Could you tell me how you did that bit please?? Thanks Sarah :-) UPDATE: I think I've cracked it - I've now managed it through 'FamilyTreeMaker's Genealogy' site. For some reason I was on genealogy(.)com before (not the same). This time I got the choice of uploading a gedcom ... it's doing that now.... must nip back to see how it's doing Sarah :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 22:22

Oh dear it seems to have got stuck & I've realised that I told it to upload a .FTW file instead of a .GED Will it get confused & spit it all back at me??? Sarah :-(

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 22:32

All better now - snuck out of the page that was stuck & went back to my FTM & tried 'add tree/report to my homepage' & it worked !!! and I've seen it!!!! and... well, .........ouff - that was hard work... Sarah :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 22:33

ever feel like you're talking to yourself??

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 29 May 2006 22:35

well done Sarah now the fun can begin good luck

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 May 2006 22:38

Thanks Val, Stupid isn't it but posting my 'progress reports' on here made me feel like I had someone helping me through it, holding my hand.... Well, got there in the end.... not as bad as childbirth ....but my baby's on the web now... Sarah :-)

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2006 22:58

To be honest Sarah, its sounds to me that you did too much! The program should do it all for you, no need to create gedcoms or anything else, just click on Create Home page - that is your website - not just a page, it takes everything over with it.! The home page is not a good description it should be something like Family website because ALL your info should be on there, it does it all automatically. Have a look at mine, I think I sent you the addy. Posting a tree on your homepage is something IN ADDITION to all the info from your tree. When you click on the option create Home page, you should see a little scale with the percentage of your tree info being transferred then you receive a message, your home page has been created. Thats it, all your stuff is on a web page, you dont need to do anything, FT does it for you, taking all your info without you having to do a thing except press next a few times.

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 May 2006 10:55

Heather, It wouldn't do it on it's own - maybe I went about it the wrong way - still, I got there in the end. Still got to work out how to send the link to people... l'll leave it a few days though (overdosed on it a bit, feeling a bit sick of it!!) Would be interested to see yours though if you could send me the address... Thanks Sarah :-)