Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone help!!!!! ideas please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 10:35

please see below in mo, thank you

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 10:46

morning all, I have a problem with my great grandparents, any thoughts advice what to do next would be most helpful, here are facts:: Susanna Eleanor Graves b.1869 uffculme, Devon moves with parents to hucknall torkard, Nottm, sometime 1871-1881 as they there in 81 cen, in 1888 susannna has baby boy, (my grandad) george leonard graves, (Have cert). In 1890 she marries the father George Wood, have them on 1891 cen living with her parents in hucknall. No sign of either of them in 1901 cen, However, I have found a marriage and got cert of george wood, in 1896, in place where he was born(arnold, Nottm) marr certs states widower, and is the same father/occupation as on 1st marriage, I have searched 1891-1896 Death records for susanna's death, both in maiden name and married name, but nothing found, (the son George leonard is living with her parents on 1901 cen) I have even trawled the institutions/hospitals just incase she was inmate, but nothing, this is my problem, has anyone got any ideas as to where i can go next?????? this is driving me totally bonkers heeeelllllpppppp Julie

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 Jun 2006 10:51

Don't assume Susanna died 1891-6 just because George said he was a widower in 1896. Bigamy was not uncommon in those days. Andrew.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 10:55

hiya, i'm trying not to assume anything, but the fact that she left her son with her parents, and i cant find her anywhere at all on census 1901, she doesnt appear to have remarried, or even died, is such a problem to me, many thanks Julie

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:59

Have you looked for the replacement wife on the 1901 census? Merry

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Jun 2006 11:05

1901 does this match with marriage cert Name: Geroge Wood Age: 35 Estimated birth year: abt 1866 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Arnold Ecclesiastical parish: Arnold St Mary County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England Source information: RG13/3158 Registration district: Basford Sub-registration district: Arnold ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Folio: 108 Page: 27 Household schedule number: 155 Annie Wood abt 1875 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Wife James Wood abt 1900 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Son Nellie Wood abt 1895 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Daughter Sarah Wood abt 1897 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Daughter Thomas Wood abt 1899 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Son William Wood abt 1896 Arnold, Nottinghamshire, England Son Update George is a coal miner Address could be Surgays Lane Maureen

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 11:23

Glitter, I took a quick look at the marriage in 1896 and I think the bride was Annie Guy. There is an Annie Guy on the 1891 census aged 14, born in Arnold.....so that must be the one, I think. Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 11:24

hiya many thanks to all for answering, yes merry I have the wife and family on 1901 cen, it is the family that glitter baby found, she was actually helping a bout 2 weeks ago with this very problem, but i thought Now i have this marriage cert, i may be able to find out what happened. I have even considered the possiblility, that he's murdered susanna and buried her, which is why i cant find a death LOL!!! Julie

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 7 Jun 2006 11:24

These are the only 3 showing up for surname WOOD between 1891 and 1896 with birth year circa 1869 (+/- 2yrs) Susannah Wood abt 1871 1892 Jul-Aug-Sep Chapel En Le Frith Derbyshire Susannah Wood abt 1867 1895 Apr-May-Jun West Ham Essex, Greater London Susannah Wood abt 1869 1901 Jul-Aug-Sep Droitwich Hereford And Worcester, Worcestershire Could she have been sent somewhere due to illness - a hospital or union infirmary in a different area perhaps?

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 11:29

hiya, i spose it could be possible, but I honestly dont know, I had seen all the entries, and have even searched through to 1907 just incase id missed something, I still havent got a clue though what to do julie

Lou In Wigan

Lou In Wigan Report 7 Jun 2006 11:31

If she is not dead maybe she had also remarried? Have you tried looking for a marriage, the child may have only been staying over with the grandparents. Just a suggestion.

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 11:36

hiya lou, this thought did cross my mind, I have done a check though and found nothing, the son did stay in Hucknall though he marries there in 1924, living and working and my family all born there, Julie

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 11:55

If George was not really a widower when he remarried in 1896, I would have expected him to go elsewhere to marry and live somewhere else too, afterwards. Did the remarriage take place under the noses of his relations and those of Susannah too?? If it did, then I would think it more likely there was nothing untoward and that Susannah was indeed dec'd. Some registrations (about 0.2-0.5%) don't make it to the GRO indexes........... Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 12:01

hiya, merry, the answer is yes, they married in SAME reg office, only 6yrs apart, would you think then it would be worthwhile looking at P/Rs to see if i can find a burial?? Julie

Lou In Wigan

Lou In Wigan Report 7 Jun 2006 12:12

I think I have a possible. If Hucknall is in Nottingham, I start with the area where the original child was by 1901, the mother is not usually far away, so I had to possibles one listed as Inger and the other as Robinson. A Susanna Wood married a Joseph Robinson in Nottingham DEC 1893 7b 455.(freebmd) They are together on the 1901 census. Do you think it could be them?

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 12:14

ohhhh, lou!!!!! tell me more, Hucknall is indeed in nottmshire, you may be onto something here julie i have found them on 1901 just looking now at image

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 13:43

hiya, there is a problem with the marr entry, and her birth being down as 1867, there is a birth entry for same year/dist, so i am now facing a dilemma, is this My susanna or not Julie also i cant find the 1893 marr ref on freebmd, there is one in 1891 to a thomas robinson, but not one in 1893 dec,???? julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Jun 2006 13:54

see what i mean??? Name: Susanna Wood Year of Registration: 1867 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Basford County: Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Volume: 7b Page: 115 this could be one on marr to joseph robinson julie

Lou In Wigan

Lou In Wigan Report 7 Jun 2006 13:59

Louise goes away to have a little look around.

Lou In Wigan

Lou In Wigan Report 7 Jun 2006 14:08

Heres the possible marriage. Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Dec 1893 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barker John Nottingham 7b 455 Dilks Lucy Nottingham 7b 455 Robinson Joseph Nottingham 7b 455 Wood Susannah Nottingham 7b 455 Goes to look if there is a unattached Susannah Wood in the area in 1891.