Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Very stuck, need advise

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:07

See below please

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:11

I am looking for the parents of sarah carter, she was born 1817 in great amwell, herts. She married Henry varney b1805 and they lived in wormly having some 10 children. At one point on the census sarahs mother mary and brother matthew are living with her. It gives marys place of birth as drayton parslow in bucks which i found no problem. Now on her father, i know he is called william carter and he married mary jerroms in feb 1808 in great amwell but for the life of me i cannot find his birth. He is married in amwell, all of his children are born in amwell yet i cant see him can anyone off some advice or ideas that i can try in order to find him please?

Lesley

Lesley Report 16 Jun 2006 18:14

hi there very often the marriage would take place in the bride's parish - where her family were living at the time, not necessarily one she was born in. You may find William's birth in a neighbouring one? this has certainly been true for a lot of my relatives. hth Lesley

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:17

Hi can you tell me where great amwell is?

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:17

Thanks Lesley been banging my head on that brick wall for a while now!

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:18

Great amwell and little amwell are in hertfordshire, areas around it are hoddesdon, ware and hertford 0)

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:19

Ok, will see if i can find anything in those areas x

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:25

Thanks fuzzy!

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:33

Hi there, found the marriage between william carter and mary, found a baptism of a william carter in 1775 in cheshunt hertford. there are unfortunately quite a few william carters, shame the IGI didn't have a ancestral file giving spouse and parents...we can but dream! Fuzzy xx

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:35

Have you got him on the 1841 census?

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:36

Thanks tho fuzzy, unfortunately carter is a tad too common, there are at least 15 of them any one of which may be the one im after ;9(

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:38

ill have to double check as my notes are illegible now ive altered it so many times, i dont believe i found him there at all

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:46

Just had a thought and you wont like this, but one of my lot married in Lambeth all the children were born in Lambeth, but he was born in Staffordshire, only stumbled upon him in the 1841 due to an unusual name!

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 18:48

Hehe great!! finding him with a name like carter is going to be next to impossible lol. I would love to just pick a william and run with it but in my heart ill know its not right so i cant but i have just 1 generation on this tree...such a shame to have it end so suddenly Thanks for the hlep fuzzy ;)

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 18:55

Hey dont give up, trawl through the 1841 census and see if you can find a william carter married to a mary born in great amwell. He must have been born about 1780ish you reckon?? I did find one couple in Hertfordshire a william 1781 mary 1791 and a jas carter 1826, but of course this could not be the couple, far to young to have married in 1808 even with the ages being rounded up or down by as much as five years in the 1841. Good Luck, if it makes you feel any better you are so not alone, I have more brick walls than the nearby housing estate at the moment!!!

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 19:03

Hi, maths not my best subject!! That could be the couple mary would have been about 17 and william 27 when they married. do you know when Mary was born?

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 19:04

mary was born 1774 in drayton parslow bucks

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 19:07

Sorry you said that in the initial posting, getting carried away here!! I will write it all down and look when I have more time, will let you know if I find them xx

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 16 Jun 2006 19:09

thank you dear 0) will be glad to get past this lol

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 16 Jun 2006 19:14

You welcome, so know how you feel!!