Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how much information can they get.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 18:29

hi all i dont want to sound thick ( not very good on computers ), if you click on someone they have your e-mail address how much information can they get from it, eg account details/card details etc. regards jackie.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Jun 2006 18:31

Hi Jacqueline, Are you talking about sending someone an e-mail on Outlook Express, or are you meaning sending someone a message via Genes reunited?? Betty

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 18:37

hi betty thanks for your reply, there is someone on the records thread asking for help the same surname has appeared in my e-mails before now from a faraway country asking for help in moving funds to this country, ( i think we have all had one by now ), they wanted my details etc, would they be able to get to your account details through your e-mail address, ( excuse me i am a bit of a worrier where my card is concerned ). regards jackie.

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 17 Jun 2006 18:39

Jackie, It is spam, just delete them... Dont reply to them. they send emails to randam email address. The only way they can get any details from you is if you reply and tell them... lol Sara

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Jun 2006 18:42

Hi Jacqueline, This is strange but i don't know of anyway they can get you home e-mail address from Genes Reunited. Your details should only be private to you alone, that is unless you have given you e-mail address to this person or some other person on GR, who could/may have paseed it on to this strange person asking for money. I would contact GR NOW and tell them what is going on, they will sort it out and have him/her taken of the boards. Betty

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 18:49

hi sarah and betty no i have not replied to any of the e-mails, i was just wondering if you replied to a thread on this site they cannot get your e-mail address until you reply back, thanks for your replies it has put my mind at rest. regards jackie.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2006 18:50

Jackie, If you receive an email fro abroad with a sob story asking you to help to move money DELETE IT. Millions of these emails are sent every day and search the internet for email adresses. You were just unlucky that their computer found yours. Whatever you do DONT REPLY. They can not access your card details, alt they want is for you to respond then they will trick you into sending money to them.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2006 18:53

Are you talking about the Abdul Khanani post on records? If so, I think you should email the GR team, telling them that you have had emails from this man requesting help in shifting funds. Its an out and out scam and GR will get rid of him pronto - I hope. If that isnt the person you mean, then apologies to everyone concerned! Olde Crone

*Starsailor *

*Starsailor * Report 17 Jun 2006 18:57

No-one off this site can get your direct email address unless you give it to them. Your GR inbox is totally seperate from your outlook inbox. When you get an message on GR it automatically alerts your outlook. Hope this makes sense.. lol Sara

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 18:57

hi peter thanks for your reply, no i dont intend to reply to the ones on the other e-mail address, i really need to delete it altogether but have to wait for my son to do it ( hotmail address ), i just wanted to put my mind at rest, i dont know computers very well, so was wondering how far they can dig without you offering your details, card etc, the name on the records board is the same surname coming through my e-mails asking for help shifting funds etc, please dont think i am thick just an old fool not very good on computers. regards jackie.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Jun 2006 18:58

Jacqueline If you reply to a posting on Genes the poster will NOT have access to your private e.mail address. The only way anyone can get it on here is if you physically give it to them. Worry not... Chris :)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 19:00

hi old crone holden oh i'm sorry if i have offended anyone i didn't mean it to sound like it did, please accept my apology, and thanks to everyone who has replied you have put my mind at rest. regards jackie.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Jun 2006 19:04

Hi Jacqueline, it doesn't matter if you send a message on the board of GR or send a more private message of a pm!! No, they can't get your e-mail address or any other details about you at all!!! usless you give them your personal home e-mail address--- Which you haven't. Betty

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2006 19:10

Jacqui You havent offended anyone!!! I was just interested to know if this was the poster you were referring to, it is a very strange message indeed, and whilst it is quite right that no-one can get your email address on this site unless you give it to them, I wouldnt want any unwary member offering to help this person. Think I'll email Genes myself actually, its a really odd message. Olde Crone

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 19:11

hi betty thanks for your reply i do feel better now after all the replies, i think i need to go now as i seem to have offended and i feel awful now, i didnt put the name down just in case i was doing wrong, thankyou all. kind regards jackie.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 19:13

hi olde crone sorry my post came after yours. regards jackie.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Jun 2006 19:15

Hi Jacqueline, No you are better safe than sorry, if you feel there is a problem then you are better to check it out as you did. Don't worry about it everyone would feel the same if they felt someone could get at their credit/debit card details but this website is completely safe that way. Glad you feel better now!!! Betty

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2006 19:16

Don't worry Jackie, I have reported that posting to GR Abuse - I did not mention yiour name, so if there is any flak, its me that's going to get it not you, and my back is broad!!! Thankyou for bringing this to our attention - you done a good fing, girl! Olde Crone

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jun 2006 19:23

hi betty thankyou. olde crone, so sorry i thought i had offended i haven't been on for a while, (transcribing), and i go and upset as soon as i come on, thanks for the help everyone. kind regards jackie.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2006 22:42

The only thing is, Christine, this person must be a member of Genes to have posted his message. Noone seems to have responded to it thankfully. OC