Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just opened a Suitcase full of old Photos YIPEE !!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 15:42

when my Mother in law and Aunt died we packed a lot of stuff into a couple of Suitcases which my Husband then put in the Loft , well finally got him to go up and find them and wow must be about 150 old Photos fantastic, just wish somebody had written on the back in Pencil who they were as my Husband doesnt recognise quite a few of them. Just had an amazing couple of hours looking through them .Going to copy them and get them on my FTM programme as soon as possible .

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Jul 2006 15:48

*Crone hisses viciously at thread* Oh, well done, Valerie, how lucky! OC

Angela

Angela Report 5 Jul 2006 15:50

OOh, lucky you. No ironing or serious stuff will be done in your house for the rest of this week!!

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 5 Jul 2006 15:52

LOL LOL - when I read the title I thought it was another Herta/Heinz saga! You must be in your element finding all those old family photos!! My mum did a similar thing when my grandad died - she was given a bag full of old documents and photos which she was too upset to look through at the time. So she put them in the wardrobe and forgot about them, until I started on this family tree quest and she remembered the bag. When she looked in there it was full of old birth, death and marriage certificates for him, his parents, siblings who had died etc, as well as photos we'd never seen before. Very exciting isn't it!!

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 15:57

some are ever so old , to think I would not have looked twice at them before I started doing the family tree .I have a few contacts who will be getting some rare old Photos of their families.Going to be busy getting copies done, thats okay Old Crone Hiss all you like I would feel the same. By the way what is Ironing again can somebody remind me please?????

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 5 Jul 2006 16:55

How lucky are you? I really envy you. Ironing is a thing that people with nothing better to do use to pass the time, I can't see it ever catching on though.

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 17:00

Dover Sue now I know what that thing is for in the Airing Cupboard.. I must say I am so excited I cannot sit still , they are so good some are well over 100 years old

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 5 Jul 2006 17:06

A quick tip, just in case you ever think of trying the ironing thingy, you have to plug it in and then it gets hot !!! I know!!! Modern Technology. Don't try plugging in the hoover though, it makes a horrible noise, or maybe that's just mine :-) Just push it around to make a pretty pattern on the carpet.

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 17:16

I dont Hoover I spray that stuff you put in the bag around and he thinks I have been busy

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 5 Jul 2006 18:46

A girl after my own heart Valerie, we should start a revolution!

Vicky

Vicky Report 5 Jul 2006 18:51

in the interests of my health, I am not doing any ironing I dont want to get heatstroke

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 5 Jul 2006 19:17

My mum-in-law just produced some photos from the 1920's and before + a couple of certs that she found while cleaning out an old box.. She thinks I'm totally mad wanting copies of people I don't know--doesn't get this family tree stuff at all -bless! but she keeps coming up trumps, it's marvelous when these things happen isn't it?

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 5 Jul 2006 19:50

How exciting Valerie I have inherited lots of photos from both my mother and mother in law and I have not got a clue who they are. However I have just linked up with a hot match who has sent me scans of a painting of gggggg grandfather and his daughter from about 1800. I never thought I would know what any of my early ancestors looked like. He also sent me a scan of what I think is my great grandfather's cousin who died about 1875. On it his ancestor has written this is doctor Blacker's father. I asked him about making my doll's eyes better when I was in my cot...... . If only my family could be as helpful. It is lovely when you get something to bring family history to life isn't it. Much better than ironing.

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 21:06

I wish one of my hot matches could tell me who this lot are I do have a couple of rellies who might know so will be very busy scanning , and I quite understand getting excited about old Photos, much more interesting than new ones.

Karen

Karen Report 5 Jul 2006 23:08

Well done valerie, My mum has loads of old photos in an album i remember when i was younger she spent weeks shut away with her typewriter and sticky labels and her photos, theres only a few that she doesnt know who they are, im hoping to put names to faces with the info i have found on her side, also one day those pics will be mine all mine lol ( runs away rubbing hands with glee)

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2006 23:08

i took some old photos when i went a fortnight ago to meet two of my mams cousins and the photo i had of my grt grand parents there grandparents they had never seen before so have since sent them copies but they helped me a lot with some of the people i didnt know.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Jul 2006 23:11

Actually, I shouldnt moan, really. My third cousin recently sent me a load of photos from his side, including his GM's wedding photo. No-one in his fsmily had a clue who any of the guests were, but I was able to identify all except one, as being from MY side! Also in this collection was an unknown woman standing on a cobbled street, grinning madly in a daft hat. Oh dear - she is the spitting image of me!!!! As my cousin and I only share one female relative, our 2 x GGM, then I surmise that whoever the mystery woman is, who looks like me, and is related to him, then both I and the mystery woman look like our 2 x GGM! As no photos of her exist, this is an interesting idea! However, the reason for my sourness at the beginning of this thread is because when my Grandad died in the 1970s, my Granny had a two-day bonfire, burning every bit of paper, including photos. OC

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 23:34

fancy burning old Photos , I know what you mean my cousin who managed to somehow get hold of all the family photos when my nan died destroyed most of them including Newspaper articles about an Uncles death in the War who had a heros funeral.When I asked why she said they were depressing, guess who was even more depressed.

Maurice

Maurice Report 5 Jul 2006 23:37

DATING FAMILY PHOTOS Get them out and try this. Look for Wedding rings (if you already know the wedding date no ring may indicate before being married) and of course engagement rings. Look at dress (Go to the library - with your photos and study fashion) Look at which flowers are in bloom (denoting time of year) Look at trees (same reason) this is useful if you have a wedding photo and no certificate (It may help to reduce the search ,say to Autumn if leaves are on the ground. Look at weather Snow /High sun/ Brown Grass (same reason) Look at Hairstyles Look at Cars in the background and work out approximate year.Number plates ? If you know the area where the photo was taken - go there now and look at the buildings that have been built since - then find out when they were built. Changes in hight of trees ? Look at street furniture/traffic signs/telephone boxes type of. Indoors look at the furniture/food packets/ radio/television type/phone type/decoration. Uniforms - Badges The obvious look on the back. If there is a name of the photographer - look in the trades directories many old firms keep records, also if for example the photographer was shown in say the 1840 trade directory but not in the 1850 you may be able to discount anything after 1850 We tend to be drawn only to the person in the picture, so give this a try and you may sort a few out at least. regards Maurice

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Jul 2006 23:49

Oh Maurice! Some wonderful ideas there but sadly, my lot all had posed studio photographs in the 1800s! Including wedding groups...and they didnt go in for fashion much, either. OC