Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How can I import my GR tree on Legacy?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 11:14

After my initial first problem, thanks to Elaine and others for your tips and advice, I now have another related problem. I received the email which sent me my tree, clicked on download and it comes out on one continuous piece. It didn't open up into my Legacy program. So I saved it on the desk top. I went to Legacy and then file - import - browse etc., but can't find the tree on desk top. Am I supposed to save it as any particular type or encoding? Thanks for any help. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I have a bit of a problem. Somewhere along the line I have given a relative her mothers name for her partner and also her mother. When I click on the 'partners' name to delete, it automatically jumps to the mother and don't allow me to delete the name as she is now classed as the mother. So my problem is do I leave it alone and just ignore it, or the worst thing to do would be to delete the whole b*$%£y tree and start again, as I have over 200 people in my tree I don't want to do that even if it would allow me to do. Although I suppose I could re register and start again properly this time. Hope I have explained my self properly. Any advice would be welcome, thank you. Shelley

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 17 Jul 2006 11:20

I don't understand - you should be able to edit any name on the system. What are you actually doing - step by step?

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 11:21

Do you keep your tree anywhere else other than on GR. If the answer is NO then you should seriously think about getting a family history software programme and keep your details on your computer. You will find that any changes you want to make will be much easier than trying to amend data on the GR site - and the information will be under your control. You never know when the GR site may go down with a consequence that you may loose your data. Once you have a programme (and there are a couple of freebies you can download)you could then export your tree from GR - do the necessary amendments and then upload your correct tree on to GR. Don´t leave it until it is too late - there were a couple of threads on here yesterday about people loosing their trees!!!!

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 17 Jul 2006 11:22

Don't know if this is any help but if you temporarily changed the mother's details could you then work on the partner's details and change the mother's details back after you've finished?

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Jul 2006 11:23

If the two names are the same it won't let you delete either, even if only linked to one person. Edit the one you don't want ('say to 'Unwanted Smith') then try deleting.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 17 Jul 2006 11:24

Yes, and have you tried the 'Reset Details' button?

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 11:34

Thank for the replies guys. Paul Barton - I have my tree on GR so it don't allow you to delete someone if they have children. I am clicking on the 'partner' for the female and then clicking delete relation, but the moment I click on the partner it just jumps to her being the mother. I know I had problems in the beginning with this tree. Just looking at it further not only is her mother her partner but she is also the mother to her brothers and sisters as well as their sister. Elaine - No I only keep my tree here, although I have been thinking for some time now, I really should keep it else where because I know I'll cry if it get's lost. Could you possibly point me in the direction of the freebies which can be downloaded.

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 11:39

Legacy http://www.legacyfamilytree(.)com PAF (Personal Ancestral File) - from LDS site www.familysearch(.)org Both are free. I don´t know which is best because I personally use Family Tree Maker. The 2005 version of this can be bought for about 10 pounds, and the latest version FTM 2006 costs about 24 pounds. They also do some good offers with a 90 day Ancestry subscription which is useful if you don´t have one.

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 11:42

I've tried changing the partners details to the male name and also reset details, neither worked. Thanks for the links Elaine, I'll give them a go, other people have mentioned to me the Family Tree Maker, I should look into buying that.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 17 Jul 2006 11:48

Shelley, I've had exactly the same problem 2/3 times with my tree - it's a glitch in the GR software. You'll either have to export to a family tree program such as PAF 5 (free from familysearch.org), edit and reimport, or contact GR support and ask them to fix it.

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 13:22

Hi Mary, I'm just filling one of the freebies in now, which is going to take ages! I hope it's easy enough to import it onto here.

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 13:28

Shelley - why are you filling in the freebie ??? You can export your tree from GR - and then import the file into your freebie programe. Then do any alterations to correct any mistakes that you have. Once it is correct you then upload it back to GR.

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 13:48

Hi Elaine, I'd like to say I'm a bit thick lol, but seriously though I have no idea how to import and export. I was just going to fill it all in then try and figure out what to do next.

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 13:53

which freebie program are you using ??

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 13:55

I'm using Legacy, the first one I clicked on, but can change if need be.

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 14:00

OK - on the left hand side of the screen you will see Import / Export tree click on this you then click on EXPORT GEDCOM A 'GEDCOM' file will be sent to your email box. Now, having never done this I don´t know how long it takes until you get it - but I believe I have read somewhere that it could take up to 15 minutes. Perhaps someone can confirm this for us. Once the gedcom file is on your computer you should be able to click on it and it will automatically open up in your Legacy program. If it doesn´t then you should have a facility to IMPORT a file into Legacy - probably under the FILE heading at the top of your page. Give it a go - it should be pretty easy - and come back to the board if you have a problem. PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE Am sorry but I have got to leave computer for a while - so if Shelley does come back with a query can someone else try to help.

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 14:28

I received the email, clicked on download and it comes out on one continuous piece. It didn't open up into my Legacy program. So I saved it on the desk top. I went to Legacy and file - import, but can't find the tree on desk top. Am I supposed to save it as any particular type or encoding? Thanks for any help.

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Jul 2006 14:39

Am back for a bit but will have to go again in a minute!! When you are in Legacy and click on File and then import - does it give you a folder where you should be looking for the file - does it give you an option to browse so that you can find the desktop files. Am sorry I don´t use Legacy so don´t know exactly what comes up - it might just be better starting a new thread with a title LEGACY HELP- HOW DO I IMPORT GR TREE? - or maybe change the heading of your existing thread and then people can see what you have done so far - am sure you will get some support and help from someone. This may seem a bit frustrating but persevere - believe me it will be a lot easier that typing all your ancestors into Legacy !!!

Shelley

Shelley Report 17 Jul 2006 14:46

Hi Elaine, yes it does give me that option, I always find at first if I save on desk top, I know where to look, but when I am browsing I can't see it. I'm wondering if I have to save it at first a different way. I'll change the title of the thread, thanks for your help.

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 17 Jul 2006 15:02

Hi Shelley. I find it easiest to save downloaded data files to a sub-folder of My Documents. I have several sub-folders for different purposes including one called Family Tree. I also created a folder called C:\COPY where I download software files and other miscellaneous stuff. When you downloaded your GEDCOM file from GR you would have been asked what to name the file and where to file it. I always try to give GEDCOM files descriptive names and include today's date, so I can remember where the infiormation came from. Once you have the file stored safely, there should be an option in your new tree program to import or load a file, probably FILE / IMPORT or something similar. It should then let you choose the type of file, for which you need to select .GED (the suffix for GEDCOM files). Hope this helps a bit.