Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did he drop out of space?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 11:41

Hi all, I have George Francis Weetman, supposedly born on 4th June 1890, in Chorlton, Lancs. He married Evelyn Taft in Chorlton (Dec Qtr 1917....BDM 8c /1414) and apparently died on 18th Sep 1947. I have trawled through the BDMs on Ancestry several times and some, but I cannot find his birth or his death. Am I going blind, stupid or what? Could a fresh pair of eyes, please have a look & see if there is any sign of him before I go totally nuts! Thanks in advance. God bless you, Lyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jul 2006 11:47

I can't find his birth either. Are you sure of the spelling of the surname. Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jul 2006 11:50

This is his death:- George F. Weetman, age 57 Sept. qtr. 1947, Manchester, 10e, 230 Kath. x

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 11:55

Thanks Kath, So maybe I am going blind after all!!! With my ditzy brain, that sure bodes well for future research!! LOL!! Now I wonder where i was looking for his death!!????? At least I know now the the MIL was not telling me porkies. I am glad that you couldn't find his birth....just makes me feel better, but I am afraid that it doesn't help my research. Any suggestions where to look next? I wanted his birth cert to get his mothers name. Thanks again. God bless you. Lyn

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 Jul 2006 11:58

this him on 1891 cen?? Name: George Weetman Age: 10/12 Estimated birth year: abt 1890 Relation: Son Father's name: George Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where Born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Chorlton on Medlock Ecclesiastical parish: St Ambrose Town: Manchester County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub registration district: Chorlton upon Medlock ED, institution, or vessel: 45 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name age Alice Weetman 2 Elizabeth Weetman 40 George Weetman 43 George Weetman 10/12 View Original Record View original image julie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jul 2006 12:00

I've searched a couple of years either side of 1890 and still can't find a George Fransis Weetman birth. If you know whereabouts the birth would have been registered you could contact the relevant register office to see if they can find his birth (just in case it was missed off the GRO index), or he could have been older or younger and you might need to search a few more years either side of 1890. MIL's memory might not be as good as she thinks, or she could have been given the wrong information. No offence to MIL intended, lol. Kath. x

Horatia

Horatia Report 25 Jul 2006 12:04

Perhaps George wasn't born as a Weetman? Could this be his parents marriage? Marriages Jun 1899 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Sarah Chorlton 8c 1197 Clegg Elizabeth Mary Chorlton 8c 1197 PEMBERTON Samuel Chorlton 8c 1197 Weetman George Chorlton 8c 1197

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jul 2006 12:08

Can't find a George Francis Clegg birth either. Kath. x

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:08

Hi Julie, Yes, that could be him, if the estimated birth date is right & not the age. I am really broke at the moment, so have not checked the census out as I have not money for credits. (Too many certs of late...now have to pay off the credit card, again!! LOL) This is my son's father's line, but I have not had contact with his dad or family for over 40 years. It was of no surprise that they were not very forthcoming with info, when I did contact them. But my son would really like me to include them in his tree, so I feel that I should try. However, so far it has been a hard slog, all uphill. Many thanks for your help.....I have added your info to my notes. God bless you. Lyn

Horatia

Horatia Report 25 Jul 2006 12:13

Were the family Catholic? There are a lot of George Clegg births for the right time frame but none with the middle name of Francis. If he was Catholic the name Francis could have been added later? Cheers, Horatia

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 Jul 2006 12:18

hiya, the age bit on census details 10/12 is american format for 2 months old, have checked image, and looks like 2 mo, which I wish ancestry would sort out into UK format, on uk census, i know it is misleading, Julie

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:23

Hi Horatio & Julie, I saw that marriage & tried the Clegg for birth as well & the other name on the freeBDM, but came up blank. His father's name was apparently George, but have no idea of the mother. Geo Snr was supposed to have been older born about 1848 and died 1901. I have tried all variations /spellings that I can think of, and came up with nothing. Thanks for your help. God bless you. Lyn

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:27

Hi Horatio, I do not know if they were Catholics back then. Goerge Francis' daughter as far as I know, was COE. But anything is possible. Regards Lyn

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 Jul 2006 12:29

hiya again, the george sr that was on 1891 cen with family, was born in 1848, think this is his death Name: George Weetman Birth Date: abt 1849 Year of Registration: 1900 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Age at death: 51 District: Chorlton County: Lancashire Volume: 8c Page: 471 (click to see others on page) which would explain why i cant find them on 1901 census, gimme mo and i'll recheck Julie

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:30

Hi Darksecretz When would the 1891 cenus have been taken? Two months old sound too young to be my man. MIL gives his birth date as June 1890. If it was actually 1891, would he have made the census? Or do you think that maybe it says 10 months? Thanks for your imput. Regards Lyn

Mark

Mark Report 25 Jul 2006 12:34

Take a gold star for that 'imput' Lyn. Cheered me up no end - I blame the computer age for 'input'! Mark

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:35

Thanks Julie, I hadn't checked for his death, yet.....been too busy tearing my hair out over his son. This hobby is making me bald! GB Lyn

Lyn

Lyn Report 25 Jul 2006 12:41

Hi Mark, Please. please don't blame my poor computer or its age! Just this ditzy brain of mine & fingers that get themselves in a tangle when I try to hurry!!! The folks on here seem to type a lot faster than I can!! God bless you. Lyn

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 Jul 2006 12:44

hiya, The 1891 Census for England was taken on the night of 5 April 1891. The following information was requested: Name of street, avenue road, etc.; house number or name; whether or not the house was inhabited; number of rooms occupied if less than five; name of each person that had spent the night in that household; relationship of person enumerated to the head of the family; each person's marital status; age at last birthday (sex is indicated by which column the age is recorded in); each person's occupation; whether they are employer or employee or neither; person's place of birth; whether deaf, dumb, blind, or lunatic. the image for his birth date has a bummin big enumerators X right through it, but yes, it could be 10 months, that would tie in with 10/12 for age on return, (ten months out of 12) ohh i wish they'd put it in english LOL Julie will have look to see if i can find geo srs marriage, cant see any of them in 1901 though

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 25 Jul 2006 12:47

this is only birth for 1848 in lancs Name: George Weetman Year of Registration: 1848 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Salford County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire Volume: 20 Page: 780 (click to see others on page) julie