Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just added my Tree to Ancestry its brilliant

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Aug 2006 00:04

so easy and it looks good too, took about 1 minute to upload.

Jo Jo

Jo Jo Report 5 Aug 2006 01:30

Started to put mine on too, I agree so easy, and you can keep it private if you want. JoJo

Just

Just Report 5 Aug 2006 07:18

I did not know that you can keep it private in Ancestry - I have not uploaded mine as OneWorld Tree as I did not want other people to be able to amend it without me knowing or controlling what additions or changes they are making to the uploaded One World Tree in Ancestry. I'll have to look at it again to find out about the private tree in Ancestry. Thanks Claire

Gwen

Gwen Report 5 Aug 2006 08:59

Just reading your thread I was not sure to add mine as I have living rellies in my tree and was concerned about others seeing it, Now you have said you can keep it private I think I will add mine. Thanks Gwen

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 5 Aug 2006 09:18

I have not got my tree on one-world tree as some of my information was given to me by relatives who may not want it to be publicly available, However ancestry have introduced a personal tree feature to replace people I am looking for. I have only added my direct ancestors so far. Val's right it is really good. You can make it public or keep it private and I think it automatically hides living people under 85. It has several really good features you can add photos look for souce records and add them and look for matches in one world tree. The matches are shown with names of mother and father which make them easier to screen than hot matches. If you accept them you can merge them to your tree. The feature I like best is the time line which goes by the side of the person's record which makes it easy to see how old they were when they were matched and dispatched.

Gill1957

Gill1957 Report 5 Aug 2006 10:34

I wasn't too sure about putting on for same reason as others, i.e. the privacy thing - but does this mean you have to keep full ancestry subs. to access/ view / updated your tree??? If so I think I'll stick with FTM - but would be nice and easy to share with whoever you choose to I suppose - not made mind up yet - have only just started to fill in last 3 months searching onto FTM - may yet upload I suppose - Gill :))

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Aug 2006 11:27

As I am always a bit worried about Ancestry, I decided to put my tree on Tribal Pages. This is brilliant - it is password protected and hides living people. It was very easy to do - I did it manually as that gave me a chance to check the holes in my information. The layout is MUCH better than GR and it is very easy to amend and delete. It also has the added interest (for me) of being able to put 'floaters' on - all those people you havent proved a connection with, but have done loads of research. It means that most of my rellies can now access (but not change) my tree, and my brother and I can both work on the tree, without duplicating each other's efforts. OC

Gwen

Gwen Report 5 Aug 2006 11:42

Having read more feel better about the security. I think it will be worth while putting mine on and will do it as soon as I have time. Gwen

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Aug 2006 12:15

it is I think better than GR it is easier to use and read. I now have mine on Tribalpages, here ,Ancestry, FTM and Genealogy so if I lose one should have another somewhere I hope. And did you know you can have more than One Tree on Ancestry I now have mine and my Husbands

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Aug 2006 12:16

Gwen I imported mine from here it took less than 1 minute I was amazed and it is all there.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 5 Aug 2006 12:23

Don't forget though that Ancestry has two tree options. A One World Tree which is public and can be added to by anyone,and the second (new) option which is similiar to the GR tree programme.You can add census source details etc,just the same as using FTM,but with the problems off access should you have connection problems etc i would still use FTM and back up regularly. What is the advantage to using Ancestry as opposed to FTM? Glen

Joan

Joan Report 5 Aug 2006 12:24

Sounds excellent I have started to put my tree on Ancestry 'manually' - do I somehow have to delete that before importing the Gedcom file? Joan

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Aug 2006 12:27

Hi Glen those Knickers are making my eyes hurt all that glitter, its another site isnt it and it looks good and is easy to use. Yes Joan I would remove the ones you have on there its easy to do,and just import a gedcom its so easy.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 5 Aug 2006 12:33

Hi Valerie Still not sure how it is an advantage to FTM or similiar though,can you print out family reports and scrapboks from it?Or create a PDF of a tree for descendants/ancestors/all in one. To be honest if the security is an issue (ie can it be viewed without your permission) then using FTM would be far and away more secure,at least my FTM on my PC is far less likely to be hacked than a tree on a site somewhere. Glen

Lyn

Lyn Report 5 Aug 2006 12:34

Hi, I have had a quick look, but am still unsure. Does anyone know if you can remove the tree later if you no longer want it there? What about updating it...can it be done by just importing the new version of your Gedcom file? I guess that it may be too soon to get answers to these questions, if this is a new feature on Ancestry. Regards Lyn

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 5 Aug 2006 18:38

I am having a grey moment. How can I upload the gedcom to ancestry. I can see how to add by hand but not gedcom. Many thanks jeanie

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Aug 2006 18:47

you need to export it from here ,it will arrive in a email then you import into into ancestry

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 5 Aug 2006 20:07

So do I send the e-mail to ancestry? How do they know its me? Will try now and see how I get on. Many thanks Jeanie

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 5 Aug 2006 20:11

Where abouts on ancestry is the import bit?

Tina-Marie

Tina-Marie Report 5 Aug 2006 20:25

I think I must be awfully thick, this can't be that hard, surely....I would like to put my tree on Ancestry, does it delete from GR if I upload it? Advice appreciated. Thankyou Tina