Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mystery can anyone help?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 18:48

My great grandad was born in Barrow in Furness in 1877 and was called Thomas Graham. In the 1881 census he lives in Workington with a couple called Boyd and he is listed as their son, any ideas? Cazx

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Aug 2006 18:54

Hi Caz Maybe the Boyd's were relatives? Have you traced the parents? or got the birth cert? You need more info before you can move on. Shout if you need more help. Patricia Caz, are you sure of the 1877 dob? According to Freebmd there were two Thomas Graham's born in 1885/one in 1889/one in 1892 and one in 1899.

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 19:03

Cheers Patricia that would be great, I havent got birth cert how do you get them? Have been concentrating a lot on other lines, How could you help me? Cazx

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Aug 2006 19:09

what were his parents names? any ideas? this is the 1881 i guess Name: Thomas Graham Age: 5 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876 Relation: Son Father's name: John Mother's name: Ann Gender: Male Where Born: Barrow, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Workington County/Island: Cumberland Country: England Street address: 20 Griffin St Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Cockermouth Sub registration district: Workington ED, institution, or vessel: 18 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ann Boyd 35 John Boyd 48 Thomas Graham 5 have scrapped the Devlin's they are just boarders I'm wondering if Thomas was Illig, mother Ann Graham that married Boyd

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 19:10

None yet Jess have just started on him, cazx

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Aug 2006 19:11

Caz Did you see my updated message? I can't find any trace of him in 1877. How do you know that was his year of birth? Patricia

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Aug 2006 19:20

did he have a middle name ? just hang onto this for a mo from the IGI THOMAS NICHOLSON GRAHAM Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 19 APR 1874 Millom, Cumberland, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: WILLIAM GRAHAM Family Mother: ANNE ============================================ Thomas <Graham> Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 06 JUN 1874 Kirkoswald, Cumberland, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: George Graham Family Mother: Mary ===============================================

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Aug 2006 19:24

Jess has beaten me to it! I found the same info on Ancestry. Maybe mother was married before? or as Jess says, Thomas was illegitimate. Sounds like you've got your man, anyway. Well done, Jess. Patricia

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Aug 2006 20:00

You asked about getting birth certs. There are two main sources for birth certs (assuming you want to come out of the transaction with both arms and legs ;-) ) 1] The Local RO - the Register Office for the area where the event happened. They have their own refs and some are very amenable to genealogy requests, some are not. In any event, the cert shouldn't cost more than £7 if you can supply the correct reference as well as the name, year of event, and an approximate place Some Local ROs have their own searchable BMD sites - there's a list of them on www.ukbmd.org.uk 2] The GRO - which ''harvests'' Local RO records each quarter. They also have a website from which you can order direct or you can phone or write. Their refs are different from the Local refs. If you look on their site it will explain the fees (basic is £7). http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ If you are happy to throw your money away, then you go via one of the other helpful sites which offer to get the cert for you - but charge upwards of £30 for the privilege! Christine

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 21:25

Thankyou both! just going over your info, got kicked off puter by kids! cazxxxx

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 21:29

Patricia his eldest child, my nana was born in 1898 so 1877 would be about right, cazx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Aug 2006 21:35

Caz, Are you sure you have the right Thomas? Where is he in 1901 etc? You should start with his marriage cert to be sure. Rose

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Aug 2006 21:46

so have you found patricia in 1901 census? Patricia Graham, born where?<< sorry, completely mis-read that ! What was the name of his eldest child and have you found him and her in 1901 census

Anne

Anne Report 5 Aug 2006 21:50

A little word of caution here! Graham is a VERY common name in Cumbria (Cumberland/Westmorland/Furness). I think you should try and work carefully backwards from your Nana's birth to her father's marriage and then his birth. It would be so easy to get the wrong one. All the places mentioned so far on this thread are quite a long way from each other in this vast area! Anne

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Aug 2006 22:09

There are no births for a Patricia Graham. There's a Thomas in 1901 b 1877 with wife Hannah and daughter Isabella Ann. Rose

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Aug 2006 22:14

Rose, like me, you misread the reply - i think it was aimed at Patricia, i dont think that was her name jess

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 22:17

Rose they are my great grandparents and Isabella was my nana, when I was trying to find Thomas Graham I looked at this census and went back to Barrow but cant find his birth only mention on 1881 census with Boyd's as his parents, cazx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Aug 2006 22:24

I get it now. Do you have him in 1891? Rose

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 5 Aug 2006 22:36

No Rose thats where I cant find him! I need help cos my time is so limited, Ta muchly, Cazxxx

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Aug 2006 22:37

Geeeeeeeezzz, according to 1901 census you are MILES out with his birth year!! Hannah Graham Thomas abt 1879 Workington, Cumberland, England Wife Workington Cumberland Isabella Ann Graham Thomas, Hannah abt 1898 Workington, Cumberland, England Daughter Workington Cumberland Thomas Graham Hannah abt 1837 Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England Head Workington Cumberland there is a SARAH REDHEAD there too -sister in law