Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When to use a professional researcher?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 21:45

It's coming.....

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 21:48

I have been going through a couple of genealogy mags given to me by a friend, and I am very tempted to use a professional researcher to find a the birth of a 'missing link' for me. The birth supposedly took place in Liverpool about 1811-1813 - I live in London so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use someone advertising thier services ? What's the experience you have of this ? Thanks, Jeanne

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 21:52

hiya, have you tried asking on here for someone to help you first?? parish records etc..?? Julie

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 21:52

I am looking for Tom or Thomas Jepson Gritton. His marriage cert states that his father was Joseph Thomas Gritton 'Gentleman'. Tom married Mary Euphemia Aiken in Bethnal Green in 1853. I cannot find Tom Jep before this, but his occupation was Merchant Marine, so I figure he was at sea. I do know that Joseph Thomas Gritton married Maria Jepson, and had a brother called Septimus Gritton, a naval surgeon, who in tunr was married to Jane Jepson. I have a whole bunch of wills, but cannot find Tom Jep's birth. Jeanne

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 22:00

I have found hourly rates from £7.00 plus certs, to £30 per hour. You can make a stipulation of how many hours you want them to research. If you get what you pay for - I'm wondering what the £7.00 chap does !! Jeanne

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 22:04

guess this is him then in 1861?? Name: Tom J Gritton Age: 48 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813 Relation: Head Spouses's Name: Mary E Gender: Male Where born: Liverpool, Cheshire, England Civil parish: Stepney Ecclesiastical parish: Trinity County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Mile End Old Town Sub-registration district: Mile End Old Town Eastern ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 106 Household Members: Name Age Edith H Gritton 1 Janet Gritton 3 Mary E Gritton 40 Tom J Gritton 48 Tom J Gritton 6 julie

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 22:10

Hi Julie That's him. I have pretty good information from him on down, and a lot of information about the Aiken's. I find Joseph Thomas Gritton and Maria Gritton (nee Jepson) in Epsom. I have their children - but no sign of Tom at all before 1861. Jeanne

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Aug 2006 22:15

Just a thought - you HAVE looked for his birth under the name Jepson??? The problem with paying someone to do your research is that you don't know how good they are at what they do. If they cannot find anything, you will be left wondering if they looked properly!!! (Well, I would, anyway). To be sure of a good-un, you really ought to use a member of Sog - that'll be the £30 per hour one, of course, but at least you know from the start that he knows what he's doing. The only 'professional researcher' I have personally come across was utterly hopeless and amateurish. Thank God it wasn't me paying her. OC

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 22:15

when did joseph marry maria?? is it possible he was using the jepson bit as his surname?? i have seaeched under both names, loads of thos/tom jepsons b. that time in lancs/cheshire, but not that many if Any under gritton name Julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 22:20

just a thought, the age he married, 40? possibly married before??? other children?? seems a bit late to be married for first time Julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 22:24

found this Name: Thomas Jepson Age: 25 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816 Household: View other family members Gender: Male Where born: Lancashire, England Civil parish: Liverpool Hundred: West Derby County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Source information: HO107/557/19 Registration district: Liverpool Sub-registration district: Howard Street ED, institution, or vessel: Liverpool Northern Hospital Folio: 21 Page: 2 (click to see others on page) Line number: 8 occupation is baker though, julie

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 22:25

I only found that Joseph Thomas Gritton was married to Maria Jepson when notice of her death appeared in a Surrey newspaper. I have her death cert. from March 1867, she is the widow of Joseph Thomas Gritton, Merchant. I believe them to be the same Joseph Thomas & Maria living in Epsom. A few weeks back, some kindly people on here got their children together for me, all are given the surname of Gritton. Joseph has his birth place as Hull and Maria is from Lincolnshire. There is a whole web page on this Jepson family from Lincolnshire, but frustratingly the email address is now defunct. They are all Reverends and Surgeons and Maria and Jane are shown on this page. I have looked at Tom being just plain Jepson, but as you say there are a lot of them. I am confident that Joseph Thomas Gritton and Maria Jepson are his parents, but I have exhausted all avenues open to my pathetic skills !! Jeanne

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 6 Aug 2006 22:55

hiya, cant see any possibles, sorry, even checked BIVRI disc's for marriages/baptisms, anywhere england that might fit, not a jot. maybe lancsbmd site may be able to help?? or maybe a lancs FHS?? julie

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 6 Aug 2006 23:01

That's really kind of you, thank you Julie. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and use a researcher. I am at a standstill on this part of my family otherwise. Thanks, Jeanne

Sarah

Sarah Report 7 Aug 2006 09:50

Hi Jeanne, Have you also looked at mistranscriptions for either Gritton or Jepson? Just asking cos I've got Jopson ancestors who are always being mistranscribed - so far (with some help from GR members) I have found them hiding on Ancestry under Jepson, Japson, Robson and Ispson. And I've also found Jopson mistranscribed as Jepson/Japson in the IGI - I know it's mistranscribed as someone in Liverpool has kindly mailed me copies of the parish registers. Might be worth having a go at possible mistranscriptions? Sarah

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 11:22

have you seen this forum?? http://genforum*genealogy*com/jepson/ replace * with dots as usual Julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 13:38

Whilst just googling, what do you make of this: 27 June 1827 Marriage On Saturday, the 2nd inst., at West Bromwich, Staffordshire, Mr. James Ayres, of Cardiff, to Maria Jepson, eldest daughter of Mr.J.T.Gritton,of that place, and grand daughter of the Rev. George Jepson, Prebendary of Lincoln. I've just found it at: www(*)angelfire(*)com/ga/BobSanders/Times_ Cardiff2(*)html Julie I am so very confused - do you think the daughter was called Maria Jepson, or Maria Jepson Gritton Can't believe there is 'Ayres' involved in this - look at my other posting yesterday - it is bizarre! I could cry I feel so close, yet a million miles away

Simone

Simone Report 7 Aug 2006 14:19

Jeanne Before you pay out, put a message up at www(.)liverpool-genealogy(.)org.uk/phpBB2/ loads of helpful people on that forum who may look for you when next at Liverpool RO The only thing I would say is that there are tons of possible Liverpool churches to search, so paying for research could prove very costly- If you go to the Information page on that site, you will see a link to Liverpool and Wirral churches, that lists many of the churches. Good luck Simone x

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 16:24

found this Name: Maria Jepson Ayres Birth Date: abt 1808 Year of Registration: 1900 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun Age at death: 92 District: Tonbridge County: Kent, Sussex Volume: 2a Page: 452 (click to see others on page) hmmmn julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 16:26

there is this 1851 cen Name: Maria J Ayres Age: 43 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808 Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Hull, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Islington Ecclesiastical parish: St John County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Islington Sub-registration district: Islington East ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 105 Household Members: Name Age Ann J Ayres 9 Arthur Ayres 20 Elizabeth Ayres 14 Henry Ayres 2 James Ayres 17 Maria J Ayres 43 Maria J Ayres 19 Mary Ann Watts 19 maria is widow, but her occcupation is listed as music teacher will have look for 1841 Julie