Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keeping Census Records on the computer

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 13:24

I'm sure this has been asked before but I cannot find the thread. Ideas, please, on how you catalogue and name your census records on the computer and in paper form too. Many thanks Jeannie

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 16 Aug 2006 13:32

Jeannie to keep them on computer, just press the save button when you are viewing it and save to my documents;; To print go to printed version and then click on print above bar or file and print;; Babs

Jo Jo

Jo Jo Report 16 Aug 2006 13:32

As I use the new tree on Ancestry, I just attach all the census forms to the correct people. For paper copies I keep plastic wallets for each family group and put all paper in each one. If they overlap I photcopy and put one in each relevant file. Not sure if this is the best method. Regards JoJo

Heather

Heather Report 16 Aug 2006 13:33

I make a folder for each family and if neccessary (depending how many I have), folders within that those for each census. I haven't managed to work out how to keep them in paper form! Heather

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 16 Aug 2006 13:39

Hi Jeanie, I use a system the same as Heather. I have a folder marked Family History. Within that folder I have a folder for each Surname. Within each Surname I then have folders for each Christian name followed by their date of birth (saves getting 2 Thomas' and 3 Marys mixed up!). I also use the same system for paper work ie: One Ringbinder for Maternal Line and one for Paternal Line then break into Surnames within that (but obviously the more you research the larger your files will become and you have to decide how you will then split them up) Hope this gives some ideas. Snowdrops

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 13:40

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of saving them under surname and then census date but as I may have more than one family with the same surname at different addresses for the same census year, it all got rather confusing. I seem to remember someone answering a similar question on here some months back and they had a very organised method of naming each file. Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread. Jeannie

Carol

Carol Report 16 Aug 2006 13:50

Jeannie, With apologies to the person who put these brilliant directions on the Board, as I didn't make a note of his name, I copied out the following: What I do is save each image using the Series/Piece/Folio/Page numbering system (e.g. RG13_Pc-3795_Fo-139_Pg-33.jpg). All of these files are in a single directory called (amazingly) ''Census''. I have then transcribed the details for each family member onto an Excel spreadsheet - one sheet for each census year. In the first column, I enter the filename of the image. I then use the Excel ''Insert hyperlink'' to create a hyperlink between this filename in the Excel file and the actual image. That means that when I click on the filename in Excel, the image opens. I also have a master sheet in the Excel file, where each individual is listed with their birth, marriage, death dates and also their age that they were on each census. Each BMD date is hyperlinked to a scanned image of the certificate (where I have it), and each census age is hyperlinked to the relevant transcription of that census entry in the Excel file. I had to set up a macro to manage all the hyperlinking - one click and all the hyperlinks are refreshed automatically. I hope this is the one you recalled. Regards, Carol

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 13:57

Thats the one, Carol - thanks. Have you tried it out yourself? Jeannie

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 16 Aug 2006 13:57

Hello Jeannie with 2 n's. This is Jeanie with one!! Also have a surname which starts with A. I keep the sort of plastic folders with sleeves. One each for my parents which follows their fathers line and one for their mothers. At the back I have a section with copies of the census. I also have box files for the trees that branch out. ie siblings of grandmother. These are in seperate sleeve type folders. ps Did you have a Scottish grandmother? Regards Jeanie A.

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 14:01

Hi Jeanie Despite rumours in the Adams family (my maiden name), I have not yet found the Scottish connection! Thanks for your tips on keeping records Jeannie

Carol

Carol Report 16 Aug 2006 14:06

Hi Jeannie, 'Fraid not yet. Am starting an Excel course in September and so kept the instructions as an ambition! My records are a bit chaotic and rely heavily on memory :-)) All good wishes, Carol

Heather

Heather Report 16 Aug 2006 14:28

Hi again Jeannie Regarding the system using exel and hyperlinks, you can link to your census files from word files too. So if you have details kept for your ancestors in a word file, highlight the name (or whatever) click 'Insert' then 'hyperlink' browse to the file you want then click ok. I hope this helps. Heather

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 14:34

Thanks everyone for replying, I haven't had many dealing with hyperlinks so I think I will experiment a little before deciding on a final format. I've just bought FTM 2005, so can the census records be attached to that as well?

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 16 Aug 2006 14:48

I use a similar system to heather and snowdrops, I have one thick folder with dividers each section has its own surname. I save census records on my computer by giving it its own folder then have surnames in there, when I save them I always save them with head of household forenames and the year of the census. If that makes any sense lol I do the same with births deaths and marraiges have their separate folder and indexes are saved under the relevant surname with quarter and year. Then I transfer the lot to disc. Am probably the only one doing it awkward lol, I just didn't want loads of bits of paper floating around. Nicola

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 18:26

Does anyone know if the census image can be linked to a person's record on FTM 2005? Thanks Jeannie

Merry

Merry Report 16 Aug 2006 18:43

I save all mine to my hard drive and don't keep any paper record. The files are always names with the RG or HO number and the rest of the ref plus the head of household name. I have separate folders on the computer for each census, 1841, 1851 etc. All the census sheets are attached to the families or individuals on my home tree program. As all the data....addresses, places of birth, occupations etc etc are typed onto my tree program, I find I hardly ever look at the census sheet again, so it would be a waste of paper, ink and space for me to print them out! However, the image is there should I need to refer back to it. Merry

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 16 Aug 2006 21:36

Hi Merry Thanks for that but I hope you keep a backup. I recently lost loads of stuff including family photographs due to a problem with my hard disk. Jeannie

Merry

Merry Report 16 Aug 2006 21:38

Not just one, Jeannie! Merry

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 16 Aug 2006 21:44

I considered not holding any paper records. But then I thought what if, in years to come, all my work is on a dvd and put in an attic somewhere. Years go by and no-one takes any notice because they have no interest and, one day, some future generation comes across my dvd but can't access the records because technology has moved on and there's no way for them to read it. If it was on paper either in folders of book form (as well as the dvd) they'd be able to retrieve that information without any problems. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. I see it as like the photos and certificates already handed down from previous generations -they will just be waiting for someone to find. Of course my family will be so interested in all I have done and what I create for them to hand on to future generations that it will be bound in expensive calf leather and sealed in a glass box, only to be taken out on special occasions to be revered (or, as above, end up in a dusty attic somewhere!!!!)

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 16 Aug 2006 21:45

I don't print census images - they use too much ink, and too much space (I've got hundreds). I save the images on my PC, each image being named after the page reference, and I straighten up the images, and crop the background from each page. That keeps the file sizes as compact as possible. Then, as several members of the same family often appear on the same page (and in many instances, several families too) I create a link in my PAF software. For each person record, I create sources, and for each source, PAF links to the image file. So one image can be referenced from as many individual records as necessary, quickly, and easily.