Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am related to slave traders.....UPDATED!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 13:49

See below in a mo.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 13:50

Had an e-Mail this morning from a contact I found googling. Regarding my Lindo family Well apparently my branch of the family are connected to the Lindos who fled from Spain to the West Indies, where they became the biggest slave trading family in the West Indies. Oh my god!!! Always knew Dads side of the family would turn up something awful…. On a lighter note one of my very great aunts god knows how many times removed is still alive at 90, she is the ex-mistress of Ian Fleming of Bond film fame and she was also a very good friend of Princess Margaret, she is very rich and owns properties all over the world, including the West Indies. At last I have found something a bit different to the ag labs and carpenters, but have to say I am not happy being related to slave traders.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Sep 2006 13:52

Certainly a bit of a two-edged sword: interesting/exciting (as in different) but appalling, ethically. Christine

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 13:54

Couldn't agree with you more Christine, that is exactly how I feel. Fuzzy x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Sep 2006 14:00

Very interesting Fuzz. But dont forget, it may not be the traders your name comes from, it may well be that the slaves all got that name aswell? (as in property of).

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 14:06

Hi H, No definately the traders, the family have researched it very thoroughly, she did tell me that they also gave the slaves the name of Lindo......Am too blonde me thinks for having the slaves as relatives, but would rather have them as my ancestors than the traders.....er makes me shudder....was quite excited when i read about the bit when they fled from Spain to the West Indies, but then it all went down hill!! I knew the name was Spanish/Portuguese, but didn't dream where it would all end up!! Fuzzy x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Sep 2006 14:25

Its just Glen has Martin added on to his name :}} Well, they were different days werent they. You cant be held responsible for what they did. It does all sound very interesting though!

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 14:29

I know H, but it still makes my skin crawl, am awaiting more mails from this new cousin of mine, her family have been researching all this for more than forty years......and several generations!!. Bet I dont have that sort of staying power!! Are you keeping the new name? Fuzzy x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Sep 2006 15:00

I forgot I still had it! LOL I suppose I could add Cher on to the end of Glen instead of Martin. Shall have to think of another apt name.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 15:06

hi H, I rather like new name....However getting back to the.....Gimp.....How about 'Heather resplendant in Leather'?? Fuzzy x Ps How is the pig today??

Heather

Heather Report 4 Sep 2006 15:09

Oh Fuzz, best not ask. I honestly feel very very low with this happening. I thought he was going to pull into my driveway earlier. But I think it was just a performance as if to say he could if he wanted - he then reversed and went next door. He is so horrible. His current neighbours say they are planning a street party when he leaves there and lives next door permanently. I really fear for little disabled Ralph Terrier and this bloke hates animals and stares at poor little Ralph in such an evil way. I dont know what I may do if he ever hurt my dog, I really dont,. I just hope you lot come to court to back me up.

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 4 Sep 2006 15:11

You hold him I'll hit him Heather. I haven't got time for people who don't like animals. I have a sticker in my car....The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 4 Sep 2006 15:13

oh Heather, so sorry to hear that, dont trust anyone who doesn't like animals. Perhaps we could all club together and hire a hit man? We could start hiring Glen out more I suppose! Oh course we would all back you up hon, what a horrible horrible thing to have to deal with. Fuzzy x

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 5 Sep 2006 09:45

UPDATE..... Got another E-Mail this morning with further info!! this is an extract from said E-Mail...... we were contacted by a gentleman from Israel who claimed to have traced our family tree back some way from London, Holland, Spain, Portugal and Israel. Apparently, this side of the family are/were Sephardic Jews by descent, and took the name Lindo during the Spanish Inquisition period to avoid persecution (and changed their religion - we're Catholics). I'm pretty sure that this tree goes back a lot further than 1783. Anyway, I'll do some persecuting of my own to get hold of the tree and forward it to you.' They are still waiting.... Fuzzy x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Sep 2006 11:50

UPDATE DOH! Sorry, you already have googled! Fuzzy I too have slave trader ancestors, and like you, although I was excited, I also felt rather sick, especially when I discovered that my ancestor was not thought to be one of the better slave owners. I discovered this quite by chance, by idly googling his rather rare name - the Museum on Turks and Caicos Island is almost completely devoted to this man, his brother and another relation, who owned some 2000 slaves between them. I keep having to tell myself that 'that was then, this is now', but I do still feel a kind of guilt and embarrassment about this. Incidentally, this man was a humble ag lab until his 30s and it was only because I could not find him after that, that I googled out of desperation. Try a Google! OC

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 5 Sep 2006 12:06

OC, I remember that thread of yours!! Mine apparently fled Spain during the spanish inquistion to escape persecution, we are awaiting confirmation from a source who claims that they were sephardic jews, this gets more and more bizarre!! Know what you mean about then was then and now is now...We cant be responsible for some our ancestors did. One of my g grandmothers cousins is still alive her name is Blanche Blackwell and she is the ex-mistress of Ian Fleming who wrote his book at her Jamaican Ranch golden eye, she was best buddies with both the queen mum and princess Margaret and her son Chris Blackwell sold his record label Island Records for just over $350 million a few years back.... You reckon I should get in touch and say I need a new car??!!! LOL!! Fuzzy x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Sep 2006 12:13

Fuzzy Yes, I should! I am going to throw open my Bermudan Islands for an alternative GR Xmas this year, all welcome to join in and share my new found wealth! OC

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 5 Sep 2006 12:18

LOL OC!!! Would love to join you on the GR christmas trip to your islands. do I have to do anything to qualify for the said trip?? Fuzzy x

Sheila

Sheila Report 5 Sep 2006 12:22

On the up side, if you are related to Chris Blackwell (God bless him) doesn't this mean you are also related to Cross and Blackwell baked beans?

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 12:53

Fuzzy.....not saying the story isn't true, but knowing the hoops we had to jump through just to get a Spanish birth certificate when we knew the exact date and place of the event, I'm amazed that anyone would manage to find out such info from so long ago!! It seems to me that to find out anything in Spain (and possibly other countries too) you have to bribe anyone official and then you don't know if what you are shown is legit! Looking forward to the full saga eventually! (Did you get that.....ermmm....attachment?) merry