Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

<b>Judy in the states Adaware Spy-ware Removal!! H

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 05:49

I have tried to download free, somehow it hasn't worked. They did scan my computer but now ask me to pay for disc to remove spyware. Betty

Judy

Judy Report 8 Oct 2006 07:10

Betty....sometimes when you look up a program, there are sites that will attempt to mimic the one you are looking for in hopes that you download their program, which sounds like what you came across in an attempt to download Ad-Adaware. Ad-Aware has both a pay for and a free version, though.....all you really need is the free version which you can find here: http://www.download(.)com/3000-2144-10045910.html Be sure to remove the ( ) from the address. When you get to the site just click on DOWNLOAD NOW for the free version. Judy

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 07:19

Thanks Judy, I will try that one. The one I downloaded was a red circle with a line through it. It did find things but would not remove them without registering to buy the system. Can you tell me something else I have dowloaded the Spyware Blaster but I am unsure how to use it, could you maybe give me some idea on what to do please. Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 08:02

Hi Judy, The new one you gave me asks you to pay as well. I think its because we are in the UK that we are being charged. Again it did scan the system but would not remove an problems it found until I registered and paid for the service. Betty

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 8 Oct 2006 09:29

The genuine Ad-Aware personal is free. You aren't clicking on anything else on the download page are you? You should have aawsepersonal or aawsepersonal.exe, description Ad-Aware SE Personal, size 2.72 Mb, in your download folder. ( right click, properties ) Bob

Judy

Judy Report 8 Oct 2006 09:32

Betty - I'm looking to see if I can find you a UK based site for Ad-Aware and will post when I find it. As for SpywareBlaster, once you've downloaded it and installed it you just have to click on the desktop icon once a week or so and click on UPDATES. The program works in real time, working all the time in the background - no need to scan your PC like you would have to do with Ad-Aware. You should have both as they do different jobs - Spyware protects you from having spyware/adware programs installed on your PC without your knowledge while Ad-Aware, when a scan is run, removes junk generated by spyware/adware programs and cookies. Judy

Judy

Judy Report 8 Oct 2006 09:37

Betty....double check, as Robert suggests, as I've never had anyone from the UK mention that they were unable to obtain the program using the link I posted. J

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 8 Oct 2006 09:40

Judy the link you gave is correct I have just 'overwritten' my own installation and it's all OK. ( am in the UK of course, the farthest I get is Scarborough ) Bob

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 09:54

Thanks, Judy. When my computer went wrong recently and had to have a new hard drive, I installed the spyware but forgot the adware. Done it now! ... :-)

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 10:21

Betty - have just checked both of these, and in both there is an ''upgrade'' option - if you click on that, then you are asked to pay.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 13:12

Hello everyone sorry I was up really late this morning and been out today visiting grandchildren, has anyone got the Adware addy please. I think I must have downloaded the wrong one, as it does scan the computer but then asks me to join for a fee, its Amercian. Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 13:53

Visit to grandchildren canceled, daughter had a curry last night and has been ill all day, just got a phone call, so I will be here all day. Betty

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 14:33

Hope your daughter is better soon. Just seen your PM, Betty - I used the website that Judy gave, and downloaded on where it said download now (top left, I think).

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 14:37

Hi MM, Did you use this one she gave me today http://www.download(.)com/3000-2144-10045910.html Or the one in 1 Stop Routine PC Maintenace which was http://wwwilavasoftusa(.)com/support/download/#free Does yours have a paint brush thing on it. Betty

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 15:00

The former, Betty. I don't know about a paintbrush though.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 15:19

Betty, do you have a friend / relative / friendly relative / friendly friend ... who could pop round and have a look? Wish I were nearer to you, though would probably press the wrong thing if on someone else's computer!!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 15:28

Hi MM, Thas why I was also going to my daughters today to as her hubby to come and have a look at it but with daughter being ill I couldn't. This is what it has on mine but not sure if its the correct one. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 Download Now Buy Now Add to my Watch List (What's this?) Send this to a friend Send Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition to a friend Editor's rating License Free to try Average user rating (3,256 votes) Rate it! Limitations Real time protection disabled Downloads 216,918,685 Requirements Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP Publisher Lavasoft File size 2.72MB Date added May 27, 2005 Alternate download links... Lavasoft Lavasoft With the ability to scan your RAM, Registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data-mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-Aware SE easily can clean your system, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition boasts a number of improvements. Extended memory scanning now scans all modules loaded by a process. Scanning uses the all- new CSI (Code Sequence Identification) technology to identify new and unknown variants of known targets. Extended Registry scanning now scans Registry branches of multiple-user accounts and performs additional smart checks to detect dynamically created references. Scanning speed is noticeably faster, and this version offers an Extended Scanning mode for known and unknown/possible browser hijackers. New in version 1.06: Disk-scan is approximately 30 percent faster. CSI scan is now more efficient. Added 'Scan for low-risk threats' option, to scan for targets with low TAC index. Ad-Watch CSI engine performance highly improved; using less CPU and Memory as well as having a smaller footprint. GUI adapted to use the new TAC. CNET Networks is not responsible for the content of this Publisher's Description. We encourage you to determine whether this product or your intended use is legal. We do not encourage or condone the use of any software in violation of applicable laws. To link to this page, copy the following code to your site: Read review... Read user reviews... Betty

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 15:35

Yes - underneath Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 click on download now, then click on run. If a security warning comes up asking if you want to do it, say yes. Then just keep clicking on next. Ignore anything else on the screen. ............... I hope!! ... :-)

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Oct 2006 15:41

Hi MM, It doesn't have Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 on it at all. It just has dowload and when you do it takes you to another part that ask you to pay. Up at the top it says buy now, did you see it. Betty

Joy

Joy Report 8 Oct 2006 15:47

It says buy now on the right of dowload now.