Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Research... how do I go about it? What are peoples

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 2 Nov 2006 22:48

Please read below....

Steve

Steve Report 2 Nov 2006 22:50

Hi, I know this may have been asked... but any advice on collection as much info on someone as possible, the websites to use, subscriptions to take out and such, CD's etc to buy, resources/supplies... Any ideas to add, thanks to anyone for their input on the matter... Just looking to add the right people to my tree etc... Steve

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Nov 2006 22:55

Nothing beats the old-fashioned method of getting certs and going back one step at a time. GRO Indexes are available free of charge at main libraries (and some smaller ones) LDS Family History Centres, County Records Offices, etc. You plod through them till you find what you are looking for. When you get back to 1901, you can hopefully find your rellies on the censuses. Only the 1881 is free to view - I use the LDS version on line. I don't have a sub to Ancestry myself but I am sure that everyone who does, will tell you it is probably the single most useful site you can subscribe to. I wouldn't rush to subscribe to lots of different sites - wait till you have a specific need and then decide which one. Google is free - and very useful for all sorts of things. And of course, advice and expertise is free on here too - don't be afraid to ask. OC

Steve

Steve Report 2 Nov 2006 23:03

Thanks OC. I've always though the more sources you have the better.... even having Birth, marriage and death certificates are useless without the proper details/sources to back them up etc.... I love cross referencing alot of things... just really trying to collate a ton of information and verify it decently. With common names/surnames, the amount of sources you have can be invaluable. And even with uncommon ones can add tons of detail to the bones of the person, not just names, addresses, dates etc... Thanks for any advice from anyone Steve

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 2 Nov 2006 23:21

Important thing is to take it slowly and find out as much as you can over a period of time. The internet IS a wonderful resource, but the downside is that it makes people want instant answers. With only half the facts, it is easy to make assumptions and go along the wrong path. I still regard record offices and local libraries as my main source - try combining research with a short break, holiday. Jay

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Nov 2006 23:23

Well, if you are talking about 'fleshing out' then my single most favourite resource is A2A (Access to Archives). However, coverage of some areas is poor. My area, Lancashire, is fantastic and I am always finding new stuff. But I use umpteen different resources, many of which are not on line. It is quite difficult to give a definitive list, as your family may be completely different from mine, in their life path, and you would need to look in different places from me. Also the time makes a difference - I don't do much 20th century research now and am mainly buried in mediaval stuff, or at the latest, the early 1800s. Sorry, that wasn't much help, was it? OC

Sam

Sam Report 2 Nov 2006 23:30

I've had a subscription to Ancestry for almost two years now and it has been invaluable. Saying that, I think I have found census images for all the family I can now, so I won't be renewing for another year. BMD indexes are free so I will still use those. The IGI on family search is fantastic (and free), although I do verify information on there with parish records. It does give you pointers on where to look though! I am also lucky enough to live 1/2 mile from the Archives that holds the records for where 99% of my mum's side of the family came from and I have spent hours in there looking at parish records and burial registers on microfiche. I have also travelled further afield to Records Offices in other counties to research dad's side. All in all, I would definately recommend Ancestry, £70 per year isn't much if you work it out at a weekly cost of just over a pound per week. You can get others who will do look ups and send you images but nothing beats the thrill of finding someone for yourself! Also, as Old Crone says, A2A is a great site although sadly there isn't much coverage yet for the counties I have interests in. Sam x

Brit

Brit Report 3 Nov 2006 00:48

Steve I nudged up a thread for you that may be of some help as well, from Judy in the States.

Steve

Steve Report 3 Nov 2006 15:26

Thanks for all the replies... I am just trying to add more strings to my bow. Already got Ancestry, might add 1837 online sub and Familyrelatives.org sub too. CWGC, Familysearch, Genes of course, Ancestry, A2A, National Archives + its catalogue. Wonder what else I can add to this list... I want to create a family bible for many of the family and will spare no expense on its creation. Taking it slow is good advice thanks to whoever said that... will jot down all peoples points. What with the Internet the way it is, I can see certificates and other things online in a short while, bridging the gap. I will still go to records offices, librarys and other things to do with research, and maybe up to London once in a while for some hardcore research :) Steve

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 3 Nov 2006 15:36

Personally Steve I would investigate what is free before spending any money. You don't say where you are researching but rootschat which is free to join has county boards with links to local resources. I also use familyhistoryonline not free but lookups cost about 10p each for burial records and other odds and ends. I have a subscription to ancestry but probably won't be renewing because I have found most of the census records I neeed. Anne

Lancsliz

Lancsliz Report 3 Nov 2006 18:25

Hi As someone fairly new, I wasted money to start with. Ancestry website offers free trial when you can access BMD, census records etc. You can then just have a month at a time for about £10 as and when you need. But you have to ring a free tel no to cancel so make a note to do that or it will automatically renew. Prepare to become addicted...and good luck. Liz

Steve

Steve Report 3 Nov 2006 18:48

Thanks again for the replies. Another tip I am discovering is Family History Societies... I haven't joined any yet but I soon will I think. Most of my mothers family are from the South West, mainly the Plymouth area. Tons are from Cornwall. I think the area's concerned are mainly Plymouth, Devon, Cornwall and some parts of Lancashire. My Father's family however are from all over the shop... My Grandfather was born in Kent/London (Catford). Grandmother was born in Berkshire. Her family are the most scattered and come from the most different places. Areas concerned, Berkshire, Hampshire, London & Surrounding counties, Devon, Cornwall. I just need to get a plan together, and then add everything to it adding as I go and such. I am adding by individual into folders and then adding to a family tree program or to Genes... Steve

Heather

Heather Report 3 Nov 2006 18:56

Has anyone mentioned freebmd and ukbmd? In the marriage index ukbmd often lists bride and groom together which can be very useful. Heather

Marie

Marie Report 3 Nov 2006 19:26

Steve, I started about three years ago when my aunt died aged 98; (the last of the oldies). All I had to go on were four place names; three in ireland and one in warwickshire. Snippets of chat with my parents came back to me from down the years as I began to piece together bits of the family. I joined ancestry, discovered Lds site(Familysearch) and through 'luck', very kind people, message boards and Googling I am now back to 1600's on one or two lines and stuck on others. Curiousfox site and Genes proved invaluable. If you want Cornish relatives there is a lot on the web. Military births can be found on findmypast(formerly 1837online). Most important; talk to your Oldies before they go. Even far fetched tales have a glimmer of truth. Never assume anything; Check and re-check. If you can't access record offices ask someone for help. Trust your hunches. Good Luck, M

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 3 Nov 2006 19:30

Hi A free site i find useful is familysearch.org especially if before 1837 lorraine

Karen

Karen Report 3 Nov 2006 21:22

nudge for helpful info

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Nov 2006 21:55

A list of some of the resources I routinely use: BMD certificates Parish Registers Census Wills Newspapers (useful for a smallish place) Local Archives and Study Centres/Museums Libraries County Record Offices LDS Family History Centres Trade Directories Street directories/post office directories Voters Registers Rates Books Monumental Inscriptions Local History books and pamphlets Further back Land transactions including leases, tenancies etc. Marriage Agreements Muster Rolls Estate Papers Bastardy, Settlement and Removal Orders Poor Law Records Church Records (as opposed to Parish Records) Court Records and a lot more! I don't remember ever setting myself a list like this, it just sort of evolved as I became interested in a particular aspect of someone's life. I would emphasise though, that none of the fleshing out is worth doing, unless you are 100% sure you have the correct people on your tree. OC

Joy

Joy Report 3 Nov 2006 21:59

Just reading through to see what has not been mentioned - Steve, you said you have family from Cornwall - have you contacted the OPCs (online parish clerks) for Cornwall ? do you know the website for them ?

CanadianCousin

CanadianCousin Report 4 Nov 2006 00:24

I know that it's been mentioned already, but I would like to reiterate that FamilyHistoryOnLine (FHOL) can be an extremely valuable site, depending where your ancestors are from. If I recall correctly, it's run by (or on behalf of) the Federation of Family History Societies. The Cornwall Family History Society has published Baptism, Marriage, Burial, and Memorial Inscriptions Indexes covering most (?) of the parishes in Cornwall, and these are all searchable on the FHOL Website. Searching is free and it's only 6p or 7p to look at an individual record. This is - for me at least - a better option than buying the printed indexes. I've found the Memorial Index to be particularly useful in a couple of instances, where various family members are buried (or at least commemorated) in the same place. It can let you know which Joe Bloggs was Fred's father, based on the death date and age at death. On the other hand, FHOL has next to nothing for Devon, which is a shame. You can see what holding they have for each county before spending any money. Hope this helps - Tim

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 13 Mar 2007 11:56

Very useful - nudged for later. Bx