Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malvern, Worcestershire??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 07:40

Could Malvern, Worcestershire listed as on a census as a birth place for 1844 be in the same area as Birmingham Warwickshire???.........Louisa

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Feb 2007 08:03

Not really.....but who knows which is right on a census. Some of mine say their child on 1901 census was born in a Herefordshire village in 1890. I have his birth cert. b. in a coal mining valley in south Wales. How could they forget? Gwyn

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 08:24

Louisa Malvern Worcestershire is about 40 miles from Birmingham. Georgina.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 08:25

Hi Gwyn, Sounds like some of my relatives from Ireland lol. This relative states that he was born in Malvern on each census I have found, but the only birth ref I have found for the same time period is for Birmingham. I got a copy of his marriage cert and found out his Dads name, but you quessed it - can't find either of them prior to 1881 when he was married so I can't cross ref to find the right one lol Louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 08:27

Thanks Georgina, I might take the chance and get the birth cert. I don't think there is much else I can do Louisa

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Feb 2007 08:27

Try posting some details here Louisa, maybe someone will find him. Gwyn

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 08:34

Louisa as Gwyn said give us the name you are looking for & any other info you have & we may be able to narrow it down for you. Georgina.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 09:03

Thankyou, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for Charles Henry bannister b. 1844 Malvern worcestershire. He married Elizabeth Shaw b. 1845 Malver Worc. Charles father is Thomas bannister, Labourer and Elizabeths father is William Shaw, Labourer. From marriage cert. Charles and Elizabeth were noted as living in Bea st South, Birmingham at the time (1862). They lived at - 1881 - belgrave St, Kings Northon, Balsall Heath, Worc. RG11 2949 85 51 1891 - belgrave st RG12 2352 43 32 1901 - 47 Baker St, Aston, Birmingham with new wife Mary, Elizabeth died in 1899 at Aston, Birm. RG13 2865 71 18 I was hoping to find either of them on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census to see if i can find out more clues as to who the parents are regards Louisa

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 09:19

Louisa on his marriage certificate what was his fathers occupation? Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 09:41

Louisa if he was born in Malvern the registration district would be Upton-on-Severn & I cant see a birth that fits. Georgina.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 09:49

Hi Georgina, The only birth cert that is around 1844 is in birmingham, but there are also 3 others within about 4 years and one even has ties to Balsall Heath that is not my Charles. This is whats confusing me. His dad is noted as a Labourer on Charles' marriage cert regards Louisa

Sun Lover

Sun Lover Report 13 Feb 2007 10:04

Hi I live in Malvern and I've just phoned the local Reg office in Great Malvern The lady I spoke to said the registration is and always has been Worcestershire even if a child was registered at the local office. Don't forget though, it wasn't compulsory to register a child's birth before 1875 so a lot of children went un-registered. Daphne

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 10:10

I wonder if this could be Charles in 1861, his father is a labourer quarryman & his sister emma is down as being born in Mathern Worcestershire... Name: Charles Banister Age: 19 Estimated birth year: abt 1842 Relation: Son Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Susanah Gender: Male Where born: Leigh, Worcestershire, England Civil parish: Leigh Ecclesiastical parish: St James County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Martley Sub-registration district: Leigh ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 173 Household Members: Name Age Charles Banister 19 Emma Banister 14 John Banister 17 Susanah Banister 55 Thomas Banister 67 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 10:11

Daphne that is correct about Malvern being in Worcestershire but it didn't have it's own registration district until 1952 so up till then it came under the subdistrict of Upton-on-severn. Georgina.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 10:14

Thankyou so much Daphne for doing that for me I really appreciate it. At least now I know where I stand with the two areas. I will have to keep sifting through the earlier census returns to see if I can find both on one. regards Louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 10:16

Sorry Georgina, just saw your reply. So where abouts is Upton- On-Severn in relation to malvern and Birmingham. Sorry to be a pest but I am an australian and get a bit confused. regards Louisa

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 10:22

Louisa I know it sounds confusing but Upton-on-Severn & Malvern are in the same area but if you are looking for a child born in Malvern before 1952 the reference should come up as Upton-on-Severn. Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 13 Feb 2007 10:27

Louisa these are from the IGI parents are Thomas & Susan... 1. SARAH ANN BANNISTER - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 15 JUL 1849 West Malvern, Worcester, England 2. EMMA BANESTER - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 19 OCT 1845 West Malvern, Worcester, England 3. JANE BANESTER - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 15 JUL 1844 West Malvern, Worcester, England Georgina.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 10:28

Thanks Georgina, i wasn't sure if it was a totally different area or not. The family you have looked up sounds like it could be them. It is a closer match then I have been able to find. I think I will see if I can find a birth fer for his sister and see if I can narrow it down that way. At least then I will have a mothers as well as a fathers name. Thanks so much for your hard work, I have been looking at this for so long I am starting to loose a few marbles lol I'll let you know if we are on the right track regards Louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 13 Feb 2007 10:32

OOOh, must be them then. Just had a peek at free bdm and there was only one Emma Bannister listed, and she was reg in Aston, Birm. Just a thought but I noticed on the census I have with Charles and family 1881. Some iof the kids are noted as born in Birm and others in balsall Heath. Maybe his family had tues to Birm and they just reg some of the births there?? Regards Louisa