Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wow

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 21 Feb 2007 16:24

People moan about the cost of belonging to this site, well I have just had the most wonderful help from several members and it was available to me within 10 mins of me asking the question. The sub I pay to belong to this site is worth EVER PENNY, so there. Kathlyn

Willow

Willow Report 21 Feb 2007 16:33

so your subscription money went to the people that helped you then? GR is just a venue, and theres plenty of similar ones around that are free. and with GR's latest hike in prices for new members £9.95 for 6 months!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Feb 2007 16:45

Glad you're pleased Kathlyn. Was it the marriage look up in Liverpool you meant. People are only too happy to help, but you could have found this quite easily without being a member of this site as the marriage was on FreeBMD and Ancestry. Glad you're pleased though. Good luck with your research. Kath. x

Spam

Spam Report 21 Feb 2007 17:19

I'll take this site over any other, the cost is minimal compared to pay as you go web sites

Spam

Spam Report 22 Jun 2007 05:09

This is the best site for the money but don't tell GR or they might raise the rate

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 22 Jun 2007 05:15

Stop whingeing you lot! GR is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Especially all this Chicken Little hysteria the last few days about trees being raped and pillaged left right and centre! Very cheap entertainment in my opinion - much better than watching the tellie!

Marie

Marie Report 22 Jun 2007 07:26

Sorry but I couldn't agree more....for the price you pay to get in contact with other members, I think it is an absolute bargain !! I also have had very few problems with this site compared to others (she says touching wood !!) Marie x

Lin in Sussex

Lin in Sussex Report 22 Jun 2007 07:42

I think its great value for money here, and I get my daily dose of laughs. Lin x

Ron

Ron Report 22 Jun 2007 10:01

£9-95 for 6 months, Holy Moly, that's almost 50 pence a week. Come on folks, I know a lot of information is available on the net but if you are a relative newbie and you don't know where to look for it then all you have to do is ask on here. Less than 50p a week, it's gotta be right. While I'm on my soapbox, I along with almost everyone on this site will help others when they ask a question but a lot of the questions are asking for information from sites that you have to pay to use (disgusting....PAY) please remember that any site with information available requires a great amount of work by the site owner to make that information available on the net, the infornation has to be collated, website created, uploading, it's all time so please if you do have to pay for it, don't moan about it, would you work for nothing. Everything in genealogy aint free. Rant over, gets off soapbox. Ron www.genealogyprinters*com

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Jun 2007 10:16

I belong to several other sites, all of which are FREE and all of which have members who will do lookups etc, also for free. And they also have far more FREE information available in their databases. Sorry, but I don't think GR is worth the money. OC

Horatia

Horatia Report 22 Jun 2007 12:46

Basic account on Tribal Pages (FREE) Rootschat (FREE) Your Family Tree Forum (FREE) Family Tree Forum (FREE) although they do like voluntary donations. FREE BMD (FREE) FREE REG (FREE) Ancestry BMD indexes only (FREE) Google (FREE) Latter Day Saints Personal Ancestral File Software (FREE) Agreed not everything for genealogy is free - but a lot is! :-) Cheers, Horatia Feel free to add more.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Jun 2007 13:13

UKBMD - FREE ( and matched to marriage partner, and the venue of the marriage). GOOGLE - FREE - everything from how to spell a word, to the history of the Ancient Egyptians. OC

Diane

Diane Report 22 Jun 2007 13:15

Hi, I thought I would have my say, in the last month or so, I have been able to get a father and son reunited after 40 years plus half siblings etc, found and got my father his 1 and only living cousin reunited, found numerous of 2nd cousins, now tell me if that is not worth 9.95 of anyones money? Di

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 22 Jun 2007 13:26

I have to agree...this site is the best. Simply.... because the members are always so willing to help others and put them on the right track. I posted a message on another site about one of the Dublin sites that I found, which has Baptism, Marriage and Burial Parish Records that you can search.......only to get a message back more or less shooting me down in flames........telling me that it was not complete, Brady and Murphy names are verry common, Blah, Blah, Blah. I had already said all of this in my posting. I just wanted to let other people, searching for their ancestors in Co. Dublin..that this Dublin site was free to anyone and was worth looking at. Perhaps I was treading on his toes! ....I was only trying to be helpful for goodness sake. Teresa

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 22 Jun 2007 13:56

Yes, it is me who was once and anorak......IYes I do understand that there are many other sites available that give free info etc. but the thing I like about GR is the members. Sometime I have asked, to the more advanced members, what may be a silly question, but I am so very gratefull for all the help, understanding and advice that I have been given. I have an annual subscription to Ancestry and along with GR and other free sites I have been able to go back in time and see the route that has brought me to 2007. So to anyone who has hellped me as 'So, I am an annorak' and now as 'Soft as'....I will say, again, my sincere thanks to you all. and may all your children be boys or girls lol lol. Kathlyn

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 22 Jun 2007 14:01

So for you lot who hate this site - why do you waste so much time on here?

Diane

Diane Report 22 Jun 2007 14:07

I guess the ones who are moaning may not have had the success that some people have had. Di

Carole & Sue from up north

Carole & Sue from up north Report 22 Jun 2007 14:15

I seem to be unusual, in that I think the hot matches on this site are worth the fee alone. I've found a lot of accurate matches who were able to help me and an ex-wife of a great uncle who was able to provide me with an absolute MINE of information regarding Family history and stories and to provide the actual truth on a family rumor (which proved to be far more scandalous than we could ever imagine) So yes its not free but its worth 50pa week!! Carole (and I'm also a rarity in that I'm not partic bothered about other people seeing my tree)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Jun 2007 14:16

Michael Didnt say I hated this site, I said it was not worth the money and does not provide anything that you cannot get elsewhere, for free. I shall not be renewing my subs which run out in July. Sorry if I have been wasting other people's time on here in the last three years - I was only trying to help you, both with my knowledge of how to/where to research, and to give quite a few of you detailed information about our mutual relations, back to 1137 in one particular instance. But don't worry - after the 24th July, I won't be bothering any of you with any of this obviously unwanted information. OC

Horatia

Horatia Report 22 Jun 2007 16:18

I also have not said I hate this site. I have found LOTS of relatives using it and for that I'm grateful. However, that was when the site was more reliable and the tree permissions did what they said on the tin! I've also found relatives on Curious Fox for a fiver! ;-) The first price I paid for GR was £7.50 per YEAR (not six months). I don't think the price increase is justified especially as the service has gone downhill. This moaner has 3,400 people on her tree but I achieved that mainly through Ancestry. I had a tree of over a 1,000 people on here until I removed it after the fun and games of a few days ago. Why do I waste my time on here? Because I've paid for a subscription and I happen to like helping people! Hope that is OK and hope I am allowed to express an opinion. I'm a big believer in free speech even for those who disagree with me. ;-) Cheers, Horatia