Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A question of ethics!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 26 Feb 2007 20:59

There is a GR member who is related to me ( we share the same gt grandfather) who after I contacted him through Hot Matches poached all of my tree ( I was still very new to the game at time and opened my tree too freely, I've changed now) and I've since found out at least one other member's too. I've always suspected his research so never included any of his tree into mine even though he had our gt grandfathers mothers maiden name. Today I received at last this ancestors birth certificate which gives the mothers maiden name as something totally different to that on his tree! The ancestors name is fairly common hence the time taken to find the right one but I know I'm right - fathers occupation matches that on son's marriage cert and all the census - so my question (at last I hear you cry!) is should I tell our name collector and ruin his tree or leave him in peace with his 2500 names? Thanks for bothering to read this, Sue in a moral maze!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Feb 2007 21:06

Probably wont believe you anyway. I would leave him to his own devices if it was me Shirley

Julie

Julie Report 26 Feb 2007 21:08

Hi Sue If it was me and i say this with my hand on my heart. I wouldn't say a thing. Julie

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 26 Feb 2007 21:11

Hi Sue I too opened my tree to some one and I was quite upset to find my late father's name appearing on some one else's tree that only has a connection via a ggg grandfather. Whilst I couldn't have got as far as I have with some very very helpful people on these boards I think it is up to people to search their ancestors and not poach others so I think you should tell him and then he will have to do his own searching. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh but you did ask!! P.S. looking at the other replies you have had - I think I may be in the minority!

Sue

Sue Report 26 Feb 2007 21:14

Thanks for that - you've all said exactly what I thought, I just don't feel quite so mean now! Sue

Chris the gardening

Chris the gardening Report 26 Feb 2007 22:35

Hi Sue the very same thing happened to me a while ago, I opened my tree to him sent him all the census from 1841 to 1901 and lots of photo's, not even a thank you, or anything in return, and he promised me a war grave photo, (which I got from another lovely person anyway) and then I looked at his tree and he's got all my family, but wrong dates names etc. and passed them all on, didn't bother correcting him or the others, it's their loss.Don't worry about it they are just name collectors. Chris.

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 26 Feb 2007 23:03

LOL Snowdrop, you wicked girl!!!! Jay

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 26 Feb 2007 23:05

I'd write and tell him you have got the certificate and it backs up all your research and that he's got the wrong name in his tree (and therefore all lines going back from there) Except ....... I wouldn't give him the name. That's enough to drive anyone crazy - isn't it?

Charles

Charles Report 26 Feb 2007 23:21

My view is that you have to do your own individual research. So, it is up to him to be comfortable that his names are correct. I have corresponded with a number of people on here. I see it as a 'comparing of notes' and I always try to explain how I get to a conclusion. So far, that has worked very well for me and, I hope, others. The big advantage is not the acquisition of 'names' but usually it offers another avenue of research or the 'blindingly obvious' fact that one might have overlooked.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 26 Feb 2007 23:36

Sue, I had this happen to me and like you I got different info when obtaining several certificates. I did advise this person but didnt give the new names and also removed them from my contacts. I hope you've done the same. Not everyone is like him and most only view or ask permission to copy relevant info. Sylvie.

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 27 Feb 2007 07:52

LOL Im with snowdrop

Sue

Sue Report 27 Feb 2007 08:35

Good Morning everyone! Thanks for all your support. I am very aware that the vast majority of GR members are genuine, helpful people and there are a couple of other contacts I've made who have become virtual friends with a genuine exchange of information and support, not to mention all the expert advice on the boards. I'll certainly think about telling him about the error but I'd probably start feeling sorry for him and tell him the name as well! Sue

Grandma6

Grandma6 Report 27 Feb 2007 08:37

I`m with Snowdrop too. Nana

Ann

Ann Report 27 Feb 2007 08:53

Me Too, GREAT idea Snowdrop. I know it sounds nasty but it's the 'minority' of these 'trophy name' hunters that spoil things for genuine folks.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Feb 2007 08:59

well iam new at this, but if it was me i would tell the gr mem, but i wouldt forward the info, revenge isnt nice......but it can be sweet. take care lynne

Richard

Richard Report 27 Feb 2007 09:17

'I tell our name collector and ruin his tree or leave him in peace with his 2500 names' Can I play devils advocate and stand up for this guy? First point I would like to make is having 2,500 names doesn't neccesarily make someone a 'name collector'. I know I have 2,000+ on my tree and these are the result of several years, hudreds of hours, and hundreds of pounds worth of hard work and effort! It seems a lot of people see a big tree and instantly get suspicous. I just wanted to make clear there are meticulous researchers out there with big trees. I do understand where your coming from. This site is all about sharing and for the most part my experience of that has been very positive, I've been helped greatly by relatives trees on here, and I know in turn they have been helped greatly by mine. But I did have one relative who copied my tree, even copying and pasting the notes in my own words, directly on to hers. Not even so much as a thank you either. I was annoyed when I had spent so long and so much researching these. However, when I calmed down I realised people don't always do this because they are lazy. If they are starting out they don't neccesarily understand this is even unacceptable, or appreciate the amount of hard work that has gone into the info they are 'ripping off'. They are probably like all of us just over the moon to find relatives, and ancestors, and want to add them to their tree. Maybe letting him know doing this has clearly lead to his info being wrong, might make him realise he has to take a more hands on approach to his research? Maybe not, but at least give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he reacts? Also I personally can't stand the thought of my ancestors details being up incorrect anywhere, whatever the reason. If nothing else it may confuse other members of your extended family researching in the future.

Sue

Sue Report 27 Feb 2007 09:33

Richard, I know that there are many people out there who have huge trees all fully sourced and its people like you that share your experience with us that has made GR a success. Your reply is really the other half of my quandary, yes he has pinched my tree and others but if I tell him of his error perhaps he'll change or will he just take the information and see it as another 'freebie'? I suppose the only way to find out is to start with Snowdrops idea and just tell him of his error and see what the reaction is... Sue (starting to feel mean again...)

Shelly

Shelly Report 27 Feb 2007 09:58

i have seen this argument time and time again on this board, so heres my pennys worth! I personally dont have a problem with anyone taking details from my tree, including my notes. The information i have is correct to the best of my knowledge and if i'm unsure about something (eg i've been given names and dates by another GR member) i add notes to show that i'm in the process of verifying the information. I wouldnt like someone to have incorrect details that could be passed on to someone else. As for people who just like collecting names, so what! thats up to them, as long as the names and details are correct, its no skin off my nose. At the end of the day, my reasons for being a member on this site is to share information. I have been helped by some wonderful members (particularly when i've hit a brick wall!) and am only too happy to return the favour by helping others find their ancestry. If anyone gets miffed everytime someone copies details from their tree, then they shouldnt show their tree to anyone! but in my opinion that takes away the point of being a member on this site in the first place. michelle

Shelly

Shelly Report 27 Feb 2007 10:20

after that little rant, i forgot to answer the OPs question! lol I would tell the guy that his details are incorrect, then its up to him to do something about it. It may teach him to be more meticulous in his research! good luck michellex

Sue

Sue Report 27 Feb 2007 10:45

Michelle thanks for both answers (I think, lol!) I have no problem with sharing information from my tree - as you say thats the point of GR in fact when I opened my tree to this guy I suppose I knew that he would copy it but in my naivete I assumed that he would take only the bits relevant to his own tree ie our mutual ancestor and his direct descendants/ancestors. However some time back I was searching Ancestry for a connection on my mothers side going back into the 1700's when I found a tree with all the right details belonging to guess who! He is my relative on my fathers side and my mothers ancestors from 200yrs ago can have little or no bearing on his family (I'm probably going to get shot down inflames for saying that but its my opinion) Its that fact that has really irritated me, if another researcher contacted him he would not be able help them as he has no sources etc. And now I've just talked myself into telling him about the certificate - if another researcher contacts him over this he'll be giving them false information which really isn't fair. Thanks to you all for discussing this and helping me to get my head round it all! Sue