Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant Navy records.........Purkiss

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 9 Mar 2007 09:58

Almost given up hope of finding Peter Francis Purkiss, no birth or death records, found his marriage and childrens birth and death records , thought i'd struck gold when family member said merchant navy........spent a fortune and recieved (strangers) records still no sign of Peter supposedly born c 1877 Gurnsey St Peter Port Channel Islands can anyone advise please........Well and truly stuck........ Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 9 Mar 2007 12:46

Well, where/when did he marry? What is his fathers name on the marriage certificate? What are their occupations on the cert? Where were the kids born?

imp

imp Report 9 Mar 2007 12:54

Hi Deborah What was his father's name on his marriage certificate and his father's occupation? Gail. x

Heather

Heather Report 9 Mar 2007 12:55

LOL - snap Gail!

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 11:19

Re Purkiss,sorry to take so long to check my records most are faint and hard to read........ In 1903 Peter Purkiss age 26 ? warf leith (seaman merchant navy) Father Frank Purkiss (shipbuilder) Mother Ina or Ida ? poss Holnas married Elizabeth nee Laidlaw ? poss mill worker age 20 leith edinburgh children deaths....1904 Catherine elizabeth Purkiss died aged 16 days Father peter Purkiss ? warf leith edinburgh (seaman merchant navy) 1914 Elizabeth Purkiss died aged 1 year same details as above for father. 1922 Robert gray Purkiss died age 3 months father shown as Francis peter Purkiss dock lab leith edinburgh. 5 other children were born to peter and elizabeth none still living. many thanks to members who took time to read my message Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 11:39

Re: Peter Purkiss Family have always been told Peter was born in Guernsey, relative went to Guernsey and went through thousands of records and similar names and didnt find a thing........even if he lived, as believed, for many years in Guernsey why didnt he show up on any census records ? Can anyone advise ? thanks Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 11:52

So his birth place is founded on family stories rather than any records you have found? On the 1881 census there is a number of Purkiss on Jersey (not Guernsey) - have you checked Jersey out at all?

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 11:59

Hi,Peters details were word of mouth within the family no actual records were found, relatives who went to Guernsey ended up checking all channel Islands records but couldnt tie in details, a cousin has just told me that part of the story was Peters Father, Frank Purkiss was born in France arrived in Guernsey and changed spelling of the name To Purkiss from ? as it was easier to prononuce....... seems this may be impossible to trace. Many thanks Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 12:04

If you look at the Channel Islands census info you could possibly work out what likely names would fit with a change to Purkiss. I noted a number of Purchase there. How frustrating for you and no sign of him on any merchant seaman records.

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 12:10

Hi, i spent months trying to find a connection via census records, i gave up for a while but will go back refreshed and determind to try again, couldnt find Peter on the seamans records either, think it may be due to the spelling change to Purkiss .......... Thanks again Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 12:13

I suppose the kiddie called Adolphus F Purkiss - grandson on Jersey not possible? I mean, youd want to change that name wouldnt you! Name: Adolphus F. Purkiss Age: 5 Estimated birth year: abt 1876 Relation: Grandson Gender: Male St John, Jersey, Channel Islands Francis J. Coutanche 24 Adolphus F. Purkiss 5 George Purkiss 62 Mary J. Purkiss 19 Susan Purkiss 21 Susan M. Purkiss 55

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 12:21

Hi Heather, thats the record i thought most likely but my family dont agree, but if its word of mouth its possible the Adolphus was changed and not mistakenly the Purkiss....... I was 3 when Peter died i remember a small very hot house in leith with washing on wooden pulleys all along the roof a livingroom -kitchen type, family think i was too young to remember (i dont ) thats what makes it more frustrating. Thanks again Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 12:44

Can you find the Adolphus birth ref? Have you got Peters death cert? Trouble is, Merchant Navy - he could be all over the world when the census were taken. I take it youve had no luck finding dad Frank (Francis) and mums marriage or on any census?

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 12:53

Hi Heather, i have been back into the ancestry site and can only find the census which has Adolphus Purkiss and family cant find a birth record....... Cousin has Peter Purkiss death certificate, no other information on it that would help, has age, reason of death, and address. Debbie

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 12:55

Whay dont you whip over to the other site where the super sleuths are - perhaps they can help?

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 12:55

Checking my records to see if i found Peters parents marriage certificate, im sure i have it but the original record was very faint and almost impossible to read, will go look. Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 12:56

Hi Heather which other site do you mean ?

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 12:57

If you arent already registered on the other site Ill send you an invite if you send your email addy. If the cert is faint, can you scan it as you can actually put it on the board over there for people to help decipher it.

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2007 13:04

Ive sent you a pm Deb

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Mar 2007 13:09

Hi Heather, sent you my e-mail address, going through my records i'd forgotton how difficult some of them are to read, it doesnt help that im computer .........easy confused. Thanks Deb x